Paint jobs

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

It would be nice if the player has a way to recolor ships (without adding a mod of recolored duplicates). For example, recolor a green Molotok to gray or black with yellow or red eyes. Failing that, have every playable ship with a set or three or four colors to choose from.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Star Weaver
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: . . . between the stars and the warm black sky . . .

Hmm, this could be pretty awesome. After playing City of Heroes you want everything to have customizable colors out the wazoo.

I've even thought about how to do this in my own hypothetical games. I'd go with channelmasks; have an RGB image where each color channel is a mask for a different paint application area, giving you up to three different user colors to apply to a ship.

(I could also almost positivly alter my barely-released blender ship template to allow for some kind of easy material-based creation of such a mask.)

Though if George is going to add code to seperate color channels from images I'd he'd almost have to freaking implement PNG+alpha support and make all our lives easier :D.
TranscendentGeek
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Couldn't you use overlay's to do something like this by creating recolored versions of ships?
Star Weaver
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: . . . between the stars and the warm black sky . . .

Yeah, though i'm not sure if it would be too memory intensive to have all the extra partial images or not compared to an engine solution.

Now if george let us apply overlays that were just a bitmask, and recolor the parts of the image it touches (like, say, 'screen' mixing mode in your image editors), that would be pretty awesome.

.... hmm, I could probably make a python script that took a single overlay mask, a list of color values, the xml, and the original ship graphic, and created an overlay for each color that consisted of the ship parts that needed to be changed, and wrote the xml for it .... basicaly pre-automate what george would be doing. Then it would be simple to slap a color modifying overlay at random on each ship in the game .... yeah .... damn.