Boarding Parties

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

as Betel wrote some time ago, "Be careful on not storing any objects or pointers or lists containing them." using objSetData.
Sooo I guess (objGetItems gSource "* +Board") is a pointer?

I'm trying (objSetData gPlayerShip "dfItem" theItem)
where theItem is in the station. I need to set it because the Dockscreens move to a standalone where gSource doesn't reference the station anymore (as I understand, anyway)
What could I use to set theItem without using a pointer? Can it be done in two steps?
1 (setq theItem1 (objGetItems gSource "* +Board")
2 (objSetData gPlayerShip "theItem2" theItem1)
I have actually been working on a writeup that i wanted to post regarding this idea. It is not quite done yet, so I will try to finish it up for this weekend. I have been reading up on some old wargame strategies and gameplay mechanics, and have tried to include some of them.
I'd love to hear your take on it. I was trying to mimic D&D rules (d20 ver3.5 to get geeky about it) albeit, extremely watered down.
Again... It would be really cool to chat with you in irc about this . I'll stop bugging you about it as soon as you do as i say! j/k
lol, I need a new IRC client (my MIRC expired) and I am online at very irregular times. I'm in Canada but work nights so I'm online usually after 9pm local (GMT - 4 Hours)

A mod like this will require quite alot of lists to look up in for reference values. When it comes to which ships can carry units, my proposal would be to determine that 'on the fly' (in the same initialize function) based on the ships level, the system level and the ships mass/cargo capacity. All of these values can be determined from script.
Exactly.
A primary list with all the ships that MIGHT have troops, if the current wreck is not on the list, no troops.
If it is on the list, check a list (one per soverign) and randomly choose which troop to spawn, and the number of troops modified by the system level.
Cargo/mass/shiplevel would be considered when building the initial list,

OOohhh :idea: Track the player's relation with a soverign and/or number of kills in the system to spawn more/better troops in their ships. This could be the enemies mobilizing/drafting their reserves, outfitting their soldiers with better equipment.

I'm currently looking for some graphics if anyone knows where to find some, or better yet, make some (?!) That would be totally awesome!
I'm looking for item icons (96x96) for the troop items and maybe some neat dockscreen backgrounds (800x600) Pics of Ship interiors, cargo bays, corridors, etc.
Right now I'm studying Korolov.xml to see what I can/cannot do with the <Display> tags in Dockscreens. Try and spice it up a little!
As for the problem of attacking a ship that has a huge army (or you have none) we talked on irc about the possibility of introducing mercenaries, and have the player have a 'phone number' to call and ask for assistance. For a price of course. Also, the player could pummel the ship with WMD weapons, thereby reducing the troops onboard (and possibly damaging the loot), before docking with the wreck and clearing out the stragglers.
I like these ideas. I still haven't figured out where the player is going to get their troops. Droids are the easiest answer as they can be bought and sold. Realisticaly, noone is going to want to be your boarding party as their survivability rating is 0%. The mercs would be a nice touch. Maybe give the player some choices in the DS for "sabotaging" the life support, (oops, that was the reactor... BOOM!) hehehe or use biological/chemical warfare, irradiate the ship, your ship, the loot. Scuttle the wreck ( I saw that somewhere already)
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'd avoid complications and do a proof of concept mod first, then put in other options. I think your model wants to be risk based http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_(game)#Attacking not d20.

You just have a number of bots and the victim just has a number of marines. Nice and simple and it's really only a side mechanic for the larger game so it doesn't need to be overcomplicated.
Prophet
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I'd avoid complications and do a proof of concept mod first, then put in other options. I think your model wants to be risk based
My only issue with it being TOO simple is that it will lose its novelty very quickly and become more of a nuisance.
It's necessary to build some complexity/challenge to be enjoyable but not too complex or no one will play it.

Talking with alterecco we decided to use a Macromanagement style where the player is a General with limited control over the troops. Instead, you choose an overall strategy.

We moved away from individual stats of units and are focusing more on overall totals that effect all the troops equally. The AI is essentially a puching bag (with a bite).
Coming soon: The Syrtian War adventure mod!
A Turret defense genre mod exploring the worst era in Earth's history.
Can you defend the Earth from the Syrtian invaders?
Stay tuned for updates!