Stations' "Wasp's Nest" AI somewhat obsolete by late game

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Atarlost wrote:The CSCs can't disrupt an Ares fleet unless the Ares are idiots. There's no fleet untl it assembles and once it does it's too late.

The components of the fleet can be intercepted and attacked while forming up. There is also the fact that even for the Transcendence universe, in which large scale communication and organization is slow and difficult, the Ares are lacking in logistics.
Even small numbers of mutually supporting Deimoses would be practically invulnerable to gunships if the AI weren't stupid about using howitzers to their full range.
Groups of ships must watch for friendly fire, and Deimos shots aren't that difficult to dodge, even with the swivel. There's also the fact that the Deimos cannot outpace a Centurion or Britannia, and both of those can take at least one hit from the Hecates without dying(at which point they can flee and recharge shields, and even repair at a CSC if there is one in the system). The sum of all of this means that large groups of capships are not as invincible as you seem to think. Remember, the same strategy was tried with B - 29s in WWII and it failed to live up to the hype.
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Phobii are quite fuel hungry, even moreso than CSCs. Keeping a shield generator on 24/7, which would be necessary to hold off raids, is by no means sustainable without refueling across multiple systems, even with reserve fuel. The stargate network is not canonically linear, meaning that tracking a ship across more than one system becomes exponentially more difficult over time. Leaving some of the scouting force is possible, but it's doubtful a small fraction of a scouting force could escape a CSC's squadrons and Tev9 array reliably.
The Phobos have like 25000 tons of cargo capacity, which let it carry about all the pteracnium fuel it ever need to travel to the galactic core.
Communication across systems is very difficult in the Transcendence universe. Furthermore, even if a Phobos were called in, it would have to contend with raids along its way(perhaps destroying it, if it did not delay itself to attempt to fight them off), the CSC's position, while not outside of the system outright, would have changed, forcing the Phobos to take additional time tracking it down, further exposing itself to raids and further giving the CSC opportunity to escape.
Even a squad of Britannia is pretty useless against a Phobos with full shield and on the move. If I was the Phobos pilot, I'd make for the stargate, jump, and camp the gate. Any gunships gating in after me can be destroyed with the Archcannon, which I can use by pointing the ship's front into the gate (I've tried this) A ship gating in needs a short time before it can move, in which it can easily be destroyed. And only one ship can gate in at a time. Any that survives can be picked off with the turret, which can't be completely evaded at close range.
The components of the fleet can be intercepted and attacked while forming up. There is also the fact that even for the Transcendence universe, in which large scale communication and organization is slow and difficult, the Ares are lacking in logistics.
The fleet cannot be disrupted if it is formed in a system without CSC presence, as gameplay tells us the CSCs or any CW entity never ever send strike forces or scout teams to other systems and CW stations and ships do not scout any enemy, and so they can't even know a fleet is being gathered. Unless the Ares choose to gather a fleet near a Commonwealth station, which would 1. Be quite stupid. 2. Probably makes the Commonwealth think the fleet's mission is to destroy that station and 3. Disrupt the CW so bad they'd likely need to send in an Aquila or a CSC to stop the fleet, which would solve the problem of tracking one for the Ares.
Groups of ships must watch for friendly fire, and Deimos shots aren't that difficult to dodge, even with the swivel. There's also the fact that the Deimos cannot outpace a Centurion or Britannia, and both of those can take at least one hit from the Hecates without dying(at which point they can flee and recharge shields, and even repair at a CSC if there is one in the system). The sum of all of this means that large groups of capships are not as invincible as you seem to think. Remember, the same strategy was tried with B - 29s in WWII and it failed to live up to the hype.
A group of capital ships may be vulnerable to hit-and-run tactics, though I doubt it considering their heavy shielding. A gunship squad would also be heavily damaged if they try to crack a Deimos groups shield. The Ares can also bring a wing of Sandstorms, Tundra, and a few Chasm as guards, and the group would be pretty much invulnerable. The B -29s example only holds as long as shields do not come into play.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

sun1404 wrote: The Phobos have like 25000 tons of cargo capacity, which let it carry about all the pteracnium fuel it ever need to travel to the galactic core.
The question of getting all of this fuel to the Phobos remains. The fuel isn't infinite, and losing a Phobos full of Peternacium is expensive even for the Ares. Even before that, the fuel must be brought to the station in excess, in order to allow the Phobos to be launched without the station losing operational capacity. This must be done through the Polar and Polar II transports, which CSCs frequently raid in order to prevent the Ares from launching a coordinated and well - supplied counterattack.
Even a squad of Britannia is pretty useless against a Phobos with full shield and on the move.
The Katana is better than it looks. A Phobos falls reasonably quickly to one ksc, let alone five.
If I was the Phobos pilot, I'd make for the stargate, jump, and camp the gate. Any gunships gating in after me can be destroyed with the Archcannon, which I can use by pointing the ship's front into the gate (I've tried this) A ship gating in needs a short time before it can move, in which it can easily be destroyed. And only one ship can gate in at a time. Any that survives can be picked off with the turret, which can't be completely evaded at close range.
"Camping the stargate" both delays pursuit of any objective and costs fuel. Combine that with the fact that a ship can gate in and out of a system faster than an Archcannon can fire, and your strategy starts to show some holes.
The fleet cannot be disrupted if it is formed in a system without CSC presence, as gameplay tells us the CSCs or any CW entity never ever send strike forces or scout teams to other systems and CW stations and ships do not scout any enemy, and so they can't even know a fleet is being gathered.
That's outright false. At rank 4, a fleet mission to destroy an Ares Commune is stated to have been given by Decker, implying that the Fleet can indeed communicate and scout across systems. They know, after all, when an Ares convoy is heading through the system, and military map ROMs indicate the Ares presence even in systems with no Commonwealth forces.
A group of capital ships may be vulnerable to hit-and-run tactics, though I doubt it considering their heavy shielding.

Phobos shields regenerate slowly. I've used them in most of my playthroughs despite this because of their ability to withstand the occasional archcannon shot, but sustained engagement is not their forte.
A gunship squad would also be heavily damaged if they try to crack a Deimos groups shield.
They can outrange the turrets and their shields can keep off Hecate damage long enough to flee. That's enough to prevent most damage from such an engagement.
The Ares can also bring a wing of Sandstorms, Tundra, and a few Chasm as guards, and the group would be pretty much invulnerable.

You are now bringing in the complements of three shipyards, leaving three large and difficult to rebuild complexes unguarded. The Commonwealth has an apparent intelligence advantage over the Ares, meaning that they're likely to both have fled to a safer location in the time it took to organize the attack group and launched raids of their own on the shipyards, even assuming that the Ares have managed to successfully supply this group(the Chasm, remember, is not by any means a long range gunship. It has a cargo capacity of only 50 tons, and some very fuel intensive equipment, meaning cannot go far without refueling. The Tundra is even worse in this regard and highly likely to hit friendlies in a large engagement. Even in the programmed encounter of a Tundra and two Sandstorms, it typically ends up killing its wingmen).

In fleet warfare, any group large enough to be invulnerable is large enough to be crippled by the inevitable logistical strain and made strategically undesirable by the resources it would need to draw from elsewhere, not to mention made slow and unwieldy by the sheer number of units that must be coordinated.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The fleet has intelligence because they have to in order to generate missions. The Ares also have intelligence. You don't see it as plainly, but they hit refugee convoys.

The Ares rely on scouting missions. The fleet also relies on scouting, but you don't see it because it's a dull mission to perform and not readily supported by the mission system.

The fleet's communications aren't as good as you think. They can't be. If Decker were micromanaging attacks on Ares communes the strikes couldn't wait for you to show up. What Decker can do is give a general directive to attack Ares communes whenever circumstances are favorable. It's noteworthy because someone needs to accept responsibility for attacking civilian targets and the higher the source for the orders the less likely pilots are to balk at them.
Literally is the new Figuratively
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Atarlost wrote:The fleet has intelligence because they have to in order to generate missions. The Ares also have intelligence. You don't see it as plainly, but they hit refugee convoys.
Their forces show up after the convoy arrives. That can be explained by patrols noticing the massive convoy and passing the information on to the communes located in the system. This can also justify why the player can continuously be tracked down and attacked by scouting patrols from the various hostile factions across human space.
The Ares rely on scouting missions. The fleet also relies on scouting, but you don't see it because it's a dull mission to perform and not readily supported by the mission system.
Both rely on scouting, but the fleet can relay information more effectively. For example, look at the two missions related to scouting. The Fleet mission to recon a shipyard is completed when the player makes visual contact. The Ares only have success in their mission when they escape the system entirely, despite the Ares presence in the system.
The fleet's communications aren't as good as you think. They can't be. If Decker were micromanaging attacks on Ares communes the strikes couldn't wait for you to show up.
Every other mission does, save for the Korolov ones. That's just the way the game is programmed at this point in time.
What Decker can do is give a general directive to attack Ares communes whenever circumstances are favorable.
That's not how the mission is set up. The target is a single commune and the orders are phrased in a way that implies the mission Decker called for is an attack on that specific commune.
It's noteworthy because someone needs to accept responsibility for attacking civilian targets and the higher the source for the orders the less likely pilots are to balk at them.
Have you read the backstory? The conflict began with an orbital strike on Earth, followed by the Commonwealth razing Mars from orbit with nuclear weapons. Even ignoring the fact that the nature of the Ares Orthodoxy makes everyone in it a military target, dead noncombatants are not a major concern in the Transcendence universe.
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

The question of getting all of this fuel to the Phobos remains. The fuel isn't infinite, and losing a Phobos full of Peternacium is expensive even for the Ares. Even before that, the fuel must be brought to the station in excess, in order to allow the Phobos to be launched without the station losing operational capacity. This must be done through the Polar and Polar II transports, which CSCs frequently raid in order to prevent the Ares from launching a coordinated and well - supplied counterattack.
CSCs only raid Ares convoys passing the system they are in. You can see Polars with defense wings in systems without CSCs, and there were never any CW strike forces sent to destroy them. In fact, there never were any strike forces except the player, which I think is not a case one would describe as 'frequent'.

Also, the CW have unlimited fuel, replenished with time. The Ares have the advantage of rich resources, so there's no reason to believe they cannot fuel a Phobos for long range missions. You don't need all 25000 tons of fuel anyway. A few hundreds are more than enough.
The Katana is better than it looks. A Phobos falls reasonably quickly to one ksc, let alone five.
If it fights. The Phobos is quick enough to do evasive maneuvers for long range KSC cannons. If the Britannias comes close, they take the risk of APA or lightning turret fires.
"Camping the stargate" both delays pursuit of any objective and costs fuel. Combine that with the fact that a ship can gate in and out of a system faster than an Archcannon can fire, and your strategy starts to show some holes.
The delay is negligible. Five APA shots are not enough time for any tactical actions. A ship can barely gate in before an APA recharges. As I noted, any ships that survives will be picked off by the turrets. At point blank the turrets are not that easy to avoid. You can get at least half the wing with APA. The rest can be destroyed at the next stargate.
That's outright false. At rank 4, a fleet mission to destroy an Ares Commune is stated to have been given by Decker, implying that the Fleet can indeed communicate and scout across systems. They know, after all, when an Ares convoy is heading through the system, and military map ROMs indicate the Ares presence even in systems with no Commonwealth forces.
The mission send you to destroy a commune inside the system with the CSC. They may be able to communicate across system, but this does not show they scout outside the system. Ares convoys coming into the system can be spotted by civilian stations/ships, or other CSCs and communicated. The ROMs working isn't explained, but considering one can use a system map ROM to explore Huaramarca, I'd say the ROM doesn't just update you with a map, but more like attempt a rough scanning of the system. Even if they just update your map with a pre-made one, knowing where a permanent station is and knowing where a fleet is gathering is not the same.
Phobos shields regenerate slowly. I've used them in most of my playthroughs despite this because of their ability to withstand the occasional archcannon shot, but sustained engagement is not their forte.
The Ares have Deimoses, which have quicker regen shields, and I did mention fighter wings which can absorb some damage. Also, hit-and-run tactics are not exactly sustained engagements. The assault squad would need to also regain any damage before going in for another hit. Their shields are about the same strength.
They can outrange the turrets and their shields can keep off Hecate damage long enough to flee. That's enough to prevent most damage from such an engagement.
Out ranging the turrets means sacrificing accuracy. Fighter wings can close in and force the squad to retaliate or retreat, while the bigger ships follow in and deal with anything left. The KSCs doesn't outrange the turrets by much anyway.
You are now bringing in the complements of three shipyards, ...
There never was any evidence that a shipyard can only build one kind of ships. You can see mixed wings of Sandstorms, Tundras, and Chasms at any Ares Communes and Shipyards. The Chasms, if I remember correctly, leads the assault of Point Juno, meaning the Ares have methods to get the ships faraway. The Tundras only have the risk of hitting friendlies in the case of skirmishes. Long range attack squads can be easily targeted and attacked without the risk of hitting friendlies. If they come close, they are decimated by the sheer amount of shots from the fleet.
In fleet warfare, any group large enough to be invulnerable is large enough to be crippled by the inevitable logistical strain and made strategically undesirable by the resources it would need to draw from elsewhere, not to mention made slow and unwieldy by the sheer number of units that must be coordinated.
The fleet needs not to be completely invulnerable. Just indestructible by mere assault squads. You don't see gathered fleets destroyed by mere strike forces in modern warfare, do you? Not in wars between comparable powers, at least. The coordination problem is unlikely in the scenario of space fleets. Humans today have the ability to communicate across the Earth, even a conference holding hundreds are possible. In space it's even easier to transmit signals.
Both rely on scouting, but the fleet can relay information more effectively. For example, look at the two missions related to scouting. The Fleet mission to recon a shipyard is completed when the player makes visual contact. The Ares only have success in their mission when they escape the system entirely, despite the Ares presence in the system.
The player mission completes at vision contact, because that's the last thing the player need to do at the site. They then need to return to the CSC to really complete the mission. Not to mention this is an in-system mission, whereas the Ares scoutings are not. Intersystem communications are not possible, or rare at best, considering the canon story and gameplay. They always need a messenger ship.
Every other mission does, save for the Korolov ones. That's just the way the game is programmed at this point in time.
We've stick mostly to gameplay for informations about how things are in this discussion. Using the 'that's just how it's programmed' argument isn't really reasonable. If you want to make it realistic and not stick to what we see in-game, it's also unreasonable that the APA, a siege weapon, or any capital ship weapons, would have a shorter range than a skirmish weapon like the KSC. It's also unreasonable that any capital ships, even a flagship like the Phobos, would be unequipped with any point defense technologies. Or that a pilgrim like the player should be accepted into the fleet at any rank higher than privateer.
That's not how the mission is set up. The target is a single commune and the orders are phrased in a way that implies the mission Decker called for is an attack on that specific commune.
[/quote]

The target is a single commune because it's not really a good idea to order a lone ship to destroy a whole lot of communes as a mission. Missions should have only one target. This is normal. A large scale clean-the-system missions are more suitable to an Aquila wing. The orders are phrased in a way that implies the mission the CSCs captain called for is an attack on that specific commune. It implies nothing about what Decker said.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

sun1404 wrote: CSCs only raid Ares convoys passing the system they are in. You can see Polars with defense wings in systems without CSCs, and there were never any CW strike forces sent to destroy them. In fact, there never were any strike forces except the player, which I think is not a case one would describe as 'frequent'.
That's the limitations of the current build of the game. There are also no scouting patrols in game, yet they clearly exist given the fact that the CSC can detect the incoming Ares squadrons and capital ships when assigning the player a mission.
Also, the CW have unlimited fuel, replenished with time. The Ares have the advantage of rich resources, so there's no reason to believe they cannot fuel a Phobos for long range missions. You don't need all 25000 tons of fuel anyway. A few hundreds are more than enough.
To load up a Phobos for a long range mission, you have to get the fuel to a shipyard first. This is done through the Ares supply lines, which are vulnerable. In addition, though the Ares are a very resource - rich faction, they do not have infinite supplies, and must allocate them effectively. Scheduling some polars to transport that fuel means they can't be doing something else, like supplying raw materials to build ships or performing routine resupply to the outer outposts. Setting everything up to build up fuel for a mission like this is certain to be noticed, and can be prepared for a long time in advance.
If it fights. The Phobos is quick enough to do evasive maneuvers for long range KSC cannons. If the Britannias comes close, they take the risk of APA or lightning turret fires.
A Phobos cannot reliably dodge a KSC. Even a playership can't do so consistently. The projectiles are simply too fast and fired too quickly. Furthermore, the difficulty of evading fire goes up exponentially as the number of directions it is coming from increases. A Britannia can dodge cannon fire from a single Phobos, but that Phobos cannot evade the return fire of five Britannias all striking from different angles, especially if it's trying to line up return fire at the same time.
The delay is negligible. Five APA shots are not enough time for any tactical actions.
Gating in, seeing the Phobos waiting there, and gating out can be done faster than even one shot can be fired. In addition, ships directly inside the stargate are safe from harm. There's no merit to your tactic here, it simply won't work.
A ship can barely gate in before an APA recharges. As I noted, any ships that survives will be picked off by the turrets. At point blank the turrets are not that easy to avoid. You can get at least half the wing with APA. The rest can be destroyed at the next stargate.
You assume ships blindly follow through the stargate, immediately spread out, and wait to be killed. You cannot claim the Ares are supremely competent villain - sues immune to the fundamental problems of logistics yet assume the Commonwealth Fleet, who have been fighting them for years, lack any sort of basic common sense.
The mission send you to destroy a commune inside the system with the CSC. They may be able to communicate across system, but this does not show they scout outside the system.
What's stopping them from doing so? We have significant evidence stating that they can, and none stating that they can't.
The ROMs working isn't explained, but considering one can use a system map ROM to explore Huaramarca, I'd say the ROM doesn't just update you with a map, but more like attempt a rough scanning of the system.
Read the item descriptions, that's not correct.
Even if they just update your map with a pre-made one, knowing where a permanent station is and knowing where a fleet is gathering is not the same.
Granted, but their ability to detect the 'unknown hostiles' all of which take less time to prepare than your ideal attack force, implies that they would have no trouble doing so.

The Ares have Deimoses, which have quicker regen shields, and I did mention fighter wings which can absorb some damage.
The ones in game, including those on missions, lack fighter squadrons escorting them. They're designed to operate alone, and the logistical difficulties of keeping fighters larger than a Sandstorm fueled across even system - wide distances shows why.
Also, hit-and-run tactics are not exactly sustained engagements.
That is not what I described. Gunships that get damaged can pull back while others continue the engagement.
The assault squad would need to also regain any damage before going in for another hit. Their shields are about the same strength.
Multiple attackers, one defender. The gunships aren't likely to incur much damage in the attack, given their ability to evade fire, and even if one were forced to retreat, there would be several more continuing the fight and continuing to wear down the capital ship's armor.
Out ranging the turrets means sacrificing accuracy.
It really doesn't. Any player who's completed the game knows that it is not only possible but essential to hit targets accurately from distances exceeding 80ls.
Fighter wings can close in and force the squad to retaliate or retreat, while the bigger ships follow in and deal with anything left.
The fastest Ares fighters aren't that much faster than a Britannia, and those would be Sandstorms, which can be quickly and easily destroyed with missiles. Other fighters would need to break formation to engage, and could thus be either avoided or broken off and engaged separately depending on their persistence.
The KSCs doesn't outrange the turrets by much anyway.
They outrange them significantly. I've tested it myself.
There never was any evidence that a shipyard can only build one kind of ships. You can see mixed wings of Sandstorms, Tundras, and Chasms at any Ares Communes and Shipyards.
One type of special ship appears to be Ares doctrine. Sandstorms and tundras are ubiquitous, but each Ares shipyard has either a pair of Deimos's, one Phobos, or several Chasms. They are capable of building multiple kinds of ships, but appear to favor maintaining only kind at a time.
The Chasms, if I remember correctly, leads the assault of Point Juno, meaning the Ares have methods to get the ships faraway.
There are two Communes right in the system.
The Tundras only have the risk of hitting friendlies in the case of skirmishes. Long range attack squads can be easily targeted and attacked without the risk of hitting friendlies.
Tundras lack the maneuverability and projectile speed to effectively fight at long range against anything faster than a CSC or Aquila.
The fleet needs not to be completely invulnerable. Just indestructible by mere assault squads.
That is what invulnerable implies in this instance. Invulnerable to anything the Fleet has.
You don't see gathered fleets destroyed by mere strike forces in modern warfare, do you?
Actually, many countries use precisely that strategy as their naval doctrine. How well it would work in practice is as of yet unknown, but the major counter developed thus far appears to be the use of attack helicopters, which, if we are treating the Centurions and Britannias as gunboats, has no analogue in the Transcendence universe.
Not in wars between comparable powers, at least.
The fight between the Fleet and the Ares is quite clearly asymmetrical warfare. If every Ares ship in a late system was placed next to the CSC, the CSC would be destroyed. The CSCs seen in game are not, in fact, destroyed, implying that direct, symmetrical battle is not occurring. Further evidence of this is the likely role of the Aquila cruiser. Equipped with an AOE based launcher and two KSCs(two hardpoints are present but not used, and a 500mw reactor is enough to supply the 460mw required to load the ship out with four KSCs, so it is unclear whether they typically field two or four turrets), it is clearly not designed for fighting the Deimos or Phobos directly, as many seem to assume. Rather, it is designed perfectly to quickly destroy patrols of lighter ships, enabling the Fleet's CSCs to better remain undetected. The Commonwealth Fleet lacks both the production capabilities and the personnel required to fight the Ares in massive fleet battles, and its leadership is smart enough to be aware of this. Therefore, they have built their naval doctrine on the basis of stealth, versatility, and agility.
The coordination problem is unlikely in the scenario of space fleets. Humans today have the ability to communicate across the Earth, even a conference holding hundreds are possible. In space it's even easier to transmit signals.
Coordination not only requires short range tactical information, but also logistical coordination across systems. In addition, distances in Transcendence are shown on an exponential scale. Communicating across a system is shown to be difficult, given the fact that the player cannot contact their autons if they are too far away.
The player mission completes at vision contact, because that's the last thing the player need to do at the site. They then need to return to the CSC to really complete the mission.
You contradicted yourself.

The mission complete indicator shows that the information has been relayed. The player must return to the CSC to claim the reward(Fleet EXP), but the mission is completed whether or not they do so.
Not to mention this is an in-system mission, whereas the Ares scoutings are not. Intersystem communications are not possible, or rare at best, considering the canon story and gameplay.
Intersystem communications are rare for factions that aren't the Fleet. Decker coordinates the Fleet across their entire operational territory, and an operation involving 4 CSCs is mentioned in passing, which would not be possible without an extreme degree of competence in that area.
They always need a messenger ship.
Carriers tend to have a lot of those.
We've stick mostly to gameplay for informations about how things are in this discussion. Using the 'that's just how it's programmed' argument isn't really reasonable.
Oh? Korolov and the Fleet both show the ability to detect targets across long range despite no scouting patrols appearing in game on their behalf. Some things must be assumed to exist without being shown due to conservation of detail, or many things cease to make any sense.
If you want to make it realistic and not stick to what we see in-game, it's also unreasonable that the APA, a siege weapon, or any capital ship weapons, would have a shorter range than a skirmish weapon like the KSC.
They don't, but they are more difficult to hit with due to the slower projectile speed, and the ships fielding them are less able to aim them. The weapons are designed for fighting CSCs and Aquilas, not gunships.
It's also unreasonable that any capital ships, even a flagship like the Phobos,
The Phobos isn't a flagship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagship

It is stated to be a dreadnought, it acts like a battlecruiser, but it is not by any definition a flagship. The only flagships present in game are the Terra, the Kronosaurus, and possibly the ICS, depending on how the Iocrym work.
would be unequipped with any point defense technologies.
I'm assuming you mean anti - missile defense. The lightning turrets are their point defense against ships. They lack missile defense, but those are rare and expensive in Transcendence. Even the Commonwealth, which builds the only two missile defense systems in the game, only places one on their largest and most expensive warship.
Or that a pilgrim like the player should be accepted into the fleet at any rank higher than privateer.
The Commonwealth Fleet has long since lost at least some of its military discipline, given the fact that the Rogue Fleet exists and the hospital ships are taking donations from passers by. In addition, in a world where the gods are inarguably and actively capable of intervening directly through attacks capable of instantly destroying all but the most powerful and well shielded warships, I'd imagine pilgrims, or at least the ones that survive long enough to reach Ares territory, are treated somewhat differently in Transcendence than they are in real life. Furthermore, the nature of killing, fighting, and warfare are all very different in Transcendence than in the modern world. Housing complexes feature state of the art weaponry(for their section of space, at least, as implied by the flavor text in Rigel), cargo ships have turrets capable of destroying pirate gunships in a matter of seconds, and the Corporate Hierarchy not only posess a fleet of cruisers capable of destroying virtually any warship, but an entire group of mercenaries equipped with warships and armament rivaling those of the military. The division between civillians and the government is less like that of the 21st century USA, and more like that of the 19th Century USA.

There's also the fact that the player must have membership in the militia(or the I.D. of someone who did) to dock with one of their ships, but that's the boring explanation.
[/quote]
The target is a single commune because it's not really a good idea to order a lone ship to destroy a whole lot of communes as a mission.
Poor phrasing, my fault.

What I meant was they order you to target a specific commune, not just any commune in the system.
The orders are phrased in a way that implies the mission the CSCs captain called for is an attack on that specific commune. It implies nothing about what Decker said.
CSC Captain wrote:This mission is straight from Admiral Decker himself.
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

It seems you missed many of my points, which I would not like to repeat. I will answer what I have not yet, though.
To load up a Phobos for a long range mission, you have to get the fuel to a shipyard first. This is done through the Ares supply lines, which are vulnerable. In addition, though the Ares are a very resource - rich faction, they do not have infinite supplies, and must allocate them effectively. Scheduling some polars to transport that fuel means they can't be doing something else, like supplying raw materials to build ships or performing routine resupply to the outer outposts. Setting everything up to build up fuel for a mission like this is certain to be noticed, and can be prepared for a long time in advance.
It would be easy to build a Phobos deep in Ares territory, and send it out after it's filled with fuel. 25000 fuel isn't that much. Any big organization can mine many systems and have virtually unlimited fuel. The Ares isn't in a crisis state, so it's unreasonable that they would not have enough couriers for extra missions.
A Phobos cannot reliably dodge a KSC. Even a playership can't do so consistently. The projectiles are simply too fast and fired too quickly. Furthermore, the difficulty of evading fire goes up exponentially as the number of directions it is coming from increases. A Britannia can dodge cannon fire from a single Phobos, but that Phobos cannot evade the return fire of five Britannias all striking from different angles, especially if it's trying to line up return fire at the same time.
It will not be easy for the Britannias to strike from different angles, since the Phobos would be always moving. Just maintaining a loose ring big enough to be outside the turret range would be hard enough. Many would hardly have any chances to fire. And as I said, the Phobos should not fight, if the gunships use more advanced tactics than current AI.
Gating in, seeing the Phobos waiting there, and gating out can be done faster than even one shot can be fired. In addition, ships directly inside the stargate are safe from harm. There's no merit to your tactic here, it simply won't work.
No it can't. You get a short delay after gating in which you can't do anything. Gating and moving included. A ship jutting it's front inside a gate can fire at objects in the gate, at point blank range. It does work, I've used it to get rid of retaliation forces in DySys. That mod does not change how gates or weapons work.
You assume ships blindly follow through the stargate, immediately spread out, and wait to be killed. You cannot claim the Ares are supremely competent villain - sues immune to the fundamental problems of logistics yet assume the Commonwealth Fleet, who have been fighting them for years, lack any sort of basic common sense.
My strategy destroy ships as soon as they gate in, not waiting for them to spread out. Any that leak out can be destroyed by turrets. This is an example of how you didn't get some of my points.
Granted, but their ability to detect the 'unknown hostiles' all of which take less time to prepare than your ideal attack force, implies that they would have no trouble doing so.
If the ROMs just update your map, it'd take no time at all. Doesn't mean it take no time to detect stations. It have prior informations.
The ones in game, including those on missions, lack fighter squadrons escorting them. They're designed to operate alone, and the logistical difficulties of keeping fighters larger than a Sandstorm fueled across even system - wide distances shows why.
We're talking about assembling a fleet. A fleet can be assembled right outside a station. The fighters can be recalled after protection is not needed anymore, when the fleet's assembled.
Multiple attackers, one defender. The gunships aren't likely to incur much damage in the attack, given their ability to evade fire, and even if one were forced to retreat, there would be several more continuing the fight and continuing to wear down the capital ship's armor.
Again, we're talking about a fleet. It's not a single object. It's more ships than an assault squad.
It really doesn't. Any player who's completed the game knows that it is not only possible but essential to hit targets accurately from distances exceeding 80ls.
Not true. I have played many games without ever sniping. It's boring.
One type of special ship appears to be Ares doctrine. Sandstorms and tundras are ubiquitous, but each Ares shipyard has either a pair of Deimos's, one Phobos, or several Chasms. They are capable of building multiple kinds of ships, but appear to favor maintaining only kind at a time.
I've seen Shipyards with Chasms build Phoboses when I attack them. And we're talking about a special case, assembling a special fleet for a mission. The shipyard can change it's schedules.
There are two Communes right in the system.
Communes do not build ships. They must be transported there.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

It would be easy to build a Phobos deep in Ares territory, and send it out after it's filled with fuel. 25000 fuel isn't that much.
It's 500,000% than what is found on a standard Phobos, and vastly more than exists as a sum of every fuel rod a player will encounter in game. No shipyard is going to have that much fuel on standby, and even if you estimate Ares Prime to have more fuel resources than the rest of human space combined, storing that much fuel outside of Ares territory would an unnecessary risk, assuming it were even remotely possible for the Ares to conduct a cross - system operation of that distance and scale.
Any big organization can mine many systems and have virtually unlimited fuel. The Ares isn't in a crisis state, so it's unreasonable that they would not have enough couriers for extra missions.
Take an economics class and learn about opportunity cost. No sensible group will build more of anything than it needs, especially not to the excess you seem to think is possible. There is no logical train of thought that would lead to the Ares deciding to invest in the ability to transport more peternacium than exists in the entire game universe at a single time, to a single location.
It will not be easy for the Britannias to strike from different angles since the Phobos would be always moving.
Multiple ships will almost invariably have the ability to attack the target from different angles. The alternative is firing from a single point, which is ridiculous.
Just maintaining a loose ring big enough to be outside the turret range would be hard enough. Many would hardly have any chances to fire.
It can only target and pursue one at a time, the others can match speed and fire continuously.
And as I said, the Phobos should not fight, if the gunships use more advanced tactics than current AI.
This makes no sense. Did you misword something here?
No it can't. You get a short delay after gating in which you can't do anything. Gating and moving included. A ship jutting it's front inside a gate can fire at objects in the gate, at point blank range. It does work, I've used it to get rid of retaliation forces in DySys. That mod does not change how gates or weapons work.
Ultimately, an ideal strike force consists of 10 Centurions and 5 Britannias. Even through exploiting the glitch you described, you eliminate one Centurion at most, as the other ships would not immediately follow through the gate.
My strategy destroy ships as soon as they gate in, not waiting for them to spread out. Any that leak out can be destroyed by turrets. This is an example of how you didn't get some of my points.
You misread my post. Read it again.
If the ROMs just update your map, it'd take no time at all. Doesn't mean it take no time to detect stations. It have prior informations.
How does the CSC detecting the Phobii even earlier than the game suggests support your argument?
We're talking about assembling a fleet. A fleet can be assembled right outside a station. The fighters can be recalled after protection is not needed anymore, when the fleet's assembled.
Earlier, you stated that the attack group should have a fighter escort. Now you say that non - capital ships should be recalled before the group is launched. Which is it?

[quote
Again, we're talking about a fleet. It's not a single object. It's more ships than an assault squad.[/quote]

The Ares do not have more Phobii and Deimoses than the Commonwealth have Centurions and Britannias. The Ares have a high production capacity, but nowhere near to the extent you imply.
Not true. I have played many games without ever sniping. It's boring.
A permadeath or any playthrough in which Phobii are to be reliably fought without an omnidirectional or tracking weapon requires good aim, to say nothing of beating the Ventari without backtracking.

The old Ranx Dreadnought necessitated this even more if one didn't attack it from point black.
I've seen Shipyards with Chasms build Phoboses when I attack them.
I already covered that. Read the entirety of my posts before you respond.
And we're talking about a special case, assembling a special fleet for a mission. The shipyard can change it's schedules.
Communes do not build ships. They must be transported there.
The Communes can still perform resupply operations, essential for fielding a group of light gunships over a long period of time. Even then, the Ares took long enough in organizing an attack force consisting entirely of light, fast ships that the Commonwealth presence in the area - even when lacking a CSC and stated to be unable to spare any ships - was able to detect half of their strike force, as well as their long range missileships. This has rather unflattering implications for Ares logistics, as well as for their ability to conduct operations with any kind of stealth or subtlety.
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

It's 500,000% than what is found on a standard Phobos,
1. Anything you find on a wreck is a fraction of what the ship carried.
2. The Phobos you're talking about is the one in the game, where it never ever need to refuel. Considering the game mechanics, giving a capital ship what it would need in reality would break the game.
3. I've already said, you don't actually need that much fuel. Just 1000 would be more than enough for the mission.
Take an economics class and learn about opportunity cost. No sensible group will build more of anything than it needs, especially not to the excess you seem to think is possible. There is no logical train of thought that would lead to the Ares deciding to invest in the ability to transport more peternacium than exists in the entire game universe at a single time, to a single location.
Do you see delivery services building or buying new trucks whenever they want to use one? And getting rid of them when they're finished? Any organization would have at least some spare of such resources. Enough for their peak need. And then a little more.
It can only target and pursue one at a time, the others can match speed and fire continuously.
This makes no sense. Did you misword something here?
The Phobos have very strong shields and armors. It can plough through a system with Britannias firing on it. I did not 'misword' anything. The Phobos should not fight. It should just continue on it's course, if the gunships use your strategy. If the gunships use current AI, they'll come close, and be no match for the Phobos.

If the Phobos fly in a slightly erratic pattern, for example a random helix, the gunships would need to continuously change direction and speed to match it. There would be barely any time for them to fire.
Ultimately, an ideal strike force consists of 10 Centurions and 5 Britannias. Even through exploiting the glitch you described, you eliminate one Centurion at most, as the other ships would not immediately follow through the gate.
And how exactly would they proceed? Send one Centurion ahead to scout, wait for it to come back, and then follow? If that Centurion doesn't come back, they just cancel the mission and return home? They're the attacking side, the hunter. They must follow or fail their mission. If they come, they die. If they don't, the Phobos still continue.
You misread my post. Read it again.
This is what you said.
And this is my reply.
Which mean, I do not assume ships blindly follow through the stargate, immediately spread out, and wait to be killed. I kill them as soon as they gate in, before which they cannot see me. By which time they can't do anything due to the delay imposed by gating.
How does the CSC detecting the Phobii even earlier than the game suggests support your argument?
I was talking about the ROM, not the CSC. And not anything about Phoboses.
Earlier, you stated that the attack group should have a fighter escort. Now you say that non - capital ships should be recalled before the group is launched. Which is it?
I say the fleet can be protected by fighters while they're being gathered. And that if the Ares really cannot afford to send those fighters along with the fleet, they can recall them when the fleet is ready to move.
The Ares do not have more Phobii and Deimoses than the Commonwealth have Centurions and Britannias. The Ares have a high production capacity, but nowhere near to the extent you imply.
In this case, the Ares is gathering a large fleet to hunt the CSCs, the last footholds the CW have in their territory, while the CW is only sending an assault squad to disrupt said fleet's gathering, which is unlikely, because they could hardly learn of said fleet's gathering. Even if they know, they're probably not sending every fighters they have. Just a squad.
A permadeath or any playthrough in which Phobii are to be reliably fought without an omnidirectional or tracking weapon requires good aim, to say nothing of beating the Ventari without backtracking.

The old Ranx Dreadnought necessitated this even more if one didn't attack it from point black.
That is just your strategy. I rarely fire far outside of visual ranges except with missiles. Phoboses can surely be killed in a dogfight. Yes it requires good aim and good weapons. No it doesn't require omni/tracking or sniping.

The old Dreadnought is much easier to kill than the current one, at least for me. Since they didn't have internal compartments. I can kill one with a KSC, without sniping from beyond visual range or firing from point blank. And why can't I attack one from point blank again?
The Communes can still perform resupply operations, essential for fielding a group of light gunships over a long period of time. Even then, the Ares took long enough in organizing an attack force consisting entirely of light, fast ships that the Commonwealth presence in the area - even when lacking a CSC and stated to be unable to spare any ships - was able to detect half of their strike force, as well as their long range missileships. This has rather unflattering implications for Ares logistics, as well as for their ability to conduct operations with any kind of stealth or subtlety.
The Chasms still need to be transported there, over great range and pass CSCs. That Pt. Juno can't spare any more ships to go with the player is that they'd need those ships as the last defense lines. Without the threat of the Ares fleet, Pt. Juno can certainly spare a few scouts. And it would, I presume, have some great detection systems, as it's the only fortress the CW Fleet has in the Ares' territory. Certainly it's better than a CSC.

Even without all that, it's quite impossible to gather a force big enough to overwhelm an active fortress without it noticing. The Cometfalls were planned to join in the confusion, which never occurred or has already ended because of player's intervention. They're siege weapons, not stealth fighters. The Ares doesn't seem to prefer subtlety, true. But this scenario also proves that, even when the CW fleet can spot an Ares fleet building up to destroy their ONLY fortress, they have no power to stop it if the player didn't come. A CSC would stand no chances, being closer and less protected.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

sun1404 wrote: 1. Anything you find on a wreck is a fraction of what the ship carried.
While this is true, things like ammunition and fuel are typically almost completely preserved.
2. The Phobos you're talking about is the one in the game, where it never ever need to refuel. Considering the game mechanics, giving a capital ship what it would need in reality would break the game.
3. I've already said, you don't actually need that much fuel. Just 1000 would be more than enough for the mission.
You fail to take into account the fact that distances in Transcendence are reduced logarithmically to make it playable. In terms of strategy and storyline, distances are vastly greater, thus why Korolov hasn't already located the Charon fortress by the time the player arrives despite the fact that the player can find it in a matter of minutes(hours in adjusted time, but still trivial) with a quick loop around the outer area of the system.

For reference, look at our system, Sol. Assuming a CSC is approximately the size of a supercarrier, a justifiable assumption given the size of the windows in its model, the references to the size of its crew(an explosion that does roughly 10% damage to a CSC would cost hundreds of lives rather than thousands, implying a crew of 3000 - 10000, approximately that of a Nimitz class) and the relative size of the single pilot Centurion gunships on its deck. A Nimitz can not even be seen from orbit, and earth is barely a speck in the solar system as a whole. Add a Z - axis to this, and hunting down a CSC becomes both difficult, arduous, and fuel intensive.

The only ships the player sees making long distance cargo runs regularly are Polars and Superfreighters. There's a reason neither is shielded.
Do you see delivery services building or buying new trucks whenever they want to use one? And getting rid of them when they're finished? Any organization would have at least some spare of such resources. Enough for their peak need. And then a little more.
Not enough for an operation that would easily require more than twice what they'd need for any logical course of action.
The Phobos have very strong shields and armors. It can plough through a system with Britannias firing on it. I did not 'misword' anything. The Phobos should not fight. It should just continue on it's course, if the gunships use your strategy.
I've tested this. One Brittania can cripplingly damage a Phobos going through a single system. Five would kill it quickly enough that it couldn't do anything meaningful. Furthermore, if the Phobos isn't using its spinal gun, the bulk of turret fire can be avoided, and Britannias can easily enter missile range, with any individual retreating at 50% shield damage.
If the Phobos fly in a slightly erratic pattern, for example a random helix, the gunships would need to continuously change direction and speed to match it. There would be barely any time for them to fire.
Completely false. Aiming can be adjusted more quickly than position.
And how exactly would they proceed? Send one Centurion ahead to scout, wait for it to come back, and then follow? If that Centurion doesn't come back, they just cancel the mission and return home? They're the attacking side, the hunter. They must follow or fail their mission. If they come, they die. If they don't, the Phobos still continue.
You're exploiting a glitch regardless. It's not a viable tactic. Just for the sake of argument, however:

If the Centurion gates through and back(which can easily be done before a Phobos's firing animation completes) the rest of the flight takes the information it observed and proceeds. If it does not, the civillian presence in the other system will quickly notice the Phobos sitting on a stargate and alert the fleet.

Which mean, I do not assume ships blindly follow through the stargate, immediately spread out, and wait to be killed. I kill them as soon as they gate in, before which they cannot see me. By which time they can't do anything due to the delay imposed by gating.
You're saying "I" when referring to the Phobos. That's poor form. We're discussing AI routines on a forum, not superpowers in a kindergarden playground. A good debater separates himself from the subjects so that he can think rationally and understand the situation rather than succumb to the numerous biases that come into play when one puts himself in the position of one of the parties in a hypothetical scenario.
I was talking about the ROM, not the CSC. And not anything about Phoboses.
Reread that section of the thread. How the Phobii being detected was the initial question being asked.
I say the fleet can be protected by fighters while they're being gathered. And that if the Ares really cannot afford to send those fighters along with the fleet, they can recall them when the fleet is ready to move.
So, where do the Ares believe these fighters should be sent? Should they stop guarding their shipyards and meet at the rally point, leaving their shipyards open to attack?
In this case, the Ares is gathering a large fleet to hunt the CSCs, the last footholds the CW have in their territory, while the CW is only sending an assault squad to disrupt said fleet's gathering, which is unlikely, because they could hardly learn of said fleet's gathering.
They can learn of a single Commune far from any other activity in the system. They can learn where the Rogue Fleet is holding a set of scientists rapidly enough to launch a rescue mission. They learn of a single incoming Polar before it even arrives, and they can locate a squadron of sandstorms led by one Chasm even with no reinforcements and no ships to spare.

You expect them to be completely blind to a logistical operation several degrees of magnitude larger than any other Ares operation in the game?
That is just your strategy. I rarely fire far outside of visual ranges except with missiles. Phoboses can surely be killed in a dogfight. Yes it requires good aim and good weapons. No it doesn't require omni/tracking or sniping.
Then why do you believe that 5 Britannias can't kill it in a dogfight? A greater numerical advantage almost universally results in fewer casualties.
The old Dreadnought is much easier to kill than the current one, at least for me. Since they didn't have internal compartments. I can kill one with a KSC, without sniping from beyond visual range or firing from point blank. And why can't I attack one from point blank again?
The old Dreadnought was easier to kill, but only from close range. From a distance it was much more lethal.
as it's the only fortress the CW Fleet has in the Ares' territory. Certainly it's better than a CSC.
It is not a fortress. It is a refueling point. Look into the lore if you're going to continue this conversation.
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Not enough for an operation that would easily require more than twice what they'd need for any logical course of action.
You'd need at most five Polars for those fuels. The CW militia calls you for help escorting about that number of Superfreighters. Certainly the Ares can spare that much.
I've tested this. One Brittania can cripplingly damage a Phobos going through a single system. Five would kill it quickly enough that it couldn't do anything meaningful. Furthermore, if the Phobos isn't using its spinal gun, the bulk of turret fire can be avoided, and Britannias can easily enter missile range, with any individual retreating at 50% shield damage.
How exactly did you test this? I've often sent my wing of Britannias to fight a Phobos, and they often can't even bring it's shield down.
Completely false. Aiming can be adjusted more quickly than position.
If you only adjust aiming, the formation will quickly deform, since the Phobos is always moving, and not in a straight line.
You're exploiting a glitch regardless. It's not a viable tactic. Just for the sake of argument, however:

If the Centurion gates through and back(which can easily be done before a Phobos's firing animation completes) the rest of the flight takes the information it observed and proceeds. If it does not, the civillian presence in the other system will quickly notice the Phobos sitting on a stargate and alert the fleet.
And how exactly will they follow the Phobos into that system without passing it's frontal gun point at the gate? It's not a glitch. It's the mechanic of stargates.
You're saying "I" when referring to the Phobos. That's poor form. We're discussing AI routines on a forum, not superpowers in a kindergarden playground. A good debater separates himself from the subjects so that he can think rationally and understand the situation rather than succumb to the numerous biases that come into play when one puts himself in the position of one of the parties in a hypothetical scenario.
You're insulting me for what I didn't done. I said 'I' when referring to me. You assumed that I think ships will blindly gate and wait to be killed. I said No.
Reread that section of the thread. How the Phobii being detected was the initial question being asked.
The initial question, yes, but not the question I addressed with this answer. That initial question I already answered, and you asked back with another question.
So, where do the Ares believe these fighters should be sent? Should they stop guarding their shipyards and meet at the rally point, leaving their shipyards open to attack?
I've said this, rally at a shipyard.
They can learn of a single Commune far from any other activity in the system. They can learn where the Rogue Fleet is holding a set of scientists rapidly enough to launch a rescue mission. They learn of a single incoming Polar before it even arrives, and they can locate a squadron of sandstorms led by one Chasm even with no reinforcements and no ships to spare.

You expect them to be completely blind to a logistical operation several degrees of magnitude larger than any other Ares operation in the game?
All your examples are within CW territory. The Ares fleet can be rallied in Ares territory, far from CW presences.
Then why do you believe that 5 Britannias can't kill it in a dogfight? A greater numerical advantage almost universally results in fewer casualties.
Because you said they will be sniping from the edge of their range, which means they can do much less damage per a length of time.

Also because they're Britannias, not the playership, with rare missiles, high-end weapons, super shields, and a whole lot of devices.
It is not a fortress. It is a refueling point. Look into the lore if you're going to continue this conversation.
A refueling point, with a commander of the Fleet on board, and a sizable division of ships protecting it. What more do you want before you call it a fortress?

All in all, I feel that this argument is becoming pointless. The lore obviously states that the CW is fighting a losing battle, and do not posses any viable defense against the Ares Phoboses and even Chasms. Even the new Aquilae aren't really that good. First you argue against this using informations from the game, that the CW gunships have enough weaponry to destroy a Phobos given they use good tactics. Then when presented with counter evidences you cite the lore.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

sun1404 wrote: You'd need at most five Polars for those fuels. The CW militia calls you for help escorting about that number of Superfreighters. Certainly the Ares can spare that much.
The militia's superfreighter escort mission is simply part of the game's unfinished status. There's only one mission for that rank, so it naturally occurs more often than it ought to.
How exactly did you test this? I've often sent my wing of Britannias to fight a Phobos, and they often can't even bring it's shield down.
I tested it by using a Britannia playership against a spawned in Phobos. The AI Britannias don't do an effective amount of damage because the game's current AI is still somewhat simple, and incapable of taking things like weapon range and armor sections into consideration.
If you only adjust aiming, the formation will quickly deform, since the Phobos is always moving, and not in a straight line.
If the Phobos goes off course, it cannot effectively scout an area.
And how exactly will they follow the Phobos into that system without passing it's frontal gun point at the gate? It's not a glitch. It's the mechanic of stargates.
No, it's not.

In gameplay terms, it looks ridiculous and takes the fun out of playing. In terms of realism, space is 3D, making such a thing impossible.
I've said this, rally at a shipyard.
The ships you'd wish to include are situated at two or more shipyards.

All your examples are within CW territory. The Ares fleet can be rallied in Ares territory, far from CW presences.
The Outer Realm is Ranx, Ringer, and Ares space. The only "CW territory" is the New Beyond.
Because you said they will be sniping from the edge of their range, which means they can do much less damage per a length of time.
The disparity between the range of ALTs and the range of KSCs is enough that there would be no significant reduction in damage potential.
A refueling point, with a commander of the Fleet on board, and a sizable division of ships protecting it. What more do you want before you call it a fortress?
They're two different roles entirely.
All in all, I feel that this argument is becoming pointless. The lore obviously states that the CW is fighting a losing battle, and do not posses any viable defense against the Ares Phoboses and even Chasms.
You must be joking. A Chasm is beaten 1v1 by a Britannia, and even Centurions can outmaneuver the things given a decent AI.
Even the new Aquilae aren't really that good.
They're good for their role. They can easily handle large groups of gunships, serving as area denial craft and denying the Ares the ability to effectively locate the CSCs. Look up the role of a Cruiser, you'll find they fill it perfectly. Equipped with Lamplighters, they can also accomplish some fairly spectacular things against stationary targets like shipyards.

They can also kill a Deimos in a one to one pitched battle.
First you argue against this using informations from the game, that the CW gunships have enough weaponry to destroy a Phobos given they use good tactics. Then when presented with counter evidences you cite the lore.
You've presented no evidence.
Kourtious
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

JohnBWatson wrote:
From what I've seen, it's a question of a lack of AI capability, not any fundamental constant in the design, role, or armament of the ships. Imagine 10 - 15 Centurions using their superior maneuverability and small size to draw fire from just within turret range, drawing back when fired upon and fleeing whenever their shields fail, while 5 Britannias focus fire on the rear of the ship, darting back whenever the Phobos manages to target them long enough to significantly weaken their shields. Remember, the average player takes down about five of the things, generally singlehandedly, and those 20 fighters are a fraction of a CSC's fighter complement(a group of 4 CSCs was said by Decker to field hundreds of Centurions).
The problem is that Phobos hunting missions are solely reliant on the player to deal actual damage, because Commonwealth ships are either on par or weaker than Ares Warships. For example, if a Tev 9/Katana modified Centurian fights a Tundra, then the result obviously favors a Tundra. The same is for a CSC + Strike Crafts vs a single Phobos. It is unfortunate to say this, but the bad guys are stronger.

An idea to make Commonwealth stand on par with the Ares by tweaking it's combat A.I.

: A.i. will group multiple ships into 1 squadron. The A.i. will gauge the health and combat strength of the squadron as a single unit. If the squadron is 50% damaged, then the squadron will make a retreat as a whole. On the other hand, if the squadron is winning a fight, then it shall fight to the last stand till the tables are turned.

Centurian Squadrons:
-Attack in flanking position on both sides of the targeted segment at close range. Damaged Centurians retreat to mid-range.

Britannia Squadrons:
-Attack in 2 parallel lines at the targeted segment. Once launched its barrage of missiles/Katana attacks at mid-range, it then will back off mid-range to recommence attack.

This is off topic, but I think the Commonwealth needs a new ship to fight Ares capital ships. Right now, the Commonwealth are more like sitting ducks equipped with BB guns.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Kourtious wrote:
The problem is that Phobos hunting missions are solely reliant on the player to deal actual damage, because Commonwealth ships are either on par or weaker than Ares Warships. For example, if a Tev 9/Katana modified Centurian fights a Tundra, then the result obviously favors a Tundra. The same is for a CSC + Strike Crafts vs a single Phobos. It is unfortunate to say this, but the bad guys are stronger.
A well piloted Centurion could actually beat a Tundra due to better maneuverability. In groups, Tundras are going to win by far, but that's due to the fact that the micronuke and warhammer are overpowered at the moment.
An idea to make Commonwealth stand on par with the Ares by tweaking it's combat A.I.

: A.i. will group multiple ships into 1 squadron. The A.i. will gauge the health and combat strength of the squadron as a single unit. If the squadron is 50% damaged, then the squadron will make a retreat as a whole. On the other hand, if the squadron is winning a fight, then it shall fight to the last stand till the tables are turned.
Squadron AI is indeed a good idea. Retreating is also something I'd like to see. On the original topic, it would be nice to see hostiles start to flee a system if highly outmatched. For example, if a Centauri outpost just got destroyed in a single howitzer shot, its escorts should run away rather than attempt to fight the obviously highly superior enemy.
Centurian Squadrons:
-Attack in flanking position on both sides of the targeted segment at close range. Damaged Centurians retreat to mid-range.
This would work well for gunship engagements. For capital ships, the turrets would destroy them regardless at close range. In capital ship engagements, they should dart in and out of the range of their Tev9s, firing when possible, and staying away from the front of their enemy. They should retreat at 50% shield to minimize damage.

The Centurion's greatest assets are its range and shielding, and the current AI, sadly, does not know how to use either effectively.
Britannia Squadrons:
-Attack in 2 parallel lines at the targeted segment. Once launched its barrage of missiles/Katana attacks at mid-range, it then will back off mid-range to recommence attack.
Again, good for pitched battles between gunships, but would fare poorly against capitals.

Against capitals, the optimal strategy is to space out, bombard the target while staying away from its front, and, once an armor segment is heavily damaged, close in on that segment while firing missiles. Britannias can completely outrange the turrets of Ares capital ships, and that's a powerful thing. If the KSC were given a bit of a buff, they could reliably use this AI against Phoboses, even without support from the player.
This is off topic, but I think the Commonwealth needs a new ship to fight Ares capital ships. Right now, the Commonwealth are more like sitting ducks equipped with BB guns.
Their firerate restrictions are indeed fairly bad, and I do believe that the Fleet is getting a few new ships soon, but it is indeed possible to fight a capship effectively with gunships. The Commonwealth's ships are very defensively and tactically oriented rather than focused around brute force like the Ares, and the AI doesn't know how to use that sort of ship.