Purchasing ships

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Icabod458
Miner
Miner

Greetings

I know there has been some discussion about the possibility of a player being able to change/purchase a different ship during play.

How's this for an idea: the salvagers are not only salvaging the loot from wrecks but the wreck itself and they are "used ship dealers", a system's junk yard? At the Salvager "station" , you can buy a refurbished ship that they have looted and repaired. You can also purchase loot at a very inexpensive price. This station would only show up after St. K. But there are several wrecks for the player to loot also so that they can sell the loot and the location of the wreck. I know that most of the people who play this great game would want a new ship, factory fresh if you will. That is all well and good, but there will be those who can not afford a new ship but can afford the used one and have in their holds the means to refit this used ship to make it a better equipped ship than if they had bought the same ship new. The down side would be that you'd have to sell them your original ship, once you have offloaded all of your loot.

They, like the tinkers, will purchase damaged goods. Or maybe they will trade refurbed goods for damaged goods. Also, it might be that they will "buy" your damaged goods for either credits or rins. Perhaps, they can even repair damaged items. (Be able to repair a looted damaged ion blaster or omni Tev 9!)

I visualize their station as cobbled together, perhaps from different wrecked stations (sung fortress, charon stronghold, blackmarket, Umak mines, etc.) Junk dealers. A wide variety of different ships within a "Arena" fence. You would dock with the station, much like the arena and then choose whether you want to buy a ship or loot or sell loot (for credits or rins).

I am just typing as I think about this subject. There are a lot of possibilities as I see it for this type of idea. In the game, I have yet to see a salvager station, unless it is a tinker. If these two are "related", perhaps you get directions from the tinker to a salvager station. (Once you undock, use this. Tell them Tinker George sent you) and hands you a ROM which, similar to the Charon System ROM will show you exactly where this Salvage yard is. (You just came thru there could swear nothing was there!)

I would like to have feedback about this, pro or con. I do know that the idea about purchasing a different ship is a good one. I am just unsure about what type of station would be the best for doing so. I like the thoughts George took for the Teratons: Trading, Research, Fabrication. How about something similar for the salvagers. Yes, I realize they are "nomads" but even they should have a place to call home.

In my mind, I see the Salvagers as a Tinker ship which has had a major computer failure and only the "salvage" part of its computer remianed, nothing of who built it or where it came from, just a single minded purpose to find wrecks and gather loot. No where in their computers is what they are supposed to do with all of this collected material, just collect it. I also see that when they come into within a certain distance of a Tinker station, they "remember" what they were originally for, dock, offload, and leave. But once beyond that certain distance, they "forget" the Tinkers and go back to finding loot.

Thanks for any feedback in advance. If there is no feedback, well, I tried.
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

No reason that the salvagers need a station to pull this off, you could just dock with their ships like you do with the CSC.
Icabod458
Miner
Miner

True but would the coding for such an undertaking be more trouble than setting up a station? I am just trying to get a handle on the Salvagers and the idea of purcchasing ships.

So, Burzmali, where would you pick up the ship you purchased from a Salvager? Sure, they'd have all the loot they had gathered but a ship? Unless they are in some way related with a race that has a station where the ship will be delivered to, I see no way for a Salvager to have a full ship on board.

I am not trying to sound like a smart a$$ with what I said above. But if the salvagers were to be in the used ship business, they'd have to have someplace for the player to leave their ship and pick up the "new" one. Thus a station or an "arena" type area where your "new" ship is assembled and where your "old" ship is then placed into the inventory.

I have enough coding knowledge to be dangerous and just a bit more database knowledge. My xml skills are just beginning so I am unsure how to set something like this up. Especially if all of the ship types are used. But I have a feeling if this situations does come to fruition, there are going to be a select few ships for sale, new or used. There will be only a few options unless it is done in basically an "assembly" line way: Choose ship type; choose armor; choose reactor; choose shield generator; choose weapons 1-x. It would take quite a bit of coding to come up with every conceivable variation for a single ship, and a whole lot for two or more. But there could be only a few set configurations for sale and then you'd have to upgrade when and where possible.

This I feel is the main hangup for the possibility for the purchase of new ships: should the player trade in his in game modded ship for something vanilla and have to "rebuild" it to be similar to the one they have just gotten rid of? Should the player be able to begin vanilla only and then when they encounter the new ship/used ship station, be able to get a modded ship with bells and whistles? The use of the extensions folder would be ideal for the latter as it would have ships that have been modded as well as the original vanilla ships. And if the latter, how does one set up pricing?

I know that most of what I am saying might infer a multi-player game which this is not. I'm trying to pitch ideas that George might be able to include into future versions.

So, George, where do Salvagers go to empty their holds? What do they do with the credits? Or do they get rins? Is anything I have said making sense or is it confusing the issue even more?

I know that there are several people on these forums who want to be able to change ships within this game: to "purchase" a different ship in the game. Let's say George does allow this functionality. This will mean those who mod can set up their dealers with their mods or another player's mods. But what of those who do not know how to make mods? I have tried doing some things, on my own, for myself, just to see if the outcome would work. I have about a 20-25% success rate. I would rather use a mod from Yugimotomanager or the other modders on this forum than my own. But without the knowledge to place their mods within the xml, how could I purchase something from Fichikai Industries? Or evilbob? Or Holy_Thom? There are many questions that need to be asked before such an undertaking can be put into the game. I am sure that most of those who read these forums have already asked them but have probably gotten several different answers.

I am now off my soapbox. I just think some of the options I have mentioned need to be addressed.
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

To answer part of that, the Nomad's scavenger ship is big, really really big, so big in fact that it uses station armor instead of ship armor. Live ships can be docked with, just look at the xml for the CSC, they are ships not stations in the xml. Arguably, the scavengers could inhale wrecks as they go about to scrap or sell, when the player docks, they can trade in if they want, and their old ship would be held by the scavanger. Most of the coding to do this is already present, the missing link it the code for changing the player's ship at all.
Icabod458
Miner
Miner

@Burzmali
I am fairly new to XML and copy and paste whenever possible. So if I am using a ship from another modder and want to use certain items from that ship on another, I copy and paste. So when you said that the salvager was huge, I had to look for it in the XML. I think it has 36 segments of armor! I forget what the capacity is but I am now beginning to understand other answers in other responses a bit better. I am also beginning to have even more respect for those who mod this game.

So do you think the Salvagers would be a viable seller of used ships? Or should there be a new trading post for new, factory fresh ships also? Or only the latter?

If the salvagers become the used ship dealers, will there be any wrecks for those who are also looters of wrecks to loot, except when they are attacked by the player? Or will there be a way to limit the number and type of ships the salvager can have in it's hold? Can this feature be modded or will it have to be coded by George and put into the XML?

Thanks for your answers and for hinting at the wisdom behind them.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

changing ships will probably have to be coded by George. However, if he makes the feacture availiable to modders, then you will be able to mod it into salvagers. I suggest only a limited number of wreaks and the player would not be able to pick up wreaks, it would only really be phisically possible to put really small ships in any current playersip (corsairs, wind slavers for the freigter, a hornet for everybody else). but that is really up to George.
Burzmali
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Once there exists a way to redefine what the game thinks of as the player's ship, we will see. There are too many ways George could implement it that I can't really predict how it will work.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you want about modding. Collected, we know almost as much about the game as the developer does :wink:
inquisiteur
Anarchist
Anarchist

I just found this game yesterday and have been playing at like...26 consecutives hours.

Following your former threads, we still need to know if if Mr George of a modder is planning to allow players to purchase ships. Personnaly I love flying low class ships like the corsair.

I think that this part is a big weakness for this extraordinary game. I am suprised to see that only a few people their are interested in having shipyards in the game...
Yugi
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

There are a quite a lot more people who support the "Purchasing ships" idea, but it was discussed even before I started playing Transcendence, and that was last christmas.
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I believe George has said he will implement this (the reason why nobody is posting about it) but it will be a long time (year or two) before that happens. This request is actually pretty old and well disscussed.
goat not sheep
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I think you can perchase ships... but only CERTAIN ships.
>.<
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

you cannot purchase ships. And you can't buy companions either. Autons are not worthy of the name "ship".
goat not sheep
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I mean, in later versions. Autons aren't worthy? Think again. 10 1m autns against you in any system behind the maximus one(rigel, aurele?)
>.<