Storyline Mods

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

I've seen lots of cool mods for content/functionality/etc, but I noticed that very few actually tell a story or have some sort of plotline. I've been bouncing ideas around in my head for mods whose sole purpose is to tell a story and to get the player as deeply involved as possible, mods where every choice has an effect on every event in the game and the player is forced to think everything through as if they were really flying that ship themselves, so I'll dump them here and slowly sift through the mix.

My methods so far have been revolving around enormous lists of variables (somewhere along the lines of one per consequence-action), even more gigantic dockscreen/dialog lists to implement consequences, and still more lists of modified wingman base code for each other developed characters' actions/reactions. The goal is to treat each scenario as an interactive story, one which manipulates the player's emotions like a book or movie to create a deeper experience and make them think "What would I really do if this happened to me?" without overdoing the complexity. A big part of it is simulating other people that the player can interact with and who you can watch develop over the course of the scenario. Wingman dialogue (what do they think about events/actions + giving the sense of interaction) and AI (individual personalities influencing strategy + making sure important characters don't die in the first minor encounter because of sheer stupidity) custom-tailored for each other character seemed like the best way to go about this, but the current setup doesn't give the player any way to respond outside of dockscreens.

This style drags the focus away from piloting/combat skills a little, but having to think your actions and strategies through to implement your skills effectively is a challenge in itself.

So... Thoughts? Ideas? Criticisms? Slander? :wink:

The biggest problems at current are having to use enormous lists to provide interaction and the player's current difficulties in responding to dialog. Another little hitch is my illiteracy in t-Lisp :oops: :mrgreen: and the fact that I have yet to locate the code for creating an AI. I'm adept at creatively modifying and re-purposing preexisting code, but I have a little...er...difficulty in creating my own t-Lisp from scratch.
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, this is why that sort of mod is rare right now. I fully support the idea though: mods that add plot are a cool thing to have.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

Any suggestions as to how to make the whole system more efficient? I don't know if t-Lisp supports extensive array manipulation, but that could at least help to compress the variables.
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."