OnGameStart and OnGameEnd

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

just some ideas that I had

With OnGameStart you can give the player different goals from game to game. One game you are a fanatic who leaves there family because the voice in your head told you to. The next you are a corp entrepreneur wanting to find new opportunities beyond human space. You can even save what one was chosen so it could effect the game.

With OnGameEnd it could talk about what kinds of things you did such as saver of X people or talk about how you are running from human space after slaughtering millions of people. If you didn't make it to the end of the game it could talk about the new chosen one.
Crying is not a proper retort!
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

It's great! I have just begun looking through the xml (well, I began 5 minutes after downloading actually, but it's taking a while!) and the potential for customization is awesome- the intro and outro can be used to create some great plot line intreaction, the new dockscreen <Display> element has me reeling with the potential for making cool new screen effects (like, hello! animation!).

Here's the coolest part of the two new events- they accept script. Any script. This is so much better than bouncing the player into an empty system to set things up (if you know what I am talking about).

You could have script generate all kinds of game changing and arranging from in the <OnGameStart> , and then, as you said, retrieve and display the results at the end.

I can't wait to really get some time to dive into the new mod potential there. :)

addit- do you think that the starting position could be shifted there ignoring the startingPos in the ship? I am guessing that when that event actually triggers the player is already in the starting system, but the game is paused- perhaps a objGateTo would work to shift the start?
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I also see great potential in gamSetCrawlImage in storytelling. I haven't tested it to see if you can do it at any time but if you can you can avoid dockscreen storytelling. (I like the crawlImage better plus you can put up epic images)
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I wonder- but I bet George could put in a <OnStoryline> event which worked just like these.

Let's get that proposed and on the To Do list! I think it would be an extremely helpful mod tool. :)
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

sadly you can't use it during normal gameplay :P
I was hoping the text could be a cool sort of Domina talking to you while in flight.