Cyberattacks

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
SparcMan
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I tried to post this the other day at UTF, but it looks like it didn't stick. Anyways, here is my idea for how to expand the cyberattack aspect of the game. To solve the problems of being hit excessively with cyberattacks, when a ship hits your ship with a cyberattack, hit or miss, your ship will be immune to that attack from that particular ship from then on (IE, the same ship cannot keep hitting you with the same attack). Your cyberattacks are subject to the same limitations. For defense, there is a defense ROM Cube for each type of attack. I see two possible ways to implement the defense;
a ) Defense ROMs increase the chance that a cyberattack will fail.
b ) Installed ROMs will ALWAYS thwart a cyberattack, but will be used up in the process (you can have more than one of the same type of ROM installed and defense ROMs are fairly easy to get at least by mid to late game)
F50

neat, this would allow for more varied(powerfull) cyberattacks as well. However, "Immune to that attack from that ship from then on" sounds a little much. Perhaps either immune to that attack for <TIME> or chance that that attack from that ship will succeed decrease by <PERCENTAGE>.
ThorWarriorX
Miner
Miner

I think I have a better idea. What about a microchip, which you can only have one installed at a time, that erases or reflects the effect of the cyberattack?
Sentrettenian Empire
Revolver
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I think being able to put up firewalls would be a more interesting idea, having different levels that each one increases your %chance to block a cyber attack. Or what abot a crystal that gives your shield a electrical interference field which would make your ship immune to cyber attacks, although to be semi-realistic your radar would also have to suffer as well.
ThorWarriorX
Miner
Miner

That seems a bit overkill for me... Well, my idea may be as well, but I'm counting on the fact that we probably will have more added.
Sentrettenian Empire
evilbob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

how about an installable device that blocks cyber attacks
seems overkill?
the better part: is starts off with like a 1% chance of blocking the attack but when you are attacked the chance to block gets slightly higher. not reaching 100% though as that would be too powerful
SparcMan
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

George,

I had some ideas for other types of cyberattacks. Presently we have
-Scramble (disables target's controls)
-Shieldsdown (shuts down target's shields - except superconducting)
-Peaceful constraint (disables only targets ability to fire)

I'd like to propose:
-Antipatch (disables armor repair systems)
-Degenerate (prevents shield recharging)
-Cybermace (cyberattack equivalent of blinder cannon)
-Disturbance (disables radar, targetting and omni turret tracking)
Revolver
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I don't know if disabling armor repair is a big enough disadvantage to give it its own attack. Logically it would seem to fall under your "Disturbance" category
Frits
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Some good ideas sparcman but how could the nanomachines, which work independently, be barred from repairing by a cyberattack? The patcher arm description shows how it works. Same goes for the spider.
the_holy_thom
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Easy. It sends some sort of jamming wave to them. There must be a million explanations for it. Just invent one if need be.

As for disabling armour repair, what would be nice was if you got hit with it and it just turned off your patcher arm etc without telling you. That would be annoying if you rely on your armour recharging between fights.
Need a mod? Transcendence Mods
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

how about disabling a random device for a certain amount of time. This would be a higher level cyberattack.
Crying is not a proper retort!