Capships and garrisons

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
SparcMan
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

It would be interesting to add a random chance (maybe like 10% per occurance) that a generated capship has some experimental upgrade such as ion reflection shields or an archcannon added. Wouldn't it be a nasty surprise to come across a Dreadnaught with an Omni ares archcannon added to it? :shock:
Betelgeuse
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

see the mod wants thread for something that could do exactly that 8) (well a want to be able to do that on all ships)
Crying is not a proper retort!
Revolver
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

OddBob wrote:
I doubt that you'd see an entire battle fleet of Dreadnaughts with a layer of improvised armor. It would be heavy, time consuming and expensive.
A layer? Yes. Impractical. But the folks that build stuff like this often don't have to fight in them (or don't test for every eventuality), leaving funny little things that don't always work great in actual combat. But on patrol, you have lots of time, if not always resources to jury-rig your stuff.
When you've got nothing to do at the moment, why not improve the systems you're responsible for, in the interest of saving your own hide when push comes to shove.

I'd like to see variations in all ships, but capships would benefit a lot, even if it was randomized from four or so designs.

Point noted, I also like your idea of randomization of several designs.
ThorWarriorX
Miner
Miner

I'd like to see everyone's idea of a perfect capital ship. Also, there is a difference from frigate to battlecruiser. And yes, they should have variations, but not random in my opinion. If the sovereigns that hold the capital ships have upkeep enough to keep them, why shouldn't they be able to improve the whole fleet?

And by the way, someone said a starship there had a lot of weapons, but I noticed a "spelling" error. Batteries are groups of itemas of some kind, but what ship would have 60 batteries?
Sentrettenian Empire
Revolver
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

ThorWarriorX wrote:I'd like to see everyone's idea of a perfect capital ship. Also, there is a difference from frigate to battlecruiser. And yes, they should have variations, but not random in my opinion. If the sovereigns that hold the capital ships have upkeep enough to keep them, why shouldn't they be able to improve the whole fleet?

And by the way, someone said a starship there had a lot of weapons, but I noticed a "spelling" error. Batteries are groups of itemas of some kind, but what ship would have 60 batteries?
In the Star Wars reference I made on the previous page it listed information from the official site:
The Imperial-class Star Destroyer bristles with 60 turbolaser batteries, 60 ion cannon batteries.
If you watch the movies, they are in fact accurate, each turbolaser battery in the starwars universe consists of 2 cannons, which means that there are 120 total turbolaser cannons on each ship.
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Random cross-pollination of threads:

What if cap ships installed armor and weapons that they found, but only if it was higher level than what they had, or if the weapon is ammo based and they have no ammo?

Maybe have little salvager drones/scouts finding the loot?

I don't know...maybe that would be best suited to an entirely new race...
X-ray laser! Pew, pew pew!
> = = = = ۞
SparcMan
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I really like that idea as a new race. The capships send out a small fleet of unarmed scavenger drones that loot wrecks for weapons and defenses and then bring them back to the capship to arm whatever is useful
Revolver
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

This really deserves its own thread, sort of an advanced salvager race.
Atheist_Chuck
Anarchist
Anarchist

I can see it now:

SALVAGERS: EVOLUTION
Wolfen+Iocrym=Iocrym wreck =D
Frits
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Yaaaah and they crossbreed with ferians and produce tiny level VIII ore-salvagers which travel in flocks to the Ringers where each group of 10 makes a level IX capship and then they come find you!
Atheist_Chuck
Anarchist
Anarchist

AAAAnd you go screaming out of the vaccum like a demon, opening fire with your advanced tritium cannon.

*five seconds later*

And, you take your loot, and run off to the nearest station.
Wolfen+Iocrym=Iocrym wreck =D
F50
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

to get back on topic...

here is another idea.

Capships seem to be built for different purposes.

Ranx Dreadnought: Ship to destroy buldings and capships.
Hurin Destroyer: Short ranged ship made to get rid of a mass of small ships.
Ares Cometfall: ship to destroy buildings.
Earth Slaver: Short ranged ship made to get rid of a (small) mass of small ships.

There was also a proposed ship that was fast with strong guns but with weak/front oriented defenses(the early non-capship Himal Interceptor comes to mind).

The Ventari Cruser is good at both long (really long) and short range and is probably the most balanced capship in the game (it becomes outdated only by the Fusionfire Howitzer and other basebusting weapons of higher level). It also gives the idea of a 100-range ship meant to batter away normal ships at range.

This would balance capships because they would be better able to do their job and also work together with other ships. Hurin should not try to engage a player attacking from range (letting other ships do that) and Ranx Dreadnought should try to keep some range and should be accompanied by a large squad of ships. Long range and short range ships should accompany each other (not limiting to capships here).
palmiche
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

SparcMan wrote:I really like that idea as a new race. The capships send out a small fleet of unarmed scavenger drones that loot wrecks for weapons and defenses and then bring them back to the capship to arm whatever is useful
Like if the Scavengers had begun a militarization process with all the things they gathered for years!!!