Start with Solar Panel Array

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

If you go with the mini-fabricator type option, check out the MicroFactoryModule and ArmorRecyclerAndCreator mods. From memory one is a mini-tinker device with different recipes, and the other needs fuel as well as armor segments fed into it to produce better/undamaged armor. However they work it could give you some ideas.
catfighter wrote:I can post the fully functional code/ship/etc when I get back, should you so desire.
Once again, yes, please. That will mean I have a working example where I can change things and see what happens. Enjoy your vacation. Stops typing so as to not hijack gunship's topic.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
gunship256
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

catfighter, I'd be interested in seeing the code too. Thanks for sharing it with us so we can all learn from it.

I'm working on the smart patch spider mod at the moment, but I'll continue to give this one some thought. I'm currently thinking of creating two separate mods:

(1) The free solar panel array in the box. When the player opens the box, the mod spawns the original owner parked at the outgoing gate, and the player has to get past him in order to get to the next system.

(2) A Microsaur mod that eats food, damaged armor, and damaged devices in the ship's cargo hold slowly over time and uses the mass to fabricate randomly chosen functional ones. The higher level of devices it's allowed to feed on, the higher the level of devices it will fabricate.

[Edit: A third idea is to make "smart" external, slotless solar panels that automatically fold up when they're in danger of being damaged. This wouldn't be too hard to do, as most of the work is already done in the form of the smart patch spider mod. This would overwrite the solar panel array and make it easier to find in shops, eliminating the need to provide it as a gift at the beginning of the game. Then maybe we can put the Microsaur in that mysterious box....]

What do you think?
gunship256
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Okay - I'm finished! For now.

The item in the box is now a smart solar panel array that can install and uninstall itself based on shield status and the presence of enemies.

I implemented the dockscreens and a "talking" pirate fleet, though the appearance and behavior of the fleet is still buggy. The fleet now appears when the player enters another system after opening the box, and it has a Drake and six Corsair-II's, which have a speed of 0.25.

Thanks for all of the ideas! Please let me know how I can improve the mod further.

https://forums.kronosaur.com/viewtopic. ... 82&p=67019
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

gunship256 wrote: (1) The free solar panel array in the box. When the player opens the box, the mod spawns the original owner parked at the outgoing gate, and the player has to get past him in order to get to the next system.
I recall a mod that allowed enemies to pursue the player from system to system. That might be worth looking into here, to prevent people from escaping retribution by running past the hostile and gating out.
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

Sorry it took awhile; it turned out to be quite a vacation. And I may or may not have forgotten to post the code when I got back. >.>

This is one of my working/experimentation files, so I apologize for the mess and widespread lack of comments. :roll: I think everything except the Locus of Vitality (which was abandoned by the side of the road, half-finished, a few months ago) works but go ahead and "borrow" as you please. And I'm very, very sorry about some of the names; I had a bug a while back that I suspected was the result of improper naming so I stuck utterly random ones in and copy/pasted but never changed anything back. :oops:

The Pawnbringer itself (one of the versions, anyways) starts on line 238 and the "auton" it creates is the very last thing in the file. It contains my standard Modding-Immortality-Loadout-of-Doom (TM) and has examples of custom devices/playerships/etc.

Don't blow up St. Kat's too many times! :wink:
Attachments
Pawnbringer + Misc.zip
(236.38 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

"And St Kats is TOAAAAAAST" :twisted: . Thanks, catfighter. Much better knowledge of the messages now.
Also love the Lighningveil cannon. Thought it was fairly boring until an enemy ship came by. Great effect. And the fading colour scheme of the soulslave is good too.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

Hehe, thanks! I made the Soul Slave back around v1.1 or v1.2 so its outline doesn't blend in quite the same now. But it's still massively fun to play with. If you happen to like fireworks. :twisted: "TOAAAAAAST"!!!

The lightningveil cannon is actually somebody else's, though. I made a similar (but much less impressive) weapon based on Yondu Udonta's Yaka Arrow from Guardian's of the Galaxy, but then I saw/tried out the lightningveil and promptly vowed to (almost) never use my old one again.

And speaking of St Kat's biting the primordial dust cloud, the St. Kat's traffic algorithm needs to make some effort to keep ships out of harm's way. I torched the place, put a rock on the space key (with the Jaereth Annihilator as primary), then switched on autopilot and sat back to watch the fireworks. It would add just a little bit of realism if pilots could see the gigantic wall of energy in front of them which has been and still is obliterating dozens of ships every minute.
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

catfighter wrote: And speaking of St Kat's biting the primordial dust cloud, the St. Kat's traffic algorithm needs to make some effort to keep ships out of harm's way. I torched the place, put a rock on the space key (with the Jaereth Annihilator as primary), then switched on autopilot and sat back to watch the fireworks. It would add just a little bit of realism if pilots could see the gigantic wall of energy in front of them which has been and still is obliterating dozens of ships every minute.
A ministry ticket to that end has been made.