invoke menu keys

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 2391
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:02 am

Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:13 pm

Would it be possible to get the domina powers off the number row? Keyboards and typing courses are designed primarily for speed in typing letters and punctuation, not numbers. I'm personally suffering a three or four-fold increase in the decision-action loop and the invoke menu is the "don't die" commands.
Literally is the new Figuratively

User avatar
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 2876
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:21 am
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:07 pm

Sustain (I->1) is the only one you need to know in a bind anyways.
I think it might be possible to make a mod that rewrites their invoke keys but otherwise we'd have to wait for George to do something about it.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Image
Image
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.

User avatar
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 2391
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:02 am

Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:31 pm

It's not about knowing them. It's that I, and most other touch typists, am trained far more heavily in hitting letters than numbers.

IA is easier to hit than I1. I1 is an awkward stretch.
I2 is another really important one. IB is, again, far easier, though I2 is slightly less awkward than I1.
I4 is even more important than I1. It lets you actually fight back. For ships that can't run or against enemies best engaged at short range all sustain does is get you killed later. I4 is much harder than ID.

Any letter is better than any number simply because the keyboard is organized for typing words not mixed letters and numerals and typing courses emphasize typing words.

Since the shift to numbers was done with a hard coded hack remapping letters to numbers rather than changing the keys in the xml a mod cannot fix things.
Literally is the new Figuratively

PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 2316
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:54 am

Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:04 pm

While numbers can be a bit painful, the accidental double-press (i.e., unwanted Shatter) has ruined at least two of my previous otherwise "honored permadeath" games, not to mention several close calls and near-misses. Even if I do not hit anything with Shatter, I still need to run away until Desperate Escape and Shatter recharge. (Playing without Desperate Escape when my rank is high enough to access it is grade A stupidity.)

I prefer numbers over letters precisely because of the risk of accidental use of Shatter.
Download and Play in 1.8 Beta...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Download and Play in 1.7...
Star Castle Arcade: Relive classic arcade gaming in a new Transcendence adventure!
Playership Drones v7 (Beta): (OUTDATED!) Acquire and command almost any ship in Stars of the Pilgrim or Eternity Port.
Work in progress... Playership Drones v8: Work just started! Details to come later...

User avatar
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 2391
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:02 am

Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:44 pm

The only thing that needed to be moved was shatter. I've had far more deaths to taking too long to hit one of the defensive powers than to accidental shatter.

(Specifically swap Desperate Escape with Shatter since they're both available at the same XP level and DE doesn't actually invoke. This would put Shatter on 'h')
Literally is the new Figuratively

george moromisato
Developer
Developer
Posts: 2930
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:53 pm
Contact:

Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:58 pm

Atarlost wrote:The only thing that needed to be moved was shatter. I've had far more deaths to taking too long to hit one of the defensive powers than to accidental shatter.

(Specifically swap Desperate Escape with Shatter since they're both available at the same XP level and DE doesn't actually invoke. This would put Shatter on 'h')
Try the following option in Settings.xml

<Option name="invokeLetterHotkeys" value="true"/>

Let me know if that works or if it needs tweaks.

User avatar
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 2391
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:02 am

Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:44 am

george moromisato wrote:
Atarlost wrote:The only thing that needed to be moved was shatter. I've had far more deaths to taking too long to hit one of the defensive powers than to accidental shatter.

(Specifically swap Desperate Escape with Shatter since they're both available at the same XP level and DE doesn't actually invoke. This would put Shatter on 'h')
Try the following option in Settings.xml

<Option name="invokeLetterHotkeys" value="true"/>

Let me know if that works or if it needs tweaks.
This does not work. The 'i' key never gets through, making shatter inaccessible.
Literally is the new Figuratively

george moromisato
Developer
Developer
Posts: 2930
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:53 pm
Contact:

Thu May 01, 2014 7:13 pm

Atarlost wrote:
george moromisato wrote:
Atarlost wrote:The only thing that needed to be moved was shatter. I've had far more deaths to taking too long to hit one of the defensive powers than to accidental shatter.

(Specifically swap Desperate Escape with Shatter since they're both available at the same XP level and DE doesn't actually invoke. This would put Shatter on 'h')
Try the following option in Settings.xml

<Option name="invokeLetterHotkeys" value="true"/>

Let me know if that works or if it needs tweaks.
This does not work. The 'i' key never gets through, making shatter inaccessible.
Thanks, I'll check it out and do a fix.

Post Reply