Convenience Functions

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Patupi
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

OK, gotcha. Still might be awkward with unstalling/reinstalling things, but that probably wouldn't happen too often (not with me anyway). If things do get uninstalled you'd have to remember not to use that hotkey if something else gets installed even if that spot is free, thus if the original one got re-installed it could retain the earlier key press

(EDIT:) Guess this mainly applies to weapons and maybe devices, not shields which would retain the same number all the time... or should
TranscendentGeek
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=1086

I created a Bigger Fuel Tanks mod that doubles the size of the fuel tanks for all the vanilla reactors. :)
Schnobs
Miner
Miner

TranscendentGeek wrote:http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=1086

I created a Bigger Fuel Tanks mod that doubles the size of the fuel tanks for all the vanilla reactors. :)
[thumbs up]
now if only I could apply this in my currently running game....
Dedalo
Miner
Miner

I think the game needs a greater variety of reactors. 8-)
In the whole game we don't have any choice in relation to the reactors.
For example:

This is usually the sequence of reactors that everyone chooses. (in some cases we can skip some of them Ex: "If you start with the EI500")
1) Ship's reactor
2) Nova-25 reactor
3) Nova-50 reactor
4) Nova-100 reactor
5) 150NX reactor
6) SN2500 reactor
7) Koshiba-500 reactor
8) Hyperion reactor

As you can see we don't have much of a choice. :shock:

I think that some more variety would not hurt.
Here are some ideas:
- reactor's with more fuel capacity and a little more expensive.
- reactor's with an smaller power output and with an smaller "fuel consumption / power output " ratio.
Physics hurts! Especially when she's in a bad mood.
Patupi
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

True, linear progression of the reactor series isn't particularly inspiring and doesn't offer variation. I don't think it actually hurts the game right now, when you upgrade you get an improvement in pretty much every area, but a little variation wouldn't hurt. Fuel tank and/or efficiency varying would make some difference, as would some of the reactors or reactor addons in various mods. IE the solar reactors from the 912 reactor mod.

I can't see much else that could be done other than a few weird ones. Maybe a reactor that has two output levels. One normal is very efficient on fuel, but set it to level two and it produces much more power, but at prohibitive fuel consumption. Kind of an afterburner for a fusion reactor *shudders* heaven knows what the physics explanation for that would be (changing fuel mix from deuterium to deuterium/tritium? increasing the field compression? Bi-phase mixing the quadri-stable matrix boosters?... ;) )
Star Weaver
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: . . . between the stars and the warm black sky . . .

alterecco wrote:No, there is no way to do that from in code atm. I thought we had that actually. Should definitely be a ticket. The only thing i can see you can disable is the shields, with objLowerShields.
Hmm, I put in a ticket for this a couple days after your post, probably due to chat in irc about the same topic.

http://wiki.neurohack.com/transcendence/trac/ticket/804

Oh, and yes, captain's log is made of awesome. The only thing it can't do is tell you all the systems an item is in, you have to page through the systems and see if matches come up in each one. Which really isn't a big deal. :)
WillyTheSquid
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Dedalo wrote:I think the game needs a greater variety of reactors. 8-)
In the whole game we don't have any choice in relation to the reactors.
(...)

I think that some more variety would not hurt.
Here are some ideas:
- reactor's with more fuel capacity and a little more expensive.
- reactor's with an smaller power output and with an smaller "fuel consumption / power output " ratio.
This is in the works, and will be out before the end of summer. You'll have more reactors than you can shake a stick at.

“Normal people believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. (Modders) believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.” -Scott Adams

Resident mod-cobbler-together, freakspawn-fixer-upper & musical eclectro-ecumenologist.
If you love something, tweak it and twist it. Keep bending it until it breaks. Rip it apart, remix it, rebuild it. Kill your darlings and stitch them together again.

JOIN US ON IRC. IT KICKS ASS. JOIN THE HIVE MIND.
Place cursor on link. Click link. Never look back.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

90% of the time when I play I just travel in the system, scavenge wrecks, dock with stations, manage autons and crates and loot. For all of these operations I have no need of a fuel draining shield. So I turn it off. If I encounter a patrol, I don't even bother raising them as they are usually small fries.
However, in case of encounters that could potentially be lethal, such as a world ship, then domina restore power comes handy. Hit b, turn on the mammoth 100MW, hit I and do domina restore, bam! The shield is fully charged and you didn't even use fuel to charge it !

So, my advice is : turn shields off, it's really worth it.
Dedalo
Miner
Miner

digdug wrote: So, my advice is : turn shields off, it's really worth it.
That depends of shield you have :(
Physics hurts! Especially when she's in a bad mood.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Dedalo wrote:
digdug wrote: So, my advice is : turn shields off, it's really worth it.
That depends of shield you have :(
No it doesn't. It depends on if you have Domina Restore and it depends on your armor (paper thin armor needs full time shields) but the nature of your shield has no impact at all on digdug's advice.
Literally is the new Figuratively