Game Resources Help-

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I have worked up a prototype for a mod that involves adding random branches and more hub type nodes to the topology and also adds capitol systems for major factions- it's an ambitious project, with over 60 nodes currently and I am struggling with additional graphic resources- rather than re-using a bunch of graphics, I am wondering if any graphics modders around here want to throw some new pics and ideas my way, or if you have done some mods and want to try to include your ideas into this project.

I have gotten the topology whipped into shape and have added a large selection of new system types to throw in to the mix- but with the increased game size there is a lot of room for new details- let me know if you would like to help develop more features to play with

I am definitely going to include a stations mod that upgrades the station armor/shield/weapons- making base-cracking more challenging- especially for the new capitol class systems where factions are head-quartered. It would be fantastic to get some new variants on Ares, Ranx, Kobol, etc. types of station graphics- if that is even possible without going straight to the source.

Another certain inclusion I want to try will be the wonderful new sovereign switching mod- courtesy of e____e, if it works well I will add some 'infiltration' or 'stealth' type missions that make use of appearing to be a certain faction for limited time periods and docking at an enemy station to perform your secret mission (such as sabotage of the base shields or planting a virus to disable weapons for an attack later, or stealing battle plans, and so on- the possibilities in this aspect are enormous)

Basically, I am asking for some content help- graphics, new shop types, new factions- anything that will help to make a larger, extensive star network deeper, more colorful and interesting for re-play. I am also looking to acquire ready to go code- i.e. I don't want to try to do everything to fill out a larger network, I hoping some other modders will help fill in details, but your ideas are always welcome and I will implement as much as I can.

I will post up a prototype of random branches with capitol worlds for anyone who is interested once i have a version that is cleaned up a bit more, hopefully over the weekend.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

during summer I may be able to get a interact with pirate mod done (and other dock screen mods). I am more than willing to help!
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Dock screen assistance would be thankfully received- dock screens seem to be the main story-giving component and we can make good use of that for increased depth of play.
e_____e
Miner
Miner

I'm willing to help in my spare time. I have some experience with dockscreens, but I can't do graphics.
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Actually, e____e, you're doing great work and I am planning to incorporate your sovereign switching idea into a series of missions for penetrating capitol worlds. Keep working on the ideas!

After a great deal of hit and miss I am finally confident in the xml enough to push onwards with the random branches + random paths + capitol systems + unique branch end systems concept. Depending on my work schedule I hope to have time to get a prototype up for you all to play around with shortly. I have come to the conclusion that if there is an upper limit to the # of nodes allowed, it isn't going to be a block to progress. I currently have a topology with over 100 nodes working fine as far as I can tell- although many of the nodes remain 'hidden' on a given game build. The game still loads in a reasonable time, and the file size hasn't grown too much. Well, my trans.xml is approaching 750 kb, but it's all for the best. :)

What I have so far is a combination of topology effects that seems to be generating a varied and interesting star network most every game, and my next step will be tightening up the loose ends and looking to develop more interesting and varied content generation- unique stations, unique systems and a whole bunch of other ideas are going into the stew simultaneously so it may take some time to refine a 'finished' mod that is stable and well tested.

It isn't a truly 'random' network generation- the topology nodes need to be defined clearly and I have no idea how to make a script that could actually generate a map- but the combination of lots of preset branches, paths and other variable endings and a large set of rare or unique systems puts a huge potential variety into the game- some nodes I have developed with 6 or 7 alternate paths, each with their own sets of random branches- where you may have to play as many as 20-30 times to actually cycle through all the topology possibilities (and don't forget that systems are still randomly generated so you won't get bored very soon if you like to explore)

This topology still follows the linear progression along a main trunk- although alternate routes are available. So you will still be able to easily determine the path to the galactic core and your meeting with destiny (being Iocrym at Heretic.) I have decided to use the Sisters of Dominia to further enhance your ability to stay on the right path- in essence: no Sisters of Dominia = not on the path to the core.

The straight and narrow path coreward will still be around the original 30 nodes, with some slight variation. I hope to add plenty of reasons to divert for a short jaunt down interesting side paths, however.

Again, anyone interested in helping develop this let me know- I will be happy to forward you the sum of my labors and we can discuss some team development and testing ahead of a more general release.
Kamikaze
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Sir, would you mind sending it to me?

kamallender

@

juno.com

or

@

gmail.com (Preferably the former)
I never said I was sane.

I said I was perfectly insane.
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

hmm... sure. After work today, tho.
Kamikaze
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Mokay, thanks!

I'd like to be as much of a help as possible.
I never said I was sane.

e_____e
Miner
Miner

Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Maybe it would be better if I posted this project on Xelerus. I see there is a development section, so we could put it there with a disclaimer or 20.

Can I just put the specific code changes into a text file for you to install by hand or do you need a ready-to-go file set?
e_____e
Miner
Miner

I'll just have a ready-to-go file set.
Kamikaze
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I'll do hand code.

If it's easier for you.
I never said I was sane.

Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

lol.. like I am running some kind of file buffet over here!

I have a bunch of clean up to do on the large topology, I was just stringing in nodes haphazardly in order to test for a max, but I do have a proto type version that is smaller- it is set up to test some various topology ideas and is equipped with all the systems and entities that the larger version is planned with. Many of them are unused in this version, but you can look for the code in the xml to get an idea for what I am planning. Watch out for some powerful capitol systems early on in the game- I just stuck them there to test. :P

This is by no means a complete mod:

It's fast to put on my server- click to dl topolgy sampler mod
This version does have everything you would need to create a multiple linked topology of your own- check out the ssEntities to discover the systems available. You can open trans.xml and delete the entire topology section and copy in the original version, then play around with adding new twists if you have the desire. Be careful- the unique systems can become troublesome when changing node paths.

This zip contains the xml files only- you will need to copy over the resource folder and trans exe, march.wav, etc.

The next package includes my current in-progress revision, and the systems and topology broken into their own little folders. This is just a mod file set, it doesn't play- these are just my various experiments along the learning path. I have taken the various pieces here and expanded on them to put together a prototype for a large star network. I am including them here in case you want to work on a smaller section like the Ares Capitol, Dwarg System, or the Luminous Homeworld, for example, while i put together the topology.

File Pack dl
Mod 0.3 is a fresh start at the topology that I want to use as the base for the large network. It has the same systems as the others. I had just gotten started, and you can look into the text files to see how things are progressing with the topology. I will be adding to the topology as soon as I post this, so don't get all attached to it. Once I have a testable update I will add a link to it.

My plan is to get the topology running with the blank systems I have set up now, then go back in and detail out the star system builds and start plugging in new stations, items, ships and all sorts of goodies. I figured that a menu of systems as blanks to use in the topology development would be the best first step in a major mod, then we can play around with balancing the star systems and areas of the star network, seeing how different systems build, and so on.

Enjoy. :)
e_____e
Miner
Miner

Protip: Don't delete Transcendence.tdb. Transcendence needs that for some reason, or it won't run.

Uh.. wow. Just.. wow. That's.. a lot of work. I'll definitely have to take some time looking through it.

And lol @ file buffet.. I'd like some soup with that, please..

Edit: Make some sort of debug ship and a debug system with stargates to every system for easy testing.
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

pffft. I have at least 4 running versions of trans with no .tdb, and I have been playing the original version in xml only without any problems whatsoever.

oh.. debug ship? yeah, I didn't include my extensions folder. Make your own debug ship- with like .98 speed of light and 200 system map roms.. lol

edit- in fact, now that I think about it I haven't used a version of trans with a tdb file since I downloaded transdata and unpacked the files. Can you give me a specific on where the game might crash if not using tdb?