Grouped shot placements for alternating weapons.

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

This is a really bad thread title, sorry. What I'd like as a feature that'd make weapon modding a tiny bit more flexible is to allow the grouping of individual shots within an alternating fire config.

Currently, if a weapon has the alternating attribute and custom placement of the shot (posangle/radius and angle/radius of the projectile when fired), it fires one shot at a time using the provided placements, alternating through them in the order that they appear in the code. This works very well, but it doesn't allow any other form of alternating fire.

It would be nice to have the option to use a <Group> to bind several weapon shots together, and then have the weapon alternate between groups when fired. Obviously, the old method should probably still work so as not to break compatibility with older mods.

So instead of Shot1, Shot2, Shot3 and shot4 firing in order (before cycling back to Shot 1) you could have Shot1 & Shot 2 fire at the same time by combining them in a group, then Shot 3 and Shot 4 fire together (also in a group), before the weapon alternates back to the first group.

Edit: I added a bit more onto this in my next post, below AP's first reply.
Last edited by Song on Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I remember having asked someone on IRC if this was possible way back when I was still a rank novice at modding, and I wish I had thought to post over here about this back then. I definitely second this notion.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

As an add-on to this, it'd be nice if we could set a repeating weapon to repeat within or between groups (so in an example of a 2-group weapon with a 3-round burst, you'd be able to choose whether to repeat group A 3 times in a burst, then go to group B for the next burst, or repeat as Group A, then Group B, then Group A again in a single burst)
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Shrike wrote:As an add-on to this, it'd be nice if we could set a repeating weapon to repeat within or between groups (so in an example of a 2-group weapon with a 3-round burst, you'd be able to choose whether to repeat group A 3 times in a burst, then go to group B for the next burst, or repeat as Group A, then Group B, then Group A again in a single burst)
I like this idea. It could be implemented as a list(or whatever the equivalent class is) of shots(including their offset point, direction, and projectile) that cycles through whenever it fires.