Overlay mod information

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I think the wreck of a ship is created by using the original graphic and placing a generic overlay over it to make it look dead and crappy. Similarly the pteravores are just a starfish overlay on the ship graphic. Also the disabled devices shown when using "B" are also the enabled graphic with a grey overlay. Is this true?

If so it should be possible to change the appearance of a ship to a different colour by placing an overlay on it full time. Can this be done?

I'm looking at making a mod that can change drone ship colours when using Player Ship Drones. It may also be possible to use it with autons.

I just want to be able to tell which drone (or auton) is which to make it easier to add devices and armor without having to check the current equipment all the time (plus it might look good if done right).

Another option is to have a large number on each ship that looks like it is painted on the hull.

Any thoughts on how or if this can be done? Or any other ideas? To me it seems a better way than changing every ship graphic.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

The numbers might be able to add in a manner similar to the side mounted weapons in CC.

Devices, as I understand it, turn grey through a filter rather than an overlay.

As for your original idea, I believe George plans to make it possible to create custom effects similar to the green glow of radiation. That's probably exactly what you want.
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

I think it would be easiest for you to just copy the code for adding the pteravore overlay (below), swap in number graphics, and fiddle around with the placement as you see fit. I don't know how extensive/precise control over the orientation is, though.

Code: Select all

<OnDamageArmor>
	(block Nil
		; Add the pteravore overlay, but only if we don't already
		; have too many overlays

(if (leq (count (objGetOverlays gSource)) 12)
			(objAddOverlay 
				gSource 
				&ovPteravoreFuelDrain; 
				aHitPos 
				(modulo (add aHitDir 180) 360)
				)
			)

; Return full damage
		aDamageHP
		)
</OnDamageArmor>
@JohnBWatson Ugh, we sooo need a new version of that. *closes eyes and crosses fingers* Please bring us new code this year, Santa, please...
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Thanks for the info. I will give the pteravore overlay code a go with numbers. Or maybe a colured cross or star, etc. Given that the pteravores stay on the same spot on the ship as it turns the numbers should also stay "in place". Or maybe I can use the ore marker numbers in PM's mining mods. I'm thinking a number to the right of a ship but not rotating with it would work. Of course I have to get it working first :lol: .

And yes, those custom effects sound great. Pretty please :) .
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!