Banks and badies cont.

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Banks:
1. Override insurance to include dock services. (I think there's a mod on Xelerus that covered this already.)
2. Since many forum-goers don't like the whole Pilgrim start, why don't we get a merchant start instead?
it would be
EI500
start at St. Kat's inbound gate
20000 credits to start.
have the normal random consumables for the EI.

3. I want to eliminate buy/sell limits, but it seems too abusable. Modifying them to buy after a while would seem more appropirate.
3a. For a simulated economy, I'd also like to make a "merchant event handler" that is basically a ship that follows the "buy low, sell high' technique.
3b. We could also have stations produce things.
That would mean that:
Ferians & mining colonies: produce ore
I'd also like the Ferians to buy food.
Ice farm: consumables
St.Kat's arcology: the incandecent stuff.
Factories: more consumables
argricultural colony: food
fuel depot: more fuel

However, we'd have to be careful on how to fine-tune both:
modifying buy/sell timers
how fast stations produce items

I'd probably have to work on the Bank station if nobody else is interested in working on Dockscreens.
The bank station would include the following:
A. Account
I'd like a suggestion on the formula for accounts.
B. Loan
Same as account, and I need to think up of ways to enforce the loan, mainly enforcers and the crazy scary guys in the dockscreen.
C. Commodities Exchange
basic commodities exchange
D. Dock Services
basic dock services

Now for the fun stuff... the baddies:
Baddies:
4.faulty loans:
after you leave, in X seconds, you lose the credits you loaned as well as whatever you put up for collateral
5. scam:
worse than faulty loan. You lose X credits every Y time has passed and you have to report to a bank to fix it.
6. Credit drain:
it will be an encounter where some ship uses a quantum CPU to steal credits from your ship to turn into credit ROMs in their cargo hold. (this is why having a bank account is handy!)

7. Stealing stuff:
Very cruel and awesome at the same time. It will a be a weapon that a pirate fires a weapon and then 'latches' onto you as an overlay.
There, several things can happen depending on your luck:
1. You lose things from your cargo hold
2. Worse: the overlay invokes a dockscreen that tells you that the hull has been breached and you have been taken hostage (you can pay all your credits and they let you go).
Then, if I want to be really evil, instead of paying, they steal your ship and you turn into their pirate sovereign, pressed into service and forced to work in a Corsair II.
Naturally, I could also do this with the Sung and make the player forced to work in a Wind slaver.
I'd like to develop missions/ expand on this, but I'd like to get the banks part worked out first.

Update. I've got some help in getting the bank station done. That lets me work on the fun stuff... the baddies :twisted:
I'm thinking of just leaving #3 alone until I actually have an idea on how a real economy works. It's just that from finishing the game, I tend to find something like this:
IceMephit's Recent Win wrote:COMMERCE

Profit on arms 1,123,692
Profit on goods and materials 146,012
Profit on luxury goods 38,733
and it just bothers me that the Pilgrim is a genocidal maniac and is pretty much a floating arms dealer. I'd like to be able to provide an alternative to random killing in this mod, but I have no idea how to balance #3 in such a way that people can't abuse it.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

.........Fake stations or station office encounter ( like the Informer for the csc mission: scam artists )
yes: i think that the way to go for the scam.....if you fault out on a regular station the player will start to avoid the feature.
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
Amariithynar
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

RPC wrote: 3. I want to eliminate buy/sell limits, but it seems too abusable. Modifying them to buy after a while would seem more appropirate.
3a. For a simulated economy, I'd also like to make a "merchant event handler" that is basically a ship that follows the "buy low, sell high' technique.
3b. We could also have stations produce things.
That would mean that:
Ferians & mining colonies: produce ore
I'd also like the Ferians to buy food.
Ice farm: consumables
St.Kat's arcology: the incandecent stuff.
Factories: more consumables
argricultural colony: food
fuel depot: more fuel

I'm thinking of just leaving #3 alone until I actually have an idea on how a real economy works. It's just that from finishing the game, I tend to find something like this:
IceMephit's Recent Win wrote:COMMERCE

Profit on arms 1,123,692
Profit on goods and materials 146,012
Profit on luxury goods 38,733
and it just bothers me that the Pilgrim is a genocidal maniac and is pretty much a floating arms dealer. I'd like to be able to provide an alternative to random killing in this mod, but I have no idea how to balance #3 in such a way that people can't abuse it.
Most of the problem here lies in that there are so many offensive factions you have no chance of meeting peacefully, like in say Star Control (Just giving an example here), and that there is no regrowth of resources on farms and the like. Once you empty oput a place, it's forever emptied (of all but ammo, anyways. It always seems to regenerate). By making it so that it charges a higher premium if it has fewer of the item remaining, and buys things at a lower cost the more of them it has already (these being worn down by a set number, perhaps, as time goes on?) with it doing the calculations at each individual one sold/bought so that you can't buy a large stock dirt cheap then sell it somewhere else for a massive price gain (as is the current system; which would fix that problem in vanilla too).
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Random idea: since the factories really don't do much, maybe we can give them missions so that you can go find what they want.
So if they want palladium ore, they say, "it's at X station and we want you to buy Y of it. We'll give you z credits once you're done."
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

RPC wrote:Random idea: since the factories really don't do much, maybe we can give them missions so that you can go find what they want.
So if they want palladium ore, they say, "it's at X station and we want you to buy Y of it. We'll give you z credits once you're done."
I like this: a mission framework into the factories is good: most players will meet the factory and get upset because it dies not tell them what it wants and experimenting in a universe of easier buy/sell can drive them to avoid the factories ( like I do except when I am carrying Ore into STK, the factories pay higher for some ores ( I never kept notes in my head on which ones, its rare I carry ore that far )

Amariithynar
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Not only that but you can have those mission transacations be completely separate frm the actual item amount so that it doesn't infringe on your ability to purchase ores for yourself.

Of course, that's moot if the ability to generate resources appropriate to the stations is added... Which should be in Vanilla. I'mma go post it in I&S.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

So apparently I'm having modder's block for making Baddies. As most of you should know, Banks is out by sdw195. To complete banks and baddies, I'm going to need some help on making them.
They will be sorted out by levels, but I don't want to make every level bland by having them steal credits over and over. No.... I'm a much more thorough guy. I want to surprise the player every step in the way. However, in order to do that, I'll need a larger pool of ideas.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Here's what I have so far:

Code: Select all

;effects:
	-steal credits
	-steal cargo
	-repossess playership
	-?????

;lvl 1
		ships:
		corsair, Zulu, Hammerhead, Centauri
		???
		effects:
		-steal credits
		???
	;lvl 2
		ships:
		effects:
	;lvl 3
		ships:
		effects:
	;lvl 4
		ships:
		effects:
	;lvl 5		
		ships: Molotok smuggler
		effects:
		-steal cargo
	;lvl 6		
		ships: Dwarg Raiders, Sung slavers
		effects: 
		-repossess playership, press player into service. [Sung]
	;lvl 7		
		ships: Ventari. Definitely. WITH DEVICE DAMAGE :evilface:
		effects:
		-repossess playership[game over]
	;lvl 8		
		ships:
		effects:
	;lvl 9		
		ships:
		effects:
	;lvl 10		[should we really have a lvl 10 that steals your loot?]
		ships:
		effects:
As you can see, there are only 3 effects and most levels of pirates aren't even fleshed out.
Amariithynar
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Looks good so far; Would definitely have a level 8-9-10 that gets progressively stronger and, perhaps, swarms.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I would suggest an over Write to the dwarg raiders in this retribution system by the banks: Dwargs are tough enough to be annoying but if you over-write them to give them Tabled weapons so they can hit the player with surprises from their normal weapon + maybe a disruptor, slam cannon, turbolaser......but because they are Dwarg raiders, killing them ( like a Molotok) is not hard at all once you can handle the weapons they have.
Tabled weapons / shields eliminates the want to add ships to something because when they can be created with options they constitute " extra ships" in the game on the task you set. ( I DID have a Number6 and Number7 : but tabled the weapons on 6 to eliminate the need to have that extra ship in my .xml )
(Edited: "numbder" is not a word )