Strafer

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
Peter
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I've been thinking about an idea for a playership with a unique shield generator.

To be exact, I don't mean a shield generator, but a device which takes up the slot of the shield generator. This device would allow the player to 'strafe' from side to side, dodging bullets with ease. It would even allow them to move backwards.

What do you guys think about this idea? I'm busy working on it and will hopefully be able to get it working soon :)
My dream is to one day discover that someone who plays transcendence lives near me and goes to my school. Then I can finally have a friend.
---
Why must I keep running into that wall, impossibility?
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Sounds like an enhanced inertialess drive. This does something like that, but only in the direction the ship is heading.

You need to find a way to change between strafing and pointing... Could be a key to toggle this?
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The Supox special from Star Control 2. Without the ability to read input keys, the only way it can be done (and another old mod did it) is to feature (virtual) ammo that adjusts the direction of the ship when fired. That is too much finger work or too many steps to be suitable in a twitch situation.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
marsrocks
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Peter,

Check out this mod, called "thrusters:"

http://www.xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=738
Peter
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Sounds like an enhanced inertialess drive. This does something like that, but only in the direction the ship is heading.

You need to find a way to change between strafing and pointing... Could be a key to toggle this?
I was thinking of either using a device and invoking it, or having a launcher with ammunition which moves you from side to side.
The Supox special from Star Control 2. Without the ability to read input keys, the only way it can be done (and another old mod did it) is to feature (virtual) ammo that adjusts the direction of the ship when fired. That is too much finger work or too many steps to be suitable in a twitch situation.
That's not the only way it could be done. Using 'objAccelerate' you can apply thrust sideways, and set the duration you want to thrust for. Therefore, it could be useful for the invoke function on devices. In any case, the AI in transcendence isn't programmed to attack strafing enemies, so it will kind of mess with their AI's.
Peter,

Check out this mod, called "thrusters:"

http://www.xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=738
Thanks! I'll give it a look and see how he did it.
My dream is to one day discover that someone who plays transcendence lives near me and goes to my school. Then I can finally have a friend.
---
Why must I keep running into that wall, impossibility?
marsrocks
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Hello.

I haven't been around for awhile. Lately, I have been playing a game called diep.io. In that game you have controls that allow a bit of side-ways movement, and a bit of reverse movement, as well as forward movement while you shoot at your enemies. I wanted to see if I could do that with transcendence, and remembered the mod "thrusters." Unfortunately, when I installed it for the new version of Transcendence it wasn't working for me. I tried contacting Prophet but he did not reply, and it looks like his last post was back in 2016.

(By the way, I really like the new mouse controls that have been added since I last played!)

I have taken the meat of Prphet's mod, Thrusters, with my noob skills, and made a new working mod that is a bit different from his. Not game balanced - but just fun for testing purposes.

I posted this revised mod to xelerus with this description:

"Thrusters 2 is a take off on the original Thrusters mod made by Prophet back in 2010: http://www.xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=738
In this version, there are four different launchers that you can self-install. One gives you an after-burner; another allows you to reverse; and the other two give you side thrust. It works best with a decent reactor, because the thrusters/launchers use fuel. They are pretty fun items to use. The side thrusters allow you to strafe. The after-burner gives you the ability to escape. And the reverse lets you back out of a fight, while burning your enemies who get too close."

This is the link to "Thrusters Two" on xelerus if anyone wants to play with it:

http://www.xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=1633
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

That is pretty awesome. Great images, great effect, and easy to use too.

I have wanted to add some way of slowing large freighters or CSCs without having to spin them around. The rotation can take a long time.
This could be easily adapted to that. I think it is highly likely that I will be stealing, er make that using, your code. Again!
Good one. :D
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
marsrocks
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Thanks, relanat. The meat of the code is all Prophet, and much more difficult coding than I can do.

It will be interesting to see the big freighters using a reverse thruster if you decide to try it.