Mod of the Month - July 2010

Post Reply
User avatar
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 2546
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:23 pm
Location: Decoding hieroglyphics on Tan-Ru-Dorem

Mod of the Month - July 2010

Post by digdug » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:31 pm

Congratulations to SiaFu for the mod SFSpaceStations.

Great graphics editing skillz there !
Image
http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=760
Last edited by digdug on Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Posts: 1656
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:08 am
Location: Enslaved by the Iocrym

Post by alterecco » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:57 am

First of, congratulations SiaFu. This mod really solves a most annoying issue, and very nicely.

We have been talking a bit on IRC about the process of "Mod of the Month" and will in the future be making a poll on the forums to nominate it. There will be some talk ahead of the poll in IRC as to what mods to include in the poll. If some good mods come up in the poll thread, they will of course be added to the poll.

The poll will start approximately at the beginning of the month, and run till the end of the month where the winner will be found, and stickied on xelerus (which has a nice new "mod of the month" sidebar now :)

.] alterecco

User avatar
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 2731
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:03 am
Location: Traveling in the TARDIS
Contact:

Post by Ttech » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:00 am

Wow thats funny. :P I couldn't find this anywhere!

User avatar
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 2731
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:03 am
Location: Traveling in the TARDIS
Contact:

Post by Ttech » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:03 am

Oh SiaFu you won some Metals!
Image

bimbel
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:22 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by bimbel » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:10 am

alterecco wrote: The poll will start approximately at the beginning of the month, and run till the end of the month where the winner will be found, and stickied on xelerus (which has a nice new "mod of the month" sidebar now :)
The mod of the month currently is always one month late for example if we have August we'ld display July.
With your proposal of a whole month for voting this would be distorted even more! The July months would be collected until end of July then the whole August they would be rated and in September we would have it.


Another approach would be to collect the mods and 5 days before the new month make the poll. The time distortion would be a lot smaller with the drawback of a shorter voting/discussion period.

Any thoughts?

alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Posts: 1656
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:08 am
Location: Enslaved by the Iocrym

Post by alterecco » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:43 pm

Hmm, you are right Bimbel, I guess I did not think that one through :)

5 days before sounds fine too.

We could perhaps have two threads running in parallel.

One will be sticked, and contain the current mod of the month (which is actually *last* months mod) and the poll that elected it. It should be stickied for an entire month.

The other would be just a regular thread on the coming mod of the month. Here mods can be suggested and discussed. In the last 5 days of the month the thread is converted to a poll, and then it takes over.

So, we would have 3 thread types, represented by their subject:

Sticky: Mod of The Month - July 2010

Mod of The Month - August 2010
which would turn into:
Sticky: [Voting] Mod of the Month - August 2010

Any thoughts?

User avatar
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 2731
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:03 am
Location: Traveling in the TARDIS
Contact:

Post by Ttech » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:51 pm

bimbel wrote:
alterecco wrote: The poll will start approximately at the beginning of the month, and run till the end of the month where the winner will be found, and stickied on xelerus (which has a nice new "mod of the month" sidebar now :)
The mod of the month currently is always one month late for example if we have August we'ld display July.
With your proposal of a whole month for voting this would be distorted even more! The July months would be collected until end of July then the whole August they would be rated and in September we would have it.


Another approach would be to collect the mods and 5 days before the new month make the poll. The time distortion would be a lot smaller with the drawback of a shorter voting/discussion period.

Any thoughts?
This being for fun it might not matter a month long rating could give people the ability to vote for their favorite mod month long with a rolling winner. Which is collected and closed at the end of the month. Its just for fun!

bimbel
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:22 am
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by bimbel » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:02 am

We got plenty of time as SiaFu's mod is from this month so we'll have to wait whole August for the next rating ;)

And I think we don't need a thread for suggesting mods! My idea was that we take all mods from august and preselect them on IRC.

But that'll have time as said before!

alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Posts: 1656
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:08 am
Location: Enslaved by the Iocrym

Post by alterecco » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:09 am

OK, sounds fine to me

User avatar
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 2731
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:03 am
Location: Traveling in the TARDIS
Contact:

Post by Ttech » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:28 pm

bimbel wrote:We got plenty of time as SiaFu's mod is from this month so we'll have to wait whole August for the next rating ;)

And I think we don't need a thread for suggesting mods! My idea was that we take all mods from august and preselect them on IRC.

But that'll have time as said before!
Yeah we were thinking that too, just not everyone is on IRC so it was a compromise, but since everyone here seems to like that idea. We might as well roll with it.
Everyone can connect using the 'Transcendence Chat' link in Community Forums

User avatar
SiaFu
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:10 pm

Post by SiaFu » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:45 pm

Thanks for the honors. I'm glad that you all liked the mod.

I was away and offline on my vacations so I couldn't see this sooner.
How should I now post the v0.8 update to the mod when the v0.6 is the one that's Quality approved?

I've started a thread with the preview here:
http://neurohack.com/transcendence/foru ... 8579#28579

alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer
Posts: 1656
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:08 am
Location: Enslaved by the Iocrym

Post by alterecco » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:13 pm

I'd suggest you just re-upload the v0.8 mod on top of the old v0.6.

Unless there is some reason to keep the two versions apart, that is.

User avatar
SiaFu
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:10 pm

Post by SiaFu » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:15 pm

I see no reason to keep them apart. I've added comments to the XMLs if anyone wants to selectively switch off each station graphics (since all I've changed is the image reference) or needs to avoid conflicts with other mods.

Now all I have to do is check version 1.03 and I'll upload it all to xelerus.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest