Mod wants

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

1. Functions
  • The ability to import, overwrite, or create new functions in extensions. I would like to see functions have IDs.
    The ability to return a value from a function that is not in the same extension.
    The ability to pass any function as a lambda function. (you might already allow this I haven't checked.)
2. Events
  • A event fired for the following things.
    • Weapon firing
      Weapon striking or detonating
      Item usage
      Armor taking damage
      AfterCreate so you can do different things just after the ship or station is created
      Item Equipping
      Item Unequipping that can return a value that allows you to not allow the unequipping
    Allow new events to be created in overwritten/new ships/stations.
3. General Items
  • Allow for random stats from game to game such as 2D6 Mass or damage.
    Allow the modder to access any stat from in code.
    Change frequency so it is a number so we can have more levels of rareness.
    Allow a way so you can have unidentified items not all cost the same for a given class. Such as a list of prices to randomly choose from.
4. Weapons
  • Move Missiles into there own category and just list the missiles a weapon can use.
    Have Configuration allow for delays between the different parts of the shot.
    Allow modder to define the path of the weapon. Such as a curved path or a wave.
    Allow configuration to support repeating (already in if you allow a delay)
    Allow for different than standard power uses when not being fired.
5. Shields and Armor
  • Allow the modder to add more damage types without changing every shield and armor.
    Allow for different than standard power use when at full and a different one at empty.
    Allow for the interference with more types of weapons. (might be in haven't tested it)
6. ShipClass
  • Allow for random starting devices.
    Allow for random stats (mass, turn speed, and whatnot).
    Allow for random image while putting a specified image on the ship choosing.
    Have some more AISettings such as bravery.
7. StarSystemDescription
  • Make it able to allow for different amounts of gates.
    Let random choosing be able to choose predefined planets not just random ones.
    Allow this to be put in an extension.
    Allow the modder to define what random things come through the gates and be able to specify what comes through what gate.
8. StarSystemTopology
  • Allow system names to be chosen from a global pool.
    Give the topology an ID and allow multiple ones in the same extension.
    Allow the game to choose a random one of the topologies defined in the extensions.
    Allow the modder to create a random topology before the game starts. IE choosing all the gates then so that there is no randomness going through the game but each new game has a random topology that can go back on itself.
These are the things off the top of my head. If anyone wants to comment or add more please feel free. Also I will most likely think of more later.
Crying is not a proper retort!
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

That's an overwhealming list!

Is there any way that you can pick ONE feature from that list that would add the most value? Also, can you tell me for that one feature what you're trying to do with it?

That will maximize your chances of getting the feature in the next release.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

heh just covering my bases.

Well I have two that I think will add the most to the game. They are

Allow for random starting devices and
Allow for random stats from game to game such as 2D6 Mass or damage.

Allow for random starting devices
This will allow for some variance between ships of the same class and would also make it easy to implement the hero or ace concept. Plus for player ships it would be interesting to play a game not knowing what equipment you start with. I was thinking allowing tables in devices would be the easiest way of doing this.

Allow for random stats from game to game such as 2D6 Mass or damage.
What I mean by this is you add a value or die amount that is determined at the start of the game.
damage = 2D6 + (startingRange 0 1 2 3 4 1D6)
That would mean the basic damage would be 2D6 but at the start of each game the game would pick a plus 0 through 4 or a 1D6. You should allow duplicates so people can weigh a certain value more than others.
This would allow for random stats in game. This would help veteran players alot because it would make it so they can just memorize what is the best they would have to experiment and they would have alot more fun in game because of it.

I know this one is a harder one to put in so I would be happy with just the first one for now. (not that you need to put in anything if you don't feel it would be good for the game)
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Just one:
maxShips="x" for reinforcements to a station. Ships stop coming once x of them already have.
---
Betelgeuse wrote:Allow new events to be created in overwritten/new ships/stations.
Unless I don't understand what you mean, this already works, at least with new stations.
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

dvlenk6, isn't that already being used?
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

dvlenk6 wrote:Just one:
maxShips="x" for reinforcements to a station. Ships stop coming once x of them already have.
In practice, minShips already does what you want. The station does not call for reinforcements if it already has at least minShips. So you should be able to set minShips to "x" and make sure that the reinforcements table only calls one ship at a time.

Does that make sense?
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Thank you for answering, and yes it makes sense.
But I meant for the maxShips to be a limit to the total number of ships that the station is allowed to call for.

Example, Ranx Fortress. minShips=5, reinforcements are either 1d4 or 1+1d4. So, if there are 5 ships at the fortress and I kill one, 2 to 5 ships will be called, until there are 5 ships again.

Can this pattern be made to end after a specified number of ships have been called for?
Say 20 reinforcements have already been sent, no more are available for that station, even if it's ship count drops below minShips.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

dvlenk6 wrote:Thank you for answering, and yes it makes sense.
But I meant for the maxShips to be a limit to the total number of ships that the station is allowed to call for...
Oh, I get it now. It's not a trivial change because I will have to add a new variable for all stations. Is this something for a mod? If so, why is this important? Or are you thinking that all stations should run out of reinforcements after a while?

I may in the future create an event when the station needs reinforcements. This would allow you to do what you want and more.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

just had a thought on
Make it able to allow for different amounts of gates.

A nice way to do it is to just not put in gates that are not a part of the current topology at that node. That way we can handle 2 or 4 gates with the same system or we can even have Elysium handle different "paths" because the game knows where the player can go because it was chosen at the begining of the game so it would no what gates should not be there.
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

george moromisato wrote:
dvlenk6 wrote:...But I meant for the maxShips to be a limit to the total number of ships that the station is allowed to call for...
...Is this something for a mod? If so, why is this important? Or are you thinking that all stations should run out of reinforcements after a while?
Well, it would be nice for a mod :) , but I was thinking that maybe all stations should run out of reinforcements after a while. If maxShips were randomizable, it would allow some stations of the same type to support more powerful 'garrisons' than others.

I think it is important because I think facing endless swarms of annoying fighters, or spending a lot of time killing a cap ship and having another appear immediately to take it's place, is one of the two drawbacks of the late game. The other being lack of viable ship device setup combinations.

This is just my opinion.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

dvlenk6 wrote:I think it is important because I think facing endless swarms of annoying fighters, or spending a lot of time killing a cap ship and having another appear immediately to take it's place, is one of the two drawbacks of the late game. The other being lack of viable ship device setup combinations.
Cool, that makes sense to me. Let me think about it--while I agree completely that there is a problem, perhaps there are other solutions. Just moderating the rate at which reinforcements show up might be enough.

Another idea is to make the encounters more interesting. Instead of the reinforcements always chasing you, maybe some of the encounters set a trap for you (e.g., wait at the gate for you). Or even better, perhaps there are ways for you to set a trap by the gate so that the reinforcements are delayed (NAMI mine launcher?). Or perhaps you can get a device to jam transmissions so the stations can't call for reinforcements.
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

george moromisato wrote:...Or even better, perhaps there are ways for you to set a trap by the gate so that the reinforcements are delayed (NAMI mine launcher?)...
I really like that one.

One last thought: Maybe there could just be a class of auton with thrust and maxspeed of 0 that you activate near the gate to stand sentry duty. That wouldn't really take anything to implement but a new ShipClass or two.

When you tell an ordinary auton to wait, it does stand guard duty doesn't it? I mean it will stay in place, but also shoot any nearby enemies? What about having a few more auton options such as (P)atrol area and (D)efend target? Being able to set up autons to defend a target would REALLY help with the convoy mission in nebulas (which I don't even attempt anymore - even with powerful weapons, I can't do it!)
the_holy_thom
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

i made a turrert auton in my Holy Inc mod, check that out and see if you like it
Need a mod? Transcendence Mods
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Sorry, maybe auton wasn't the best choice of words.
I think a regular auton, even if it couldn't move, would still follow you through a gate, not sure.

For a trap, it should be a permanent placement when invoked. There wouldn't be any need to communicate with this one. So it wouldn't really be an auton, just an item that creates a ship class.

Even if some other solution is decided, I'm going to make something like this for my own use until an official version comes out with whatever change(s) are decided on.