Heat Suggestion

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
marr
Miner
Miner

Betelgeuse wrote:Do you have any other ideas on how to get rid of heat?
In gameplay terms, I'd assume that fuel rods include the necessary coolants, to be ejected via the drive exhaust, and when the reactor is running well below maximum output (Which is most of the time outside of combat) it has spare cooling capacity for the rest of the ship.
Burzmali wrote:Bah, space is very large and very cold.
Not really. Matter has temperature, empty space doesn't, it just insulates. Also, within a few AU of a sun it's pretty damn hot unless you hide behind a planet. Think of the hottest sunny day you remember. It's like that, only without the miles of protective atmospheric moisture.
Burzmali wrote:The only interactions that produce important amounts of heat in weapons are mechanical friction and electrical resistance. With enough technology you can reduce those to near nothing.
Sure, but this is one of those games where you start with nothing like enough technology - I've fought battles where I was entirely reliant on solar panels. Besides, whatever your tech level, it's always a choice between perfectly efficient and smooth running or experimental, volatile, noisy and hot, but does three times the damage.. :)
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Space may be empty, but it isn't quite a void. What matter there is in space is very cold but very low pressure. The low temp makes for a great heat sink, but the low pressure means you have to use a lot of volume to get results. Wiki probably has an article on it somewhere.
marr
Miner
Miner

Okay, so it's a diffuse plasma. In practical terms, it's the same thing - mere thousands of atoms per cubic meter will have no effect on the temperature of solid metal whether they're nearer 0 or 1,000,000K. (And since most of the loose atoms in a solar system are pouring out of the sun, they ain't going to be too close to zero.)