Suggestion : different pictures

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Czert
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

for different types fuels/armors/weapons/shield... etc.
palmiche
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I disagree because that would make the game grow in size and resource use. Besides, I don't see why you need that. Please be more specific about it, I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just could be.
Revolver
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I don't think there would be that much of a size change, but I don't think it's necessary, each type of item (reactor, fuel, armor, missle, etc) has it's own image and I don't think that adding numerous images would enhance the game any.
palmiche
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Revolver wrote:I don't think that adding numerous images would enhance the game any.
That's what I ment to say. Sorry if sound rough, I speak spanish. :oops:
OddBob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Different pictures are being implemented. In .8, there were four. Item, shield, weapon and armor. Now there are many. Each version usually has two or three new picture graphics. Frankly, I don't see it as a priority. Who cares? I'd rather have a workable game before content starts being added that does nothing for gameplay. The current pictures sever their purpose. Determining which items are which type at a glance.
SparcMan
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

There should be some different pictures, but not too many - some items should be unknown until you try them or identify them.
Revolver
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

maybe if the devices came in special "crates," similar to the barrels where the device could be anything until you try to install it. This would only be for weapons that were being carried as cargo, not weapon stripped from a wrecks gun mounts (weapons or shields or whatever). Then maybe you could get a cargo scanner ROM that identifies any crate that is loaded into your ships hold.
OddBob
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

There should be some different pictures, but not too many - some items should be unknown until you try them or identify them.
What do pictures have to do with identification? It's perfectly possible to have a different picture for an unidentified item.
palmiche
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I'd be glad if the unidentified objects showed a small question mark in one corner. The type of object by the tipe of picture and the QM says if you know i.e. what kind os shield gave you the MO in the medical supply mission. Just a little mark to make the difference and most important, this rules out the need of creating two sets of images (w and w/out QM) because AFAIK is relatively easy using an small QM image and drawing it over another image when needed.
Czert
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

I think different pictures for energy based weapons vs. kinetic energy, shieds vs. deflectors. etc.

Not own picture for every item/weapon..
dvlenk6
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

It makes no difference to me if the graphic for a laser cannon is the same as the one for any other weapon. The same goes for pretty much any item in my ship.

George's graphics are great, but Transcendence would be fun to play if all the graphics were monotone wireframes. It's the gameplay that make it such a good game.
SparcMan
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

OddBob wrote:
What do pictures have to do with identification? It's perfectly possible to have a different picture for an unidentified item.
I didn't know the game allowed different pictures for identified items vs unidentified.
Revolver
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

if it can generate different titles for un/identified items it should be able to use different pictures.
Ghengis
Miner
Miner

How about: upper-left corner has a small question mark if it's unidentified; lower-left has an icon for "specials" (area damage, fragmentation, etc.) right side has icons for damage type -- on weapons, one icon for the type of damage dealt, and for armor/shields several icons for strengths/weaknesses. A simple 16x16 (roughly) graphic with one for each type of modified damage, where it's (say) red for weakness, yellow for strength, green for immunity, and blue for reflect. Obviously, this isn't something that *needs* to be done, but it would be prettier, and make it a bit easier to compare a long list of armor at a merchant's. And since it's just some tiny monochromatic images overlaid on top of existing stuff, it shouldn't add more than a few KB to the resource file. Thoughts?
the_holy_thom
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I think its fine as it is - new graphics are added frequently, so why worry about it? Id prefer to see a new group of ship[s, modding options etc over a few different pictures.

Those of you who are graphically minded, why not make some more if you want to? Im pretty sure you can alter it in the XML - all the infos there.
Need a mod? Transcendence Mods