intro screen

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Sheltem
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Hi people

I watched the introfight and got some ideas
first I saw a big wreckfield and two dragon slavers fighting. As one of them won, the focus switched on the next enemy
Oh I thought, nice idea George, I always like to see which enemy was blown up within seconds without even getting into sight ... :)

but the reason was:
some enemy ships where spawned more than once (I saw 10 centauri raiders or 10 earth shuttles). After the first raider was destructed by the dragon slaver, the focus switched on the second one ! (focus was on a dragon slaver initally !)

I thought we could need
- a button to switch between attacker focus and defender focus.
- fighting ship stats could be showed on the screen too ^^

Finally the dragon slaver is too strong for the intro screen, like the Iocrym. The ~10th dragonslaver I saw, self destructed by causing a wreckexplosion with its QAC.

edit: after writing this, I saw 2 (two) dragon slavers ruling the intro screen together ..... and the both suffered an attack by 50 kobol warlords :D
Last edited by Sheltem on Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
regards
Sheltem

What do you think about the endless stream of spawns ?

What about modding wandering spawns which dont attack the player directly ?
Fatboy
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

talking about the intro screen, I can't seem to find the option to do the regular game
or the extension, it always does the sample extension in Transcendence.xml :?:
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Fatboy wrote:talking about the intro screen, I can't seem to find the option to do the regular game
or the extension, it always does the sample extension in Transcendence.xml :?:
I have no clue what you're talking about :?
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I think I know what you are asking about, Fatboy.
You already asked about this.

There are no 'sample' adventure extensions packaged with the game.
There aren't even any 'sample' mod extensions packaged with the game!

Transcendence.xml only contains the regular game topology.
Adventure extensions allow you to create your own new star networks.

To use the adventure extensions, you must first make and add one to your extensions folder.

There is a bug that is causing a crash when using the adventure extensions in the game. You must use an unpacked version of transcendence to see the adventure extensions in action. George is working on the issue, so hopefully in the next release (099b) it will be working for the regular game.

Refer to this thread for an example of how to make an adventure extension:
http://neurohack.com/transcendence/foru ... php?t=1606

George posted a simple example to show us the format- I got the example to work for me in the unpacked (use => transdata /decompile) version of the game wiithout crashing. Adding nodes is easy if you understand how they work.
Fatboy
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Oh :oops: I thoght that it was, but the adventureDesc in Transcendence.xml is a example of how to use it, isn't it?
Periculi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

No, that is the new format that is required for all topologies. You can use it as the model to build new networks from. (so, yes, it is an example, but it's also the new main game topology!)

If you want to add nodes (systems) to the game (such as for post heretic systems) you would need to either copy the whole base topology and extend it in an adventure extension, or you could create a module and append the network with more nodes. (which means the mod would require an unpacked version of transcendence)

As I mentioned before, adventure extensions don't quite work yet in 099a, but George has it fixed for 099b which will be out soon- so don't let that stop you from building the adventure extensions for the extension folder and normal (.tdb) transcendence game.

In 098 the topology could not be removed from transcendence xml. Every node in the network (a node is a system) had to be contained in the <StarSystemTopology> element in transcendence.xml

In 099 the topology uses 2 elements:

The first is <AdventureDesc> which has some elements to define the game start screen, crawl text, and also game end screens and crawl text, and some other bits.

The second is <SystemTopology> where the nodes are placed. This is now able to be placed in other areas of the xml- for example, Huari.xml has a single node in the <SystemTopology> element that is added to the main network topology at a random location. Very cool!

The node structure is altered in 099 as well, with the incorporation of an attribute value for nodes among other things, and I noticed that the Prev usage has been changed to [Prev] so watch out for that when making new networks!

This allows adventure extensions to be made and placed in the extensions folder.

I will have more information about this for you pending further testing.

Sorry Sheltem, got a little off topic here (*kick* @ Fatboy)

You know, if we are adding things to the intro screen, why not allow us to fly a ship? Then we could use any ship to dogfight a bunch of others...
Fatboy
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Oh... cool!