idea boosted NAMI mines

A place to discuss mods in development and concepts for new mods.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I had an idea of an upgraded mine based on the CRM500 which could track slowly towards the enemy (like they do now) until the mines get within a certain distance, say 20 ls, then thrust at the object and slam into it.

Or a static mine which sits there and does the same thing if an enemy gets within a certain distance.

As a vague guess there would need to be an event to start and control the thrust, a thrust effect with a very small source and some way of increasing the speed. Operating speed 'emergency might be enough or the initial speed of the mine could be set faster, restricted to give the 'normal' slow speed, then restored/increased to give the attack speed.

I have no experience with missile/ammo code though. Has anyone done something like this or got any hints on how to do it. TIA.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The alternative is to use fragmentation: destroy the mine and fire a projectile that looks exactly the same (using multitarget+autoacquiretarget) at it. I use this with fixed-speed projectiles, but there's no reason (other than the trickery of the proximity-detonation mechanic and lack of custom fragmentation trigger radius settings) it couldn't be done using accelerationfactor and a maximum speed to simulate this, at least to see if it works.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I have done something similar for some of my mod (fragmentation) missiles. I do set up an event to look for targets, and if a target you want is detected within a certain distance, set the missile's lifeLeft property to zero to force premature fragmentation on the next tick. Fragments are as Shrike/Song says, set multitarget and autoAcquireTarget to true. Note that multitarget for fragments only look for targets within range 50 of fragmentation.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.