Visually distinct weapons fire

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Transcendi
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Not sure if this should be a bug or a suggestion.
Having clearly different visuals for different damage types (and to a lesser extent damage quantities, something improved substantially in the new version) is very important: Giving associations of particular levels of danger with certain visuals (heightening excitement) and making new weapons feel actually different rather than just bigger numbers on a potentially endless treadmill (a mistake many a game has made).
With the changes made to weapons fire graphics in the latest version turbolasers, particle beams and ion lancers are no longer easily distinguishable (even if they may look a bit prettier).

Previously, a lot of the damage types had a very different feel, you couldn't confuse the sparkling dark green of a particle beam or the solid monocolor line of a laser or the lightning of an ion weapon with anything else, though obviously there was still room for improvement ("heavy" versions of weapons like the slam cannon looking exactly the same as the non heavy versions was an issue).

Transcendence does an excellent job on making ships at different stages of the game have a different feel (even if the Ares are a butt ugly color :P) and used to do a good job with beam weapons (though less so with matter weapons above kinetic), I feel this is one of the more important aspects of good game design and should be preserved in future versions.

Not quite related to the above but just personal preference:
Lasers as bolts just doesn't work for me, a laser beam should be one solid line of a single color.
I also really liked the old particle beams :(
The Dragonfly Missile System supposedly launches micromissiles, but the actual graphics look like big howitzer bolts.
Last edited by Transcendi on Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Was known as Chance on the UTF
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Agreed, generally speaking. The new look works for just about every weapon (even if my trusty old dual flenser did take some getting used to) except for the ones that used to be beams, ionic, or otherwise somehow unique — the sunflare cannon, for instance.
 While I can kind of see an argument for the particle beams being somewhat irregular bursts, maybe, I’ve never thought the new elongated teardrop design for laser weapons made any sense, and even less so since the mining laser wasn’t updated. The aforementioned sunflare just looks like another, albeit bigger, particle weapon instead of anything at all noteworthy, and the ion weapons no longer really pack that oh-kack-that’s-not-just-a-particle-beam kick to them that they used to.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I like the new laser except for its shape. Laser would like fine if shape was oval instead of tapered.

I like the old weaker particle beam effect more. It may look out-of-place compared to new effects, though. New beams are an improvement over the likes of the old TeV 9 though.

I like the new ion effects more than the old standard effects. Old ion bolts were big tear drops, and they do not look nice if strung together as a beam.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I would suggest having short bullet graphics for weapons that fires slowly, and longer 'beam' for those that fire continuously. I like the old lightning bolt ion graphic, but I agree that they aren't all that suited to becoming a beam. As for the new ion, I think adding electric arcs around the tapered bolt would do the trick.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.