Dead stars.

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I'm going to make some pretty pictures of neutron stars, white dwarfs, etc. Not every star should be alive, methinks.

I'll post back with some updates later. Any suggestions are welcome.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Can I add them to Sandbox? I already have some here.
Examples: (I was still testing, so don't mind the green circle on the other blue sun)
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

White Dwarfs generally go through a red giant phase first. Transcendence systems are pretty small and that would probably cook the stargate or send it out of the system.

Neutron starts are definitely out. Those are supernova remnants and a supernova is definitely going to send the stargates into interstellar space if they survive.
Literally is the new Figuratively
travbm
Miner
Miner

Maybe the star systems could be bigger with large stars or small antimatter stars the refuel your ship faster. You could also have a black hole but it might destroy your ship. Glowing nebula clouds could be fun if you can use them to refuel with solar panels like a star. Then you could add super gas giants that can be mined for helium and hydrogen gas. But dark systems would have to have a light source such as a search light added to your ship.
Doing nothing here.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

RPC wrote:Can I add them to Sandbox?
Sure. Let's call it a public resource.
Atarlost wrote:White Dwarfs generally go through a red giant phase first. Transcendence systems are pretty small and that would probably cook the stargate or send it out of the system.

Neutron starts are definitely out. Those are supernova remnants and a supernova is definitely going to send the stargates into interstellar space if they survive.
Aren't there some red giant systems already? There could still be a white dwarf orbiting a red giant, as in binary systems. This would allow for novae to occur, which would be some interesting coding, but a nice addition nonetheless.

Since we're not dealing within the timeframe of billions of years, we can assume that the stargates were implemented after the supernova occured. The ancient races need to have access to neutron stars -- otherwise, how is neutronium available in-game?
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
Patupi
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

You know, one thing I've always wondered about. Neutronium. Built from normal matter, crushed under incredibly gravitational gradients, compressed so much it overloads the strong nuclear force, compressing protons and electrons into neutrons.... how on earth does this survive when it's taken AWAY from the gravity field that produces it? Wouldn't Neutronium just explode once the gravity is no longer overloading all that nuclear force energy? That kind of field doesn't just disappear.
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

I would imagine that the stargates around larger dead stars (neutron, quark, and other subatomic degenerate matter forms, all but neutron being theoretical atm, and black holes) would have been mostly built after the fact.
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
christian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

why stargates would be placed on dead systems?
Autohummer
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

It is possible that the star had reached the end of its life after the gate was deployed, or the dead star itself served some sort of purpose (Neutron Stars as a source of Neutronium?).
Has resurfaced!
christian
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

The Stargates on those systems probably should be somehow different, to resist all the gravity generated by those anomalies...And those dead-stars should drag out ships without appropriated engines and may be AntiGravity-Shields-devices...
Patupi
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

That's one thing I always hated about certain scifi stuff. You see a lot stuff about a star turning into a black hole (or similar) and suddenly, what was in orbit around said star is pulled into the black hole. No matter was magically created, the gravity field is NOT bigger, it's just got much much smaller, thus you can get nearer the center of gravity without reaching the surface, thus the nearer you get the stronger the gravity gets. Out at that orbit you were at before it became a black hole you'd feel maybe tidal forces (ripples in gravity field in this case from increase in rotation as it shrinks) but could still stay in the same orbit.

Unless the 'anomoly' is somehow creating some non-mass created gravity field the stargates would have no trouble just orbiting it just like a planet. Even if the G field is increased they could either move faster in the current orbit, or move further out. Shouldn't be a problem unless you get randomly variable G fields. That could be tricky to maneouver!

(EDIT: I'm getting to be a real sourpuss in my old age aren't I? *sigh* Just realised half my recent posts are rants against reality *lol* Ah well, this is fiction after all)
DangerousDude
Anarchist
Anarchist

Hmm...Methinks it would make Solar Panels and Solar Armour even more useless...
I Blew Up The Charon Fortress!
I Beat The Slicer!
Cygnus.X1
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Hmm, this brings to mind a classic sci-fi staple scenario, rescue something from the edge of the point-of-no-return of a black hole's gravity well. Does Trans do gravity wells on stars yet or is that something that would need to be modded still? I've been out of touch for a bit some I'm not to sure what's been updated recently.

And if we did have gravity on stars and planets, it reminds me of the classic "gravity whip" technique from Star Control II, that could be fun for PvE combat in Trans...
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

There is a mod for gravity wells, but the AI cannot account for them.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Vachtra
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

You could also gravity whip in Star Control I. It was the only way some of the ships stood a chance.

I fully agree with the gravity not being a problem after a star dies. The system goes on spinning with a few changes, besides toasted inner planets, but as you get further to the edge it really isn't so bad. If you get far enough out some of the orbits might not change at all. Of course that would be a pretty large system.
"Have you guys ever watched the show?" ~ Guy