Passengers

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

It seems inevitable that some of the people Domina calls are not pilots. Probably some find themselves compelled to buy spaceships anyways, but many probably cannot afford to do so.

These stifled pilgrims should be found hitchhiking towards the core, mostly with other pilgrims.

I would estimate that most player ships should probably be able to take one passenger, maybe 2 for some, and a 0 slot negative bonus cargo "expansion" passenger conversion could increase that.

The passengers could be implemented as slotless, weightless virtual devices. I can think of a half dozen useful types off hand. Each passenger would have a level from 1 to 10.

Adept: has an independent pool of Domina powers and analyzes the situation in an onupdate event. Defend or if it's unavailable Sustain can be triggered if an armor segment is critically low, Restore if the shield is down or an armor segment is critically low and there's no shield, Strengthen can be used based on a "fear factor" comparing the playership's score to the scores of enemy ships and stations in sensor range. Nebular Sight can be used if in a nebula in a system in which it hasn't already been used. Circle of Wrath and Shatter can be used based on the same fear factor as Strengthen within range if there are no friendlies. Ingenuity can be used any time its timer allows. Reckless Escape just fires from the Adept's Domina set if yours is on cooldown. An Adept's Domina level is probably half his level.

Tinker: if you have two damaged items of the same type (up to his level) there is a chance per update that one will be removed and if that happens the other might be repaired or the one might be scrapped for parts without finding all the parts needed and the other remains damaged. Repairing installed devices would be prioritized. Additionally the tinker might scrap damaged devices to enhance devices of the same type. The Tinker would also increase your skill with armor repair items proportionate to his level.

Engineer: the engineer would be a dynamically created enhancer device that randomly enhances a few kinds of item (eg. three or four of reactor, drive, energyweapon, ~energyweapon, launcher, shield) up to his level. He might also reduce the duration of ion effects.

EW officer: The electronic warfare officer increases your cyberdefense level, gives you targeting and visual display upgrades, and if you have no target selected sets your target to the nearest hostile ship above a certain fear level or the scariest ship in sensor range if nothing exceeds his threshold.

Merchant: improves buy and sell prices by maybe 1% per level or 2% per level and either increases your skill with analyzers or has a chance per update of identifying something up to his level.

Gunner: This one might not be implementable at this time, but he would act as an autodefensedevice using an installed, enabled omniweapon that is not selected as primary. I'm not sure autodefensedevices have enough targeting range or that it's possible to set a weapon on cooldown from script or that power use can be managed cleanly at this time.

It seems like it might be a cool new mechanic for the Near Stars or such.
Literally is the new Figuratively
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

This would be a very cool mod, and I want to play it!
(func(Admin Response)= true){
if(admin func(amiable) = true)
Create func(Helpful Posts)
else func(Keep Calm and Post derisive topics)}
pixelfck
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I had thoughts on creating a mod with passengers a few times, but I always imagined them as a self-paying trade-good. (Passenger 'hans' wants to go to St. Kath's and will pay 2000 credits passenger fee). What you propose is much better!

~Pixelfck
Download the Black Market Expansion from Xelerus.de today!
My other mods at xelerus.de
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Nice concept, although I'm very wary about anything that fires off Shatter/COW or changes targeting info without player input. Autodefensedevice code would also need a massive upgrade if it's going to use heavy omni weapons (imagine an omni thermo-cannon using the current code. The collateral damage would be insane). But it's a very nice idea to investigate.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
FourFire
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Shrike wrote:Nice concept, although I'm very wary about anything that fires off Shatter/COW or changes targeting info without player input. Autodefensedevice code would also need a massive upgrade if it's going to use heavy omni weapons (imagine an omni thermo-cannon using the current code. The collateral damage would be insane). But it's a very nice idea to investigate.
Well ask TVR about using the Omni+ code, afaik it works very nicely.
(func(Admin Response)= true){
if(admin func(amiable) = true)
Create func(Helpful Posts)
else func(Keep Calm and Post derisive topics)}