Descendence

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
Androgeos
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Two years ago, just before I went on hiatus from this community and while I was on the verge of completing the Idolknight-class Heavy Fighter, I decided to create something a bit more ambitious: the addition of the ships and weapons from the Descent video game series into Transcendence. I made good progress within the first few weeks, adding two ships and most of the basic weapons, but eventually stopped working on it when I turned my focus elsewhere.

When I came back in mid-July this year, I saw that TheLastBrunnenG had beaten me to the punch and uploaded a Descent mod. I downloaded it and took a look, and was quite surprised to find that he had done his mod up in a completely different way from how I envisioned mine to be like. Looking through the contents of his mod also gave me the motivation I needed to resume work on my old mod. But first, I had to find my backup ... if I ever had one.

It's not an easy task. Between two years of not modding and my extremely archaic way of backing up data (DVDs), the IBM that I used to run Transcendence 1.01 on - which also contained (at the time) the most recent working copy of my mod - died. I didn't even know if I backed up a copy of all my work and gave it up for lost.

One rather lousy day, I decided to kill time by looking through all my backed up data. It's a fantastic time-killer - 100 DVDs and about six thumb drives. I went for the thumb drives first.

And I got lucky.

As it turns out, sometime in early September 2010, I backed up a copy of my Descent mod. From looking through its contents, I knew it was a slightly outdated copy - the Mass Driver used no ammunition, and the Fusion Cannon was missing - but all of the other stuff was there. In less time than it took for me to walk down the stairs, I had it working on Transcendence 1.08.

A week after that, I considered uploading it onto Xelerus.
[15:04:21] -> digdug joined the room.
[15:04:22] -> ChanServ changed their mode: +v
[15:04:26] <digdug> hasi
[15:04:30] <digdug> hi :D
[15:07:47] <Androgeos> Hello
[15:09:06] *Androgeos is experimenting with overkill.
[15:15:30] <digdug> :D
[15:19:31] <Androgeos> There are some mods on Xelerus categorised under "Development", digdug. What does that mean?
[15:20:24] <digdug> it means that they are unfinished mods or mods that have only part of the features that the original developer wanted to add
[15:21:18] <Androgeos> Really? That's nice.
[15:21:43] <Androgeos> I was thinking of uploading my version of the GX onto Xelerus, but it's not finished and I didn't know what to put it under.
[15:22:03] <digdug> what is that? a ship ?
[15:23:02] <Androgeos> Yeah. It's a ship with way too many weapons included with it.
[15:23:29] <digdug> cool, so add it under playership, weapon and development
[15:23:38] <Androgeos> TheLastBrunnenG beat me to it and uploaded his completed version of it last year. Mine does things rather differently.
[15:24:17] <Androgeos> If I put it under Godmod, can I remove it from that category at a later date?
[15:24:18] <digdug> well, we have more than one enterprise and more than one molotok on xelerus, I think we are going to be ok with a second GX :D
[15:24:26] <Androgeos> Okay :D
[15:24:39] <digdug> you can edit the tags of your mod anytime
[15:24:59] <Androgeos> Fantastic
So I did. Development of it has not stopped ever since.

This mod was initially called "Pyro-GX", but within two weeks of my first upload, I felt it no longer described the mod accurately, so with my pathetic skills at creating nice names, I mashed "Descent" into "Transcendence" and got "Descendence".

The rest is history.

This mod has been released. View the announcement here.

Download page at Xelerus.de
[10:42] <Katami> TTECH: IT SEYS "ONCE YOU ENTAR A EYSTEM HAHAHAHAAHH~~~!~~~!<3<3<3
[10:42] <Katami> ~ROLLL 1D100 L0LL0LL0LL0LHAHHAHHAH!~!!~~:-):-):-)
Androgeos
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I went overseas for a month. During that time, my family's modem fried itself, and we were given a replacement that runs ten times slower. Even worse, the MacBook I used to finish the first incarnation of Descendence lost AirPort capability. This, along with the need for me to get a stable job two months from now, will severely restrict the amount of time I have to continue developing Descendence, which is unfortunate, because I do have some future plans for it:
  • Reorganise all the UNIDs to a custom three-letter system similar to the current (established) method
  • Add HUDs
  • Add a targeting reticle
  • Add the Black Shark Missile
  • Rewrite the Napalm Missile
  • Split Descendence into two (or even more) mods, with the first being a required dependency for subsequent mods
It's all very ambitious, and I honestly do not know how to make half of the things on the list work, although I know it is possible. At the very least, Descendence in its current state is a stable release, which is something I'm satisfied with.

To end off this post, compare this, the Descent 3 Installer splash screen...

...to this image I mashed up in Photoshop.

Arial Black and Enter Sansman. It took me years to figure that out. :?
[10:42] <Katami> TTECH: IT SEYS "ONCE YOU ENTAR A EYSTEM HAHAHAHAAHH~~~!~~~!<3<3<3
[10:42] <Katami> ~ROLLL 1D100 L0LL0LL0LL0LHAHHAHHAH!~!!~~:-):-):-)