"ignoretargeting=true" for tracking (and maybe omni) weapons

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Currently, if a weapon has tracking, it will always track the currently targeted entity. Sometimes, this isn't a good idea though. Take for example the case of the CRM400 mine from SM&M. It's a static mine that is supposed to fire a tracking missile that destroys the thing that comes close to it.

Problem is, if you've got a ship targeted and something else triggers the mine, the missile ignores the thing it can hit, and goes after the OTHER thing. Which it often cannot hit. In addition, there's a lack of flexibility: we can't target a ship with one tracking weapon while using fire-and-forget missiles to take out things in the way, because those missiles will also go for the main target. This behaviour locks weapon designers into a very rigid framework for building tracking weapons.

So as a result, It'd be nice if we some day got a simple line (Edit: For the fragment itself. Not the weapon.) that makes the fragment ignore the ships targeting, and default to homing in on the closest hostile entity. This, combined with a few other ideas that cropped up on IRC day, should give massively higher flexibility for weapons modding without forcing lengthy scripts.

Edit: Thinking about it some more, this would need two implementations to get to get it working on both omni and tracking weapons (as it'd need to go on the weapon for omnis, and on the fragment for trackers).
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Shrike wrote:Edit: Thinking about it some more, this would need two implementations to get to get it working on both omni and tracking weapons (as it'd need to go on the weapon for omnis, and on the fragment for trackers).
I'm pretty sure only one implementation is needed because weapons and fragments share so many things that it's unlikely they're implemented twice.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Atarlost wrote:
Shrike wrote:Edit: Thinking about it some more, this would need two implementations to get to get it working on both omni and tracking weapons (as it'd need to go on the weapon for omnis, and on the fragment for trackers).
I'm pretty sure only one implementation is needed because weapons and fragments share so many things that it's unlikely they're implemented twice.
Yeah, I phrased that badly. The key thing is that the way the code is used would be different between omni and tracking weapons.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.