Need advice please

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
Cpt. Niceguy
Miner
Miner

Hi guys, here's the thing, I want to start modding and lasers are my thing so i wanna ask how easy(hard?) would it be to apply glow effect to laser weapons,something that would give off the appearance of bloom, is it even possible, would the engine allow it?
If it is possible but very hard, GOOD, that means trial by fire.

EDIT: Thinking of it, i wanna apply it to engines and particle guns too
This signature is here solely for the purpose of you wasting time to actually read it.
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Here is an incomplete list of effects you can do ingame. I don't know what you mean by glow so I'm going to guess that you'd want starblaster effects:
http://transcendence.kronosaur.com/wiki ... ml/effects
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

It's probably possible in one way or another. Might need some engine-abuse though.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Cpt. Niceguy
Miner
Miner

RPC wrote:Here is an incomplete list of effects you can do ingame. I don't know what you mean by glow so I'm going to guess that you'd want starblaster effects:
http://transcendence.kronosaur.com/wiki ... ml/effects
glow around the bolt,you know how bloom effect works around shiny things in let's say some ENB mods,that glow, around the bolt
Shrike wrote:It's probably possible in one way or another. Might need some engine-abuse though.
engine abuse as in?
would the engine suffer if there was a load of projectiles on-screen and the effect was working, lag or crashing maybe?
This signature is here solely for the purpose of you wasting time to actually read it.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

As in "fake it with a different effect". I haven't messed with bloom effects before though. One option if you can't do it normally would be to abuse the hell out of <Flare>.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Cpt. Niceguy
Miner
Miner

Shrike wrote:As in "fake it with a different effect".

LOL

<Flare> was my first thought too but wouldnt the FPS suffer, could the engine take it?
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Supposed your computer can, the engine can take a surprising amount of objects.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
Jeoshua
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Unfortunately, the game engine also doesn't process low-alpha bitmasks quite properly when in close proximity to a star, due to the spaceColor attribute they have. I've tried for years to make the stars in Parallax Worlds actually have a thin, tenuous corona (which is sort of similar to what you're describing, in terms of what would be required to make it look good), but only succeeded in making the colors look really horrible around the supposedly transparent edge.

What you're describing is technically possible, but will look very bad in some locations in the game (namely, over already bright objects).

You could do a mostly opaque "glow" effect, and that might look okay, but that's not what you're describing, exactly.