Multiple Image Series

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I was trying to make a projectile break up and go through stages during flight. For this process I tried using a mag image, missile image and mine image.
In the beginning I was merely using a fireing effect for the mag image stage and it looked fine. After changing to the mag image it's done different things.
1) Not show up at all until after the phase is over, although you can see it on radar.
2) Half way through the phase becomes a white square.
3) Look just fine.

With just two image sources it works just fine. Should I limit the image use to two or is there some sort of workaround?
"Have you guys ever watched the show?" ~ Guy
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

It's possible to have a multi-form projectile...although it won't be the best system ever. You need to have the second stage as a <Fragment> in the initial projectile, then any subsequent stages in embedded <fragment>s inside that fragment (and so on). You may need to have "AutoAcquireTarget="True"" or a multitarget system, depending on how the engine works. You can also make it more elaborate by adding smaller fragments at each stage. To stop an explosion on the early stages, have a failsafe 1 lower than the lifetime...it'll arm, then immediately time out, sending out the next stage. To avoid detection past 30ls, use "Stealth:7" on the projectile/fragment requiring it. The downside of these are that proximity effects *can* malfunction, although versions after 1.0 largely fixed this.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I got the mulit form down just fine as well as freagmenting. The problem I was having, and still am, is that I was using 3 image sources for the effect. I also have it where all stages explode at lessening degrees. The overall effect is good enough for now I just wanted to use different images than what I ended up with.
I though about using a beacon image at first that wouldn't expolode but I figured that was a bit much.

The next problem I've come accross is how to divide a single missile into three or so with a spread instead of a fragment. I was thinking a 30° spread. Any thoughts there?
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Vachtra wrote:I got the mulit form down just fine as well as freagmenting. The problem I was having, and still am, is that I was using 3 image sources for the effect. I also have it where all stages explode at lessening degrees. The overall effect is good enough for now I just wanted to use different images than what I ended up with.
I though about using a beacon image at first that wouldn't expolode but I figured that was a bit much.

The next problem I've come accross is how to divide a single missile into three or so with a spread instead of a fragment. I was thinking a 30° spread. Any thoughts there?
In 1.06 you could also use the <OnFragment> event. That give you control over the fragments. Something like:

Stage1 is an ItemType with an OnFragment event. The OnFragment event fires Stage2 (using sysCreateWeaponFire) and also fires one or more SpentStage1 weapons out the back (at whatever angle you want).

Stage2 can have its own OnFragment event, which first Stage3 and SpentStage2. And so on.

Each of the weapons can have their own Effect and HitEffect.
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I was thinking I might have to do something along those lines. My first thought while sitting through a really dull presentation at the university was having to create a virtual weapon at the location of the projectile to fire but the sysCreateWeaponFire seems like it should take care of it nicely.
I'll try implementing it today or this weekend and see how it goes.

Thanks.
shanejfilomena
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

you know the game is awesome when it has a resonance that gets university students thinking virtual weapons in CLASS!!!!

i love this game :)
Flying Irresponsibly In Eridani......

I don't like to kill pirates in cold blood ..I do it.. but I don't like it..
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

shanejfilomena wrote:you know the game is awesome when it has a resonance that gets university students thinking virtual weapons in CLASS!!!!

i love this game :)
Also high school students logging into the forums during chem revision. Which i what I'm doing now. :P
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Or in computers class :P
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Actually it was a presentation for instructors. If you though class was dull just wait until you graduate. Have to think about something to keep the brain from turning into goo.