Mining rework thread

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
stealthx
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Ah this is not really a reply to the topics of this thread, but just a quick thought.
I don't see flying meteorites in the game. Is there ores in real meteors? It would be fun if we can chase around these fast orbitting meteors and mine them for high level ores.
Be the hope of humanity. Be a Gundam Meister.
Repulsion
Anarchist
Anarchist

stealthx wrote:Ah this is not really a reply to the topics of this thread, but just a quick thought.
I don't see flying meteorites in the game. Is there ores in real meteors? It would be fun if we can chase around these fast orbitting meteors and mine them for high level ores.
That would be a great idea. Maybe once in a while, you would be going around in a system, and an alert would pop up on your screen saying something like: "Meteor storm incoming" or "High amounts of ore in incoming meteor shower", and if your quick enough you can find the meteor shower and fly after them, shooting your mining laser in hope to get some valuable ore.
Darn Pods >:(
Ttech
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

How about having rouge miners attack you if you mine and make it more challenging.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

CFG
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Just started another game and got a PK15 morning star in the early game.

I would say:

Mining should be like firing the PK15 in an asteroid field ;)
SiaFu
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

You mean something like this? The Crocodile Dundee approach to mining:

The SFw42 Maelstrom EM pulse emitter shakes the ore from the asteroids using the power of several mining masers. Ore clumps will be jumping from the asteroids wholesale.
Caution: Not for use in populated areas of space.

In game terms: Circular passthrough, good fire rate and large area of effect;
DMG:laser 1, beacause if I put 0, the mining attribute has no effect.
And it's power hungry and high level (after Charon) so you don't use it for fighting. Also, it's notrandom, quest and external - so you really don't use it for fighting (unless you have Longzhu's and massive shields).

I've been testing for a while, even before 1.03 and these nice new ore scanners were released (as the Total VUI scanner didn't work for me in 1.02).
It's still too powerful against Pteravores so I'm working on nerfing its tactical capabilities.
Mods here & there.Banners thanks to: digdug .
CFG
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Something a bit less excessive :D

Some mining weapon with a bit wider spreading fire would help.
I usually mine in the freighter and because of its rather limited maneuverability I find it pretty uncomfortable having to re-align every 5-8 mining laser shots...

Also something that does not could as "god modded".

How do you like the idea of an "omni mining" laser/plasma cannon in combination with an ore scanner - both using 0 device slots - that only fires at asteroid? (Basically the (ultra) auto miner already up on xelerus, but split into two devices and upgradable maybe two times.)
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

CFG wrote:Something a bit less excessive :D

Some mining weapon with a bit wider spreading fire would help.
I usually mine in the freighter and because of its rather limited maneuverability I find it pretty uncomfortable having to re-align every 5-8 mining laser shots...

Also something that does not could as "god modded".

How do you like the idea of an "omni mining" laser/plasma cannon in combination with an ore scanner - both using 0 device slots - that only fires at asteroid? (Basically the (ultra) auto miner already up on xelerus, but split into two devices and upgradable maybe two times.)

Why not a mining charge? Deploys like a mine, and goes off with some form of area effect with mining. That would help make it harder to use in combat (especially with low damage, and a failsafe that arms the charge JUST before it times out and detonates..or even as a usable device that uses sysCreateWeaponfire)?

I can make one of those to try out, once I've finished the latest test version of my Mines and Missiles (which can conveniently be modified to create a mining device)
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

To save slots what about a consumable? If it were cheap enough and effected a large enough area it'd be profitable even if you had to keep buying them.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hmm. or smaller area of effect, and have HUNDREDS of them available...at mining stations, and at outlaw mines (once you kill them, obviously)
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

That sounds really neat. Possibly the best idea regarding mining i remember
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

So we have a concept for a cheap and common consumable mining charge. When you use it, it waits for X seconds and then goes boom....and the explosion mines asteroids near it. And your ship, if you don't get out of the way. Or possibly using either a hard-coded system, or scripted fragmentation to mean you can remote-detonate all your charges at once.
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

i think it would be nice if it was a series of missiles that fit in the standard launchers. Not sure if a missile is able to mine though.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

alterecco wrote:i think it would be nice if it was a series of missiles that fit in the standard launchers. Not sure if a missile is able to mine though.
It *should* be able to. If there's mining specified in the damage code. However....I've never seen ore come away after firing a missile with mining (and I've made several for testing purposes)
alterecco
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Hmm, that might be a bug. Perhaps some sort of OnFire missile that handled the mining with sysCreateWeaponFire?

I'm a bit rusty in my weapons creation (read: total n00b)