invoke menu keys

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Would it be possible to get the domina powers off the number row? Keyboards and typing courses are designed primarily for speed in typing letters and punctuation, not numbers. I'm personally suffering a three or four-fold increase in the decision-action loop and the invoke menu is the "don't die" commands.
Literally is the new Figuratively
RPC
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Hmm... I'm confused. Anybody have a starmap to the Core?

Sustain (I->1) is the only one you need to know in a bind anyways.
I think it might be possible to make a mod that rewrites their invoke keys but otherwise we'd have to wait for George to do something about it.
Tutorial List on the Wiki and Installing Mods
Get on Discord for mod help and general chat
Der Tod ist der zeitlose Frieden und das leben ist der Krieg
Wir müssen wissen — wir werden wissen!
I don't want any sort of copyright on my Transcendence mods. Feel free to take/modify whatever you want.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

It's not about knowing them. It's that I, and most other touch typists, am trained far more heavily in hitting letters than numbers.

IA is easier to hit than I1. I1 is an awkward stretch.
I2 is another really important one. IB is, again, far easier, though I2 is slightly less awkward than I1.
I4 is even more important than I1. It lets you actually fight back. For ships that can't run or against enemies best engaged at short range all sustain does is get you killed later. I4 is much harder than ID.

Any letter is better than any number simply because the keyboard is organized for typing words not mixed letters and numerals and typing courses emphasize typing words.

Since the shift to numbers was done with a hard coded hack remapping letters to numbers rather than changing the keys in the xml a mod cannot fix things.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

While numbers can be a bit painful, the accidental double-press (i.e., unwanted Shatter) has ruined at least two of my previous otherwise "honored permadeath" games, not to mention several close calls and near-misses. Even if I do not hit anything with Shatter, I still need to run away until Desperate Escape and Shatter recharge. (Playing without Desperate Escape when my rank is high enough to access it is grade A stupidity.)

I prefer numbers over letters precisely because of the risk of accidental use of Shatter.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The only thing that needed to be moved was shatter. I've had far more deaths to taking too long to hit one of the defensive powers than to accidental shatter.

(Specifically swap Desperate Escape with Shatter since they're both available at the same XP level and DE doesn't actually invoke. This would put Shatter on 'h')
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Atarlost wrote:The only thing that needed to be moved was shatter. I've had far more deaths to taking too long to hit one of the defensive powers than to accidental shatter.

(Specifically swap Desperate Escape with Shatter since they're both available at the same XP level and DE doesn't actually invoke. This would put Shatter on 'h')
Try the following option in Settings.xml

<Option name="invokeLetterHotkeys" value="true"/>

Let me know if that works or if it needs tweaks.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

george moromisato wrote:
Atarlost wrote:The only thing that needed to be moved was shatter. I've had far more deaths to taking too long to hit one of the defensive powers than to accidental shatter.

This does not work. The 'i' key never gets through, making shatter inaccessible.
george moromisato
Developer
Developer

Atarlost wrote:
george moromisato wrote:

This does not work. The 'i' key never gets through, making shatter inaccessible.
Thanks, I'll check it out and do a fix.