dynamic weapon proof of concept

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

This is a proof of concept mod that makes several weapons grow as they are used.

Very limited use the adventure and the sapphire. The way I did it has a limitation that a ship can't have more than one of the same damage type.

http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=186
Crying is not a proper retort!
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

A cool idea, but it seems rather limited unfortunately.

You would have to do an override for every station/ship in the game to apply it.

And, I guess, any weapon that was going to have dynamic damage would need to have the data added.

It seems to have some strict limitations, as you mentioned. Does the damage type limitation apply to any weapon or just the dynamic weapon? Do you think there could be a way to target the specific weapon added easily?

Code: Select all

;do the damage
				(dynItmGetData weapon "damage" aAttacker)
I don't understand how you are actually applying the damage, care to explain a little about the (onChangingDamage) process?

The function dynItmGetData is applying the damage? How does that work? It just seems to be changing a global data on the item, hard to see how that actually gets translated into damage.

Edit- Forget that damage question- it's a property of <OnDamage>, right? Your function just returns the amount of damage to apply, based on the stored data that apparently grows extremely large with continued testing...

So does <OnDamage> only allow you to do a single damage event? Have you tried applying multiple damage types and amounts in the event?
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

the biggest restriction is due to I don't know a way of getting what weapon fired the shot, the best way I could think of (and it was really digdug that thought of it) is to say that a ship couldn't have more than two weapons of the same damage type.

This applies to dynamic and non dynamic weapons (I didn't bother allowing for non dynamic weapons in this mod)

It would be easy to allow for stock weapons to be used in a real mod but as I said before the problem comes from finding what weapon was used.

Multiple/new damage types that would be easy to add in. As would new enhancements. (that relate to when something is hit of course)

edit: I don't know what you mean by the multiple damages. Can you explain what you are thinking that would do?
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

OnDamage can set a damage type, yes? what I am wondering is if it can apply more than one damage type through the event:
"laser 2" and also "kinetic 4" but I don't think that it can, so nevermind.

Tracking the firing weapon is the real trick to this mod! We should try to figure out a way to get that information available for the onDamage event.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

ooh just had an idea it would depend on how flexible the xml damage types are but I might be able to put any string I want in there and that would answer the problem.

am going to test now.

edit: sadly you can't put in custom strings for the damage type, that would have solved the ID easily :P
OnDamage can set a damage type, yes? what I am wondering is if it can apply more than one damage type through the event:
"laser 2" and also "kinetic 4" but I don't think that it can, so nevermind.
That wouldn't be hard just do damage from in code. You would have to find out what to damage but that is not insurmountable.