New Adventure/Mission Suggestions from IRC Day 10/2012

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
Cygnus.X1
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Based on both the Q&A with George, as well as the discussions in the Lobby room, I'm jotting down the following suggestions for new adventures to help George fill in some of the gaps in the game. Anybody that would like to take one of these suggestions on, please reply here so you can coordinate with other interested modders.

Based on canon descriptions, Fusion Triggers are illegal by themselves, but are used in the manufacture of Lucifer missiles, which are not illegal but rather restricted to military use only. One possible suggestion is to create a mission of some sort for Black Markets that if successfully completed, will allow you access to a fabrication function that will convert Fusion Triggers into Lucifer Missiles that are also flagged as "illegal", much like "Cancer Dust" is illegal due to licensing restrictions.

A corollary mission could also be made for CW Fleet stations to do the same thing for pilots of a certain high-level fleet rank, but to manufacture the military-only version of the Lucifer missiles, based on the assumption that a high-ranking fleet officer shouldn't be hassled for getting the components needed for a missile they are allowed to buy anyway.

George himself admitted that Elysium is bare-boned. Functionally, it serves as a nexus point to jump between all the unique system levels, but getting there is an easter-egg (spoiler: use a Transpace Jumpdrive while on top of a normal stargate, or find and use a Gem of Despair). He would like to have some kind of adventure associated with the Tan-Ru-Dorem station in the system that has at least some kind of background information on why the system exists, why the stargates there look different from the normal ones, etc etc etc.

Many have expressed the opinion that the SRS enhancements and the Targeting computer should be installed on the playerships from the beginning, or at the very least, available as a mission reward very early in the game. Currently you have to get somewhat lucky and find one of the upgrade ROMs available at a merchant station, which includes the unfortunate chance of never finding them in an entire run-through. Much as the Galactic Map Rom is always available via a "retrieve the guarded treasure" mission, having a set of similar missions available in Starton could serve as both good excuses to get the upgrade ROMs, and also as a way to create some tutorial missions to teach new users some of the basics. The auto-pilot upgrade is on all playerships by default anyway, but it could be easily (?) changed into a guaranteed reward for a tutorial mission as well.

I would love to take on all of these ideas by myself, but my 'play time' on computers is limited by real-life factors such as a job and a large active family, so I must limit myself to one project at a time, and I already have a list... :oops:

Any comments, suggestions, criticisms, etc and so forth are more than welcome :mrgreen:
Last edited by Cygnus.X1 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

I already have an autopilot in Utility Items.
As for a tutorial system, would it be a separate adventure or part of Starton?
I'm going to do a tutorial for Star Network so I might as well hit two birds with one (metaphorical) stone :D
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Cygnus.X1
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

RPC wrote:I already have an autopilot in Utility Items.
As for a tutorial system, would it be a separate adventure or part of Starton?
I'm going to do a tutorial for Star Network so I might as well hit two birds with one (metaphorical) stone :D
"itAutopilotROM" already exists in Vanilla Trans and I've seen it for sale at random, but it's totally useless unless your autopilot somehow got damaged while playing the game in which case I think it will do repairs. I've never had my autopilot thing damaged, vanilla or not.

(PS: I have read about but not yet tried your more advanced autopilot mod, as I recall it has a way point system that is very intriguing to me ;) but I am intended this topic to making additional mods for inclusion with 'vanilla')

George was not at all specific about what he was looking for in tutorials, I was thinking of just a few short "go over there and do stuff with this new ROM" style missions from the Starton station, maybe have the first one be from the Sister's station since that's where you always spawn at first. Having a separate adventure set for tutorials sounds nice, but kills the idea of having the various 'standard' visual enhancements as a guaranteed reward like the Galactic Map.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Okay, I guess I have a blanque cheque for tutorials?
As for Vanilla, I'm more of the "make the mod yourself and play" than "wait for George to include to Vanilla". I'm sure my mod will end up on the multiverse or something if I don't give it for free on Xelerus first :P
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.