late-game ideas

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Fossaman
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

See, I would think that because of the factional nature of society in transcendence that colonization would be MORE piecemeal. Lots of different groups that want to get away from everyone else and test out THEIR idea for a utopia, or just don't like the current company, etc. Remember, you have to consider the enemy stations etc. as colonies too, just not filled with friendly/indifferent people.

EDIT: Whoops. Dvlenk6 posted just as I did. Great minds think alike, I guess.
X-ray laser! Pew, pew pew!
> = = = = ۞
palmiche
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Human beings have changed a lot since the migrations you mention dvlenk6, and motivations have changed too and will change even more. Everything, even religious wars, is based on economy and wealth, and ALL wealth comes from natural resources directly or indirectly. When you dig and find oil in the ground, you dig close to try to find more, you don't go 200 miles away to dig again.

A simple situation: You live in, lets say, Mexico. Would you consider moving to a place where nobody lives somewhere far from Mexico with your 100 best friends? Under which conditions? How many of your friends would accept to go with you?

Eventually some group will separate and start a new life somewhere but majority will try to stick together because we have evolved to a consumption society and we need from the other to survive at long term, and also because we are mainly social beings and we need to propagate our ideas and ideals between our similars. Such is the curse cast with the telephone era.
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

palmiche wrote:Human beings have changed a lot since the migrations you mention dvlenk6, and motivations have changed too and will change even more...
Human motivations have changed very little since antiquity, man himself hasn't changed one iota.
---
palmiche wrote:Everything, even religious wars, is based on economy and wealth...
Broad generalizations don't make very sound arguments. Not everything is based on economy and wealth.
---
palmiche wrote:
Fossaman wrote:they would sometimes send colonists to multiple places at once, etc. The oregon trail skipped over huge tracks of land to colonize the opposite coast of america.
Because they were looking for resources and WEALTH not for living space.
palmiche wrote:...ALL wealth comes from natural resources directly or indirectly. When you dig and find oil in the ground, you dig close to try to find more, you don't go 200 miles away to dig again...
Which is it? you are arguing against yourself in those two conclusions.
---
palmiche wrote:A simple situation: You live in, lets say, Mexico. Would you consider moving to a place where nobody lives somewhere far from Mexico with your 100 best friends? Under which conditions? How many of your friends would accept to go with you?
Well, suppose you and your 100 friends were slated for execution based on idealogical differences with the Mexican government. I'm guessing most of them would come with you.
"War is hell."
-William Tecumseh Sherman
http://dvlenk6.blackraven3d.com/transgals.html
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Really good discussion.

Palmiche's original point was that it would be cool if systems were bigger. I got no problem with that (although I would restrict that to a subset of system). For example, it might be cool if St. Katharine's star system were more populated and had more interesting things in it.

Nevertheless, from a historical perspective, I tend to agree with dvlenk6 and fossaman. Humans colonized every part of the world almost as soon as we could. We did not wait until Africa got crowded before we moved on to Europe and Asia and America.

Today, there is no where on earth that is not owned by somebody (or some sovereign). No matter where you go, you have to buy land from someone who is looking to make a profit.

But in the Transcendence universe, you can just keep going out into space until you find a nice uninhabited asteroid (or orbit). My guess is that that would cause people to spread out a lot more. Sort of like it was 10,000 years ago.
Last edited by george moromisato on Thu May 18, 2006 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
palmiche
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Ha!!! That was the final bullet in my head!! I surrender to the evidence of mankind's behavior!!! :D :D :D

Thanks for arguing (mispelled??) with me, it's been a real pleasure to say some really dumb things and receive such fine answers!!! :D :D :D

The next time I'll try to make a better point :D :D :D