Drivers and Reactors Should be Slotless.

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
TVR
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Atarlost wrote:... There's already a shortage of space on the ship select screen and I'm not at the smallest supported display size. Remember, mod ships can have more preinstalled than just a weapon, launcher, and shield. ...
mockup.png
mockup.png (100.29 KiB) Viewed 4731 times
Atarlost wrote:... But seriously, who's going to be annoyed at installing a device and finding that it didn't use a slot? No one. ...
Taken to its logical conclusion, this pretense would suggest making everything slotless.
Atarlost wrote:... Who's going to be annoyed by replacing a device and finding out that the device being replaced wasn't real and therefore didn't free up a slot to put the new one in? At least PM. ...
If PM or others would have reconsidered choice of ship by a single given statistic on the ship select screen, then this would suffice.
Fiction is reality, simplified for mass consumption.
PGP: 0x940707ED, 5DB8 4CB4 1EF5 E987 18A0 CD99 3554 3C13 9407 07ED
Bitcoin: 1LLDr7pnZDjXVT5mMDrkqRKkAPByPCQiXQ
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I would have, and did, even without the slots being stated: I reasoned (wrongly) that I could have plural reactors.
(func(Admin Response)= true){
if(admin func(amiable) = true)
Create func(Helpful Posts)
else func(Keep Calm and Post derisive topics)}
KA101
Miner
Miner

This topic is the primary reason I delurked.

I'll spare you the anger and just ask real nice-like if perhaps you'd let me keep my 8 slots on the Agauptera? (And the rest of the ships, too?) There's already not enough room for what I plan on installing, and I'd really like to just enjoy the game, rather than spending the entire time worrying about what I can't equip.
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

KA101 wrote:This topic is the primary reason I delurked.

I'll spare you the anger and just ask real nice-like if perhaps you'd let me keep my 8 slots on the Agauptera? (And the rest of the ships, too?) There's already not enough room for what I plan on installing, and I'd really like to just enjoy the game, rather than spending the entire time worrying about what I can't equip.
you know that you can open the .xml file in the agauptera and change the number of slots yourself right?
pip
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Just another thought here....

Given that the vast majority of people will be installing a reactor at some point, you could say that a reactor is "required" equipment.
(The only way this is false is if you're doing a default reactor run.)
All ships have a set limit to the number of devices they can have installed, and if one of those devices is (in all but the rarest self-imposed circumstance) guaranteed to be present then it would make sense to remove this device from contention for these slots to reduce confusion.
This leaves us with more slots available for everything else leading to unbalance, which is then corrected by reducing the overall number of slots.

This was just a really long-winded way of saying "I agree".
Mostly.

Reactors yes - because of the above.
Drives no - because you don't always have one as a matter of course.
KA101
Miner
Miner

FourFire wrote:

you know that you can open the .xml file in the agauptera and change the number of slots yourself right?
Missed something there. Let me help you out:
(And the rest of the ships, too?)

Sapphire ain't editable in XMLs, last I knew, and I don't particularly think restricted slots are much fun. I'm hard up enough making a ship that I'd be comfortable flying w/o reliable support infrastructure. (Like, uh, everywhere past Heretic, where humans aren't supposed to be?) Less making Part 1 more difficult and more actually building Parts 2-3, if you would, please.
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

KA101 wrote:
FourFire wrote:

Missed something there. Let me help you out:
(And the rest of the ships, too?)

Sapphire ain't editable in XMLs, last I knew, and I don't particularly think restricted slots are much fun. I'm hard up enough making a ship that I'd be comfortable flying w/o reliable support infrastructure. (Like, uh, everywhere past Heretic, where humans aren't supposed to be?) Less making Part 1 more difficult and more actually building Parts 2-3, if you would, please.
I made this mod for you; paste the text into an .xml file and put it in your extensions folder, enjoy ;)

http://pastebin.com/f9JENTDm

Oh I didn't upload it to xelerus, This is a strictly unofficial, silly mod and I made it explicitly for you.
I don't see why a playership mod would require updating unless the playership stats themselves were updated, but that's what you want isn't it?
Last edited by FourFire on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
KA101
Miner
Miner

(It feels like I'm being blown off: writing me a mod doesn't resolve the threat of slot-robbery--you gonna update it?--and doesn't explain why having the slot is such a problem.)
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

ok, here's my dollar:

- at beginning of the game, the player has an extra slot, because the default reactor fitted in the playership is slotless.

- it seems that many people would like to use this extra slot and feel like that they are going to loose a slot if all reactors are going slotless (and consequently playerships will have -1 slot)

- very few people tried a reactorless play, and that works, so you can take advantage of the extra slot.

Here is my idea:

- default reactors should use 1 slot.
- the game should offer 0-slot, 1-slot and 2-slot reactors, players can choose from multiple reactors with different capacity/efficiency at the same power level.

this will enable :
- players can choose a reactor playing style, from big 2 slots reactors with lots of fuel or 0-slot reactors with low output or efficiency (but you can free up the slot)
- people won't feel robbed of 1 slot as the playership will swap the default reactor too.
- playerships will retain the current amount of slots.

What do you guys think ?
KA101
Miner
Miner

Seems like another way to approach the same proposal: everyone loses a slot to the default reactor and must take a suboptimal reactor to get the slot back. (How many slots for the Amaterasu or Helios reactors*?) I think I'll pass.

Now, if every ship in the game had fuel requirements, and therefore fuel/reactors weren't a playership penalty, I'd consider it.

*The solar-only 500MW/1GW reactors from back in the day. Take 2 min to recharge when sitting on the sun, and the only responsible power supply to take past Heretic IMO. Who knows where you'll find a human-compatible fuel station on the wrong side of the Iocrym QZ?