Strafer

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
Peter
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Strafer

Post by Peter » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:39 am

I've been thinking about an idea for a playership with a unique shield generator.

To be exact, I don't mean a shield generator, but a device which takes up the slot of the shield generator. This device would allow the player to 'strafe' from side to side, dodging bullets with ease. It would even allow them to move backwards.

What do you guys think about this idea? I'm busy working on it and will hopefully be able to get it working soon :)
My dream is to one day discover that someone who plays transcendence lives near me and goes to my school. Then I can finally have a friend.
---
Why must I keep running into that wall, impossibility?

Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Re: Strafer

Post by Ferdinand » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:22 am

Sounds like an enhanced inertialess drive. This does something like that, but only in the direction the ship is heading.

You need to find a way to change between strafing and pointing... Could be a key to toggle this?

PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by PM » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:46 pm

The Supox special from Star Control 2. Without the ability to read input keys, the only way it can be done (and another old mod did it) is to feature (virtual) ammo that adjusts the direction of the ship when fired. That is too much finger work or too many steps to be suitable in a twitch situation.
Download and Play in 1.7 Beta...
Playership Drones v7 (Beta): Acquire and command almost any ship in Stars of the Pilgrim or Eternity Port.
Drake Technologies (Alpha): Updated for 1.7! More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Relive classic arcade gaming in a new Transcendence adventure!
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.

marsrocks
Miner
Miner

Post by marsrocks » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:48 pm

Peter,

Check out this mod, called "thrusters:"

http://www.xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=738

Peter
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Post by Peter » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:10 pm

Sounds like an enhanced inertialess drive. This does something like that, but only in the direction the ship is heading.

You need to find a way to change between strafing and pointing... Could be a key to toggle this?
I was thinking of either using a device and invoking it, or having a launcher with ammunition which moves you from side to side.
The Supox special from Star Control 2. Without the ability to read input keys, the only way it can be done (and another old mod did it) is to feature (virtual) ammo that adjusts the direction of the ship when fired. That is too much finger work or too many steps to be suitable in a twitch situation.
That's not the only way it could be done. Using 'objAccelerate' you can apply thrust sideways, and set the duration you want to thrust for. Therefore, it could be useful for the invoke function on devices. In any case, the AI in transcendence isn't programmed to attack strafing enemies, so it will kind of mess with their AI's.
Peter,

Check out this mod, called "thrusters:"

http://www.xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=738
Thanks! I'll give it a look and see how he did it.
My dream is to one day discover that someone who plays transcendence lives near me and goes to my school. Then I can finally have a friend.
---
Why must I keep running into that wall, impossibility?