Homeworld-style Adventure Study MKII

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

@ StealthX51 && TVR

I'd prefer to go the marine frigate route first, because that shouldn't involve having to tow the ship in question while it's still alive: we want it to be hard but still possible to convert high value enemy units, but they should still be able to fight back/try to run away.

Though it would be very cool to have a specific salvage ship hull, I imagined that the ability could be a special module or item which is installed on the ship in question, thus allowing the player to design a custom marine ship to suit their purposes, again capture time should be modified on the ratio of score (target) to score (capturing ship). As far as I am aware score is generated dynamically according to loadouts, if this is wrong, please correct me!

Another suggested feature: in the [H]angar menu you should be able to change loadouts of existing docked ships.

As an alternative, can we produce a scaled up sprite as an alternative?
The Mothership is on the scale of an Aquila, or CSC.

Finally: can we possibly integrate that lovely select item by category into all of the item menus inside mothership?
(func(Admin Response)= true){
if(admin func(amiable) = true)
Create func(Helpful Posts)
else func(Keep Calm and Post derisive topics)}
StealthX051
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I would love to change it, but it seems that my flavor of .bmp file is not compatible with Transcendence.

Also, I totally forgot how to make the ship texture less and white in blender to make a bitmask.

Most likely, I'm going to have to switch out the standard banana mothership with a shipyard because some are complaining on how small the ship is.
Last edited by StealthX051 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

StealthX051 wrote:I would love to change it, but it seems that my flavor of .bmp file is not compatible with Transcendence.
 Keep sending stuff to me if you have to. I don’t object to doing up the bitmasks.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
StealthX051
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Alright, thanks Assumed.
TVR
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

@StealthX

It'll likely be easier to just double the size of the model, or double the resolution of the render.

Transcendence seems to accept only BMP V3, but JPEG bitmasks are also good.
Fiction is reality, simplified for mass consumption.
PGP: 0x940707ED, 5DB8 4CB4 1EF5 E987 18A0 CD99 3554 3C13 9407 07ED
Bitcoin: 1LLDr7pnZDjXVT5mMDrkqRKkAPByPCQiXQ
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

After some gameplay, I've come to the conclusion that the mothership doesn't have a specific way to upgrade it's reactor (something about the CW shipyards is borked, but that might have been an earlier feature request by me)

A cool feature would be once you reach under 50% fuel to, depending on your reactor's accepted fuel level, automatically refuel the reactor, up to 75% (using fuel items in the cargohold), Or fabricate the highest level fuel items your reactor accepts, which are in your list and use them, automatically recycling lower level fuel items if RUs are insufficient.
This feature could be on a toggle button so that you don't accidentally burn loads of fuel that you're hoarding for trading or whatever.

An alternative to my previous suggestion, for the Item Fabrication menu (integrating view by category, though it would still be nice to have it integrated into the rest of the item menus) We should have two Menus inside the Fabricate Item Dockscreen One [L]ibrary and one [C]ache (names are placeholders) the Cache has all the stuff you fabricate regularly, typically this is ammo, enhancements or repair kits. The Library has all the other stuff that's into your list of fabricatable items because you recycled it for spare RUs, so you don't want it clogging up your main list. You move items on the list between the library and cache with a dialog option in the dockscreen. The cache can just be the main menu inside fabricate items, and the library can be a nested subdockscreen.
StealthX051
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

@FourFire: We have to know whether PSD v6+ and this mod works with 1.6

3/30/15: Redid OP

I'll try to work on re rendering the mothership and a shipyard (just in case). I'll also render a marine frigate. How large do you guys want the marine frigate to be? It should be big enough to be too large to dock with a borer, but small enough to dock with an EI series freighter (not the player ship, though).
TVR
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

-Partially implementated boarding mechanic, try Domina Power "Capture Target" to test
-Integrated View By Category to Item Production and Recycling, other item screens are not quite compatible as-is (Needs View By Item Category installed separately)

The current boarding system is implemented by "Boarding Module" devices. Each shuttle has a 2 slot, 4 t "Boarding Module" that takes 100 seconds to capture a ship or station. Boarding modules are stackable on the same ship, and multiple ships can be used to board the same target. They are also usable by the playership.

Once we have a full Fleet Command screen implemented, it should be possible to assign existing ships to salvage or boarding shuttle role.

TODO:
-Implement Fleet Command dockscreen
-Polish boarding mechanic
-Rerender Mothership
-Ship refitting
-Add category view to more item screens
-Test with 1.6

@FourFire

Any ideas for a reactor upgrade system?

Is there anything in particular broken about CW Shipyards?

More item list sorting should be possible.

@StealthX

Alright, keep us updated on the new renders.

The current version of the mod should be compatible with PSD V6+ and 1.6, but haven't tested it yet.
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Tested some functions in 1.6: seems to work fine, however there are a couple of graphical bugs;
The bitmap is borked, and text fields in dockscreens look a bit odd.

@StealthX051

I think that the marine frigate should be about halfway between the Charon frigate and the Scarab in size, but this is assuming the mothership will be scaled up later like I suggested.

@TVR

Perhaps the reactor system could utlize the XP and leveling up system, have a stupidly large fuel reserve, but initial low efficiency, and then every levelup it increases wattage capacity, and efficiency by 10%.
What is the ship levelup going to be tied to by the way?
In the Wyvera ship mod, it's simply tied to the highest level system you've entered.

I suggest that it could be based on the highest level item and/or hull (do they have levels? use approximate values for highscore?) you're capable of manufacturing.

Further suggestions: it shouldn't be possible to manufacture damaged items, instead recycling a damaged item will add up to (either 1/10th or 1/2 of a) research for the undamaged item.

It should be possible to recycle (and thus manufacture) items worth zero credits, especially dire with Akan shots. Just add a +1 RU value to anything at zero (don't edit items, just how the shop works!)

The CW shipyards won't offer to upgrade the Reactor (this might have been a requested change, I don't remember, the point is that the Mothership doesn't actually have a way to upgrade the reactor without looting it from a raid platform/ventari or getting to St.Kats first, which is noticeable especially when you want to use > level V shields.

There is a bug where if you launch too many ships at once, then they (or some of them) will become wingmen in function; that is, they won't be able to dock again, or take nvoke squad commands but are still listed in the [C] menu and can still take orders via the built in commands.

When will the new version be uploaded?
TVR
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

@FourFire

It's up.
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Testing shows several things:

You can capture stations!
This doesn't count as killing them according to raisu
The Capturing ship behaves weirdly, as in turns around and shoots at the mothership
If the target of capture dies, then the capturing ship will bug out
If you spam the capture button on the same target all the different capturing ships will start a dogfight against eachother (desired functionality is that they should park on top of each other and the capture countdown halves with two, more with more etc.)

The Squadron editor dockscreen requires an "Edit object ubtract item option"

Ships in the hangar should be retireable.

I'm not sure what ratio I've requested in the past, but undamaged items should be recycleable for at least 80% of their manufacture price (or efficiency of manufacturing facilities should be a multi tier upgrade)
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

There seems to be a bug where if you produce a squad, it auto launches and then goes straight for the gate! Bye bye my 100k RU investment!
There must be some association which happens when you spawn in the vanilla ships, which needs to be implemented.

Furthermore, the Hangar should also display the type of shield and devices installed on a given ship.

The docking behavior of the salvage shuttles is unreliable: Is it possible to change the "docking" action so that it doesn't require complete velocity matching, say, as long as it makes it within 1ls then it counts as docked and transfers the items + RU?

It would also be good to design the salvage and capture ships, perhaps a button in the Shipyard squad design edit object menu where you choose whether the ship is a [F]ighter alvager or [C]apture ship

The save squadron design, should also direct you to a text field, where the user can input the name of the squadron.
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Sorry for this chain of posts,
I edited the Salvage ship to be a custom LightIAV instead of an earthzone, and the bugging out stopped almost entirely. it also isn't so much tissuepaper, as it uses the higher level Omsk items.

The mod doesn't explicitly break anything with PSD, but then there is a weird mess of ways to command ships.

There are odd bugs, and things that don't work with the shipyard/blueprints/manufacture squadron; for example you can install any barrel or ROM you happen to have recycled on a ship design; something about having more than five installed items removes the weapons?
increasing the types of hulls you can use and XP system for scuttles doesn't seem to work at all.

However even as broken as the mod seems to be, it's pretty damn fun to play in combination with CC and DySys.
TVR
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

-Added minimum RUs for recycling
-Added "Examine loadout" to Hanger Bay
-Fixed armor installation/manufacturing/autogate bug

Updated the repository on Xelerus. Boarding shuttle AI is slightly more complicated to fix (there is no engine support for docking with enemy ships), and will have to wait until future versions.

@FourFire

The bug was probably in armor installation when manufacturing a ship with new armors; turns out that feature hadn't been implemented yet, good catch.

Keep up the good work on the testing, we'll slowly implement all of that feedback into the project.

Don't forget to upload contributions to the repo!
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

TVR wrote: Boarding shuttle AI is slightly more complicated to fix (there is no engine support for docking with enemy ships), and will have to wait until future versions.
 It sounds like there should be something you could do with (objSetProperty boardingTarget 'dockingEnabled true) to make that work.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)