Industrial Pilgrim mining pack

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
Jay2Jay
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Hello again!

Industrial Pilgrim is my newest mod idea that improves and expands upon the Transcendence mining system and the mining pack by WillyTheSquid and TransGeek! This mod includes many new ore and armor types that I had initialy planned to release with TCE and a few that I didn't.

The first thing that you will notice is te change in mining mechanics, you can't just go in mining willy-nilly anymore, you need a plan. Certain equipment mines certain groups of ore or certain asteroids. With most ice asteroids you can just burn away the ice and water, leaving the exposed ore behind, but for more delicate minerals or to mine the ice itself, you will need specialized equipment. Stony asteroids are usually the same, just burn away the useless matter to leave the more durable metals and ore behind, but some stony asteroids
Require special equipment to extract the ores. Volcanic asteroids always require specialized equipment to mine.

Ores that I plan to include now are Kerocite, Nyxium, Sytricite, Soldibit, Casbithium, and Gheldspar. (Note that I made up the names and that these ores are completly fictional so if they look like real ores it is purely coincidental) These are a very few of the almost hundred types of ores that I am planning.

Ores can be refined into minerals/metals and then sold for a higher profit, or sold as they are for a quick buck, or even manufactured into components that can be used to create items. Manufacturing is a long ways off from even being in the planning stages, at least for manufacturing anything other an the basic components or armor segments. Weapons assembly plants will pay high for high quality components, and the tinkers will too. You will need either special equipment available only for large industrial ships or equipment in stations to refine or manufacture anything, with lower level stations losing more minerals in the refining process and taking longer to do anything than a higher level station.

Teraton fabricators will enhance equipment based on how many minerals of what type and the usual energy and mood factors. The rarer the minerals, the better the enhancement, and sometimes you may get random items if you put enough of each mineral in.

Things that I will be changing are durasteel and plasteel as they are both alloys, despite having a respective ore type, so they wont be getting ore types.

New materials include iron, lead, plutonium, iridium, osmium, silicon, tin, copper, steel, ethersteel, helium, xenon, sodium, salt, and other basic materials, including some alloys and crystals.

Supply and demand come into play here, cw stations may be interested in basic metals, materials, or components to repair their stations, but they wont be buying any advanced, rare, or luxury materials, but that weapons assembly plant might be interested in your refined tritium. Corporate enclaves wont be as interested as they used to be in buying your uranium, but the manufacturing level might, and the maintenance man always needs to fix something.

I plan to make wrecks randomly generate scrap that can be reprocessed as can weapons into components. Salvage can include electronic equipment which can be reprocessed into materials and components like semiconductors and wiring.

Salvage materials include polymer bundles, scrap metal, burnt wiring, damaged weapons/shields/devices, weapon chambers, plastic casing, and hull pieces.

Some salvage will yield components or rare materials when reprocessed, and it can all be sold to tinkers. Salvager nomads will automatically salvage and scuttle wrecks, as will Gaian processors. Be on the lookout for special salvaging equipment which will create salvage when used on a wreck. Some ships are more likely to yield certain salvage more than others, with Iocrym, luminous, and Hauri ships yielding the best salvage and Gaian Processors yielding the most as that is all they do.

If you would like to see anything in this mod, want to help, need help, or just want to comment, then please comment below.

Peace,
Jay2Jay
Last edited by Jay2Jay on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pixelfck
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

It seems like an interesting mod idea.
Any thoughts on compatibility? Is the plan to minimize overwrites? or do you plan to go for the maximum in-depth experience?
Download the Black Market Expansion from Xelerus.de today!
My other mods at xelerus.de
Jay2Jay
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I plan to make the mod as compatible as possible, while still having an in-depth experience. I certainly hope to cut down on overwriting as much as possible, however I will sacrifice compatibility for the sake of making the mod behave as I want it to.

Although I would love to make Industrial Pilgrim compatible with the Mining pack by TransGeek and WillyTheSquid, I do not see that happening as IP's main purpose is to provide an alternative to that very mod, while also changing some mechanics to make mining/manufacturing "sufficiently difficult" to justify the addition.

Aka, IP makes mining more difficult, (as that is what most of my mods will do) because I believe that it is seriously unbalanced, as it is too easy.
Jay2Jay
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I shall from now on take out Casbithium, because as I was just notified by Wikipedia that it sounds like a combo of Cassiterite and Bismithinite which are both actual ores for tin and Bismuth respectively.
Jay2Jay
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

So just to let you guys know I am still working on this mod. I actually haven'd done much coding yet, since it turns out that alloys and metals are actually very complex. For instance, steel is actually a more refined and tempered form of iron, instead of being an alloy (although almost all metals are alloys since it is almost impossible to completely purify them) like I thought. Steel contains trace amounts (less than 1%) of phosphorus, sulfur, silicon, oxygen, nitrogen and aluminum as impurities. There are many different alloys, and stainless steel actually exists in several different types from being an actually alloy (87% iron and 12% chromium) to just being coated with different elements. Carbon steel, super-alloyed steel, Damascas Steel, etc are all very complex, and manufacturing is very complex also.

To further explain some things, I am completely removing all my current fictitious elements and metals except for ether steel which is made from something already ingame.

Different types of components/materials that I am working on include

-Metal sheets of various thickness (needed to make armor)
-Supports/struts (needed to make barricades/reinforced armor)
-Coatings
-Ingots (Will try to get into contact with WillyTheSquid and TransGeek to see if I can use their graphics for these)

Different types of Ore will not be like Hematite or Cassiterite (earth-bound ores) unless they can form under Super nova/nova events and planets exploding. Each ore will have different materials and different material values along with useless things with the ones that have a greater concentration of minerals/metals being rarer and ones with less material value being, well more common.

peace,
Jay2Jay
Jay2Jay
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

I will be taking some online classes for metal working and classification in order to do this pack better. It may take me awhile because I need to take 2 classes before I can even start on the steel class, so please be patient.
the_Butler
Miner
Miner

I've always been a big fan of mining, even before I cooked my brain it's always been fun to me. In EVE I spent more time mining than anything, in Earth and Beyond it was the same.

However in EnB there was a chance that an asteroid might spawn a critter of some sort, could you put something like that in your mod?

Claim jumpers might be interesting as well.
Jay2Jay
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Pteravores could be an option....
the_Butler
Miner
Miner

Jay2Jay wrote:Pteravores could be an option....

Only on petracium 'roids because that's what they eat. I don't know how the game works well enough to know if you can make 'roids spawn specific entities based on what they contain though.

It would be interesting to see Ferians get hostile when you start mining in their claims, for my game my son had come up with a giant critter that we just called "diablo'roids". It was a mollusk like creature that would live in hollowed out 'roids and snatch up passing ships. Might be an interestiong surprise when a big mouth comes reaching out of an asteroid to snatch you up. In the beat there are some large 'roids avaible that might be usfu8le for this.

Ok time to stop posti8ng I'm losing my fingers loll.
WillyTheSquid
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

WOW. Okay, I want to collab with you on this.

“Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. (Modders) believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.” -Scott Adams

Resident mod-cobbler-together, freakspawn-fixer-upper & musical eclectro-ecumenologist.
If you love something, tweak it and twist it. Keep bending it until it breaks. Rip it apart, remix it, rebuild it. Kill your darlings and stitch them together again.

JOIN US ON IRC. IT KICKS ASS. JOIN THE HIVE MIND.
Place cursor on link. Click link. Never look back.
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Hey, this looks potentially quite awesome, but I'll caution you: don't make it overly complicated at first, first get some basic features working, get something playable out, and then add further materials and mechanics as you get them implimented and working.

Don't worry about having the perfect mod with all the features you want before you release an alpha version!

I'm sure that WillyTheSquid will be very glad to be able to collaborate with you on this project, effectively merging MiningPack 2 and the better features from this mod.

I am looking forward to testing it too :D
(func(Admin Response)= true){
if(admin func(amiable) = true)
Create func(Helpful Posts)
else func(Keep Calm and Post derisive topics)}
Jay2Jay
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

WillyTheSquid wrote:WOW. Okay, I want to collab with you on this.

I just had a heart attack. This is so epic I don't even have the words for it!

Allow me a moment to gather my things!
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The pony is strong with this one.
(func(Admin Response)= true){
if(admin func(amiable) = true)
Create func(Helpful Posts)
else func(Keep Calm and Post derisive topics)}
WillyTheSquid
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

TG also liked the ponies, so I consider it a good omen.

“Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. (Modders) believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.” -Scott Adams

Resident mod-cobbler-together, freakspawn-fixer-upper & musical eclectro-ecumenologist.
If you love something, tweak it and twist it. Keep bending it until it breaks. Rip it apart, remix it, rebuild it. Kill your darlings and stitch them together again.

JOIN US ON IRC. IT KICKS ASS. JOIN THE HIVE MIND.
Place cursor on link. Click link. Never look back.