tombstones in-game ?

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

We were discussing on IRC that tombstones are cool.
But not everyone is on IRC.

What about having them streaming to your intro screen in-game ?
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I like the idea. It would make it feel more like you’re not the only pilgrim out there heading coreward — and serve as a reminder (in character, at least) that the odds are not in your favor.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

If this is Nethack's bones, I do not want them - it is artificial difficulty adjustment. In Nethack, either it made things easy (free ascension kit) or very hard (too many out-of-depth monsters and/or stair trap).
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

No, no extra fighting, just a little message when a fellow pilgrim goes boom.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

This would have made sense when the viewport was small and everyone had black on the edges. It would have made sense as an option when the viewport was larger but limited and some people had black on the edges. There's no good place to put them now.
Literally is the new Figuratively
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Why should I care if random adventurer in another game just died, especially while I am fighting for mine? I certainly do not want spam pushing more important messages off of my screen.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

well, of course, the idea was to have the messages of tombstones appear in the intro screen or in the Records. (probably records is the best since it already fetches the hiscores)
Definitely not during gameplay, that would be just annoying.
Beef
Anarchist
Anarchist

I like the idea. How hard would it be to do physical tombstones in-game? Like if I'm cruising through a system and I pass where another person died I could "dock" with the tombstone and read the stats of the player and how he/she died. I think that would be cool but probably impractical as, I guess, there could be thousands of tombstones per system. Maybe it could be limited to the most recent or a set number per system. Either way I like the general idea of tombstones on the main menu screen.
Durendal
Anarchist
Anarchist

Here're My two bits:
Tombstones(ShipWrecks, marked by a player name and score) could take the form of a daily Online High-Score Board, Where Only Ten Per System Exist, and they replace ones of a lower score. The System would have to check the internet to update this whenever a star system was entered, requiring internet connection, though.

And Checks for things like backtracking or mods would have to be in place, and Some way of insuring that they will show up in a spot where you can see'em.
~Durendal