[DEV] Elemental Shift

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
Shrike
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Scouting the borders of sanity (there's a lovely view of the abyss).

Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:08 am

A bit over a month since I decided to end development of Shrike's Mines & Missiles (after 7 years, it was about time), I'm now able to start talking about the long-term project that's replacing it: Elemental Shift

Elemental Shift will come in two main parts: The first is the resources, items, devices, etc. I may or may not make this into a library...I haven't decided yet. Running this in SOTP (possibly also EP) will override vanilla items as per SM&M++ and add the extra stations and enemies into the game. This may or may not include an optional add-on for Corporate Command users. It's basically SM&M++ with some things ripped out, everything modernised and future-proofed, and a few extra features.

The second part will be an adventure extension. I have rough ideas for it (plot, characters, some of the key plot missions), but at this point I'm focusing on getting the functional elements working first. Then I'll try working up. I'm no coder, so this will be hard. The player character will be a former Commonwealth citizen, now forced into a life on the run as an Outlaw. While I do have a dramatic arc planned....which I am not sharing.....there will be no Domina V Oracus stuff, no alien influence, etc. I've been of a mind for a while that we need a good villain who isn't god-addled. And I have some truly wonderful ideas of how to do that.

IF that adventure extension works out (and there's a high chance it won't, let's be honest. This is not my first "yes it's time to do an adventure" project), I will probably release it via Multiverse as a registered extension, with a secondary release on steam in the 2030's once George fixes the workshop implementation. It will probably not mesh or work with TBR/TSB/Renegade, simply because I need to confine the playable area for it to work with my current concept. The core code though will work on an SOTP game with those mods, however. Compatibility beyond those big three is beyond my ability to test, and will be a "at your own risk" endeavor. Given it's basically SM&M++, there should be very few issues.

At the moment the first part of the mod is going...well enough. It can't be loaded yet, but I've assembled 15 out of the roughly 20-25 modules that will make up the first version. Given how long SM&M++ got in it's final versions.....there is a lot to go through. There is a lot of old code to revisit, revamp, or remove. I've also updated my armors slightly for 1.8, removed some alterations to vanilla armor, and updated all solar panel devices to the new system (this also makes them far more useful, especially the smallest one). I've also added some new tinker weapons in preparation to reworking their recipe lists entirely. This includes the quadruple TeV9 as their ultimate weapon, so it should be fun.
Your friendly local genderqueer weapons designer & forum moderator. My pronoun is "They".

0xABCDEF
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot
Location: Was destroyed by a Phobos-class dreadnought in the Eridani system

Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:11 am

I truly hope that this is one of those adventure ideas that do not get starved of creativity/motivation/time or just somehow develop a severe case of [Future Release]. Many ideas get written down now but often they remain [Future Release] for some time because there's only one person working on them; I want to change that. PM me if you need any code or documentation help; I want to make sure that we get more released adventure mods.

Code: Select all

<OnFireWeapon>
	(gamEnd Nil "encountered an unexpected error")
</OnFireWeapon>
-Command Screen Library: RTS in a dockscreen
-Extended Justice: A safer Commonwealth for all
-Playership Bones: Revisit your old ship wrecks!
-Please help out our official Documentarist (me) by editing the wiki

Shrike
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:24 am

0xABCDEF wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:11 am
I truly hope that this is one of those adventure ideas that do not get starved of creativity/motivation/time or just somehow develop a severe case of [Future Release]. Many ideas get written down now but often they remain [Future Release] for some time because there's only one person working on them; I want to change that. PM me if you need any code or documentation help; I want to make sure that we get more released adventure mods.
Thank you. There's certainly some of your prior work that interests me greatly. When I'm in a position to do some of the more challenging (to me) things I'll definitely get in touch.
Your friendly local genderqueer weapons designer & forum moderator. My pronoun is "They".

Shrike
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:25 am

Well I guess I should get back to this.....

In short, I had several months of extremely bad mental health in the first half of this year. Dropping SM&M++ development was part of my coping system. Unfortunately, modernising the code was....rather more difficult than I'd thought. However these days I've had a few months of (relatively) good times. So I'm going to resume work. Scope is TBD: to start off with I'm going to try modernising my old code and stripping out parts that aren't needed (some of which I'll use to infrom things I'm writing from scratch as a community contribution for the outlaw miners). I'll also see about getting a version of SM&M++ out for Transcendence 1.7. It won't work properly with the 1.8 alphas: some things (notably solar panels) have changed and would need a rewrite.