Convenience features

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Ihlosi
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

• Indicate whether or not a system map rom was used in the system. I occasionally find myself wasting them on already-mapped systems.
  • Show information about discovered stations in visited systems on the galactic map. This would make it easier to find the nearest tinker/corporate trade post/etc.
  • Allow the player to add notes to discovered systems, e.g. "All the loot is stashed in the penitent shrine."
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Ihlosi wrote:
  • Indicate whether or not a system map rom was used in the system. I occasionally find myself wasting them on already-mapped systems.
  • Show information about discovered stations in visited systems on the galactic map. This would make it easier to find the nearest tinker/corporate trade post/etc.
  • Allow the player to add notes to discovered systems, e.g. "All the loot is stashed in the penitent shrine."
The first feature isn't needed. If a system has many mapped stations, it's likely you used the ROM.

The second and third already exist in a mod called Captain's Log. It's on Xelerus, if you'd like to download it.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Ahem. Just because something is in a mod does not mean it cannot be suggested as a vanilla feature. This is one of the most annoying responses you can give to a feature request, and probably the least helpful. Yes, it's in a mod. Doesn't mean it might not be something that should be a part of the vanilla game. Especially since one of the main reasons for modding is to fix perceived problems with the game.

Anyway. In terms of #1.....this could be done by tracking whether a system map has been used in each system, and setting it to "true" when the ROM is used (likewise with the military map ROM, but seperate). Then changing the ROMs so that they check for this before activating. If a map ROM has been used in the system before, then the ROM displays a "you've already used this" error and is not consumed.

In terms of the second and third things....this is difficult to do without using clunky dockscreens. In the long-long term (Ie: when/if we have mouse support) it would be good to be able to select a node on the galactic map and see that system's map, or a list of active/destroyed stations. It's a relatively low priority thing probably, but would be a very useful vanilla feature. In terms of notes.....eh, the way the log does it is alright, but a streamlined system would be nice. Personally I use a piece of paper or just stash stuff in memorable places. Being able to click on the map and leave a marker (and have several sets of them) would be awesome...but the game isn't set up for that, so it would be a long, long term thing most likely.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Anyway. In terms of #1.....this could be done by tracking whether a system map has been used in each system, and setting it to "true" when the ROM is used (likewise with the military map ROM, but seperate). Then changing the ROMs so that they check for this before activating. If a map ROM has been used in the system before, then the ROM displays a "you've already used this" error and is not consumed.
Now that you explain it, that could be interesting. Perhaps create a ROM that introduces this functionality?

Transcendence has its roots as a roguelike, and not letting players do things like accidentally waste map ROMs or apply radioactive waste to their armor might take away some of the fun. In addition, this may have changed, but don't map ROMs use an RNG to determine which stations they uncover?
Yes, it's in a mod. Doesn't mean it might not be something that should be a part of the vanilla game. Especially since one of the main reasons for modding is to fix perceived problems with the game.
That's always confused me. Is there a thread where we can suggest adding mods to the vanilla game? I know that visible damage was implemented, and there are a few mods that resolve glitches like navigation at the Arena that would make sense to add as well.

As for the suggestion itself, captain's log is a bit complex, and might overwhelm new players. I would be in favor of adding a ROM that, once used, shows icons on the galactic map next to systems that indicate whether they have something that can:

A) Refuel your current reactor

or

B) Repair your easiest to repair armor segment

It would add variety to the ROMs that exist and implement the feature elegantly.
Ihlosi
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

JohnBWatson wrote:The first feature isn't needed. If a system has many mapped stations, it's likely you used the ROM.
I usually start exploring the systems, even if I don't have a map ROM yet. Once I've acquired the map ROMs, I like to backtrack and see if I missed anything (which easily happens in the more chaotic systems).
The second and third already exist in a mod called Captain's Log. It's on Xelerus, if you'd like to download it.
I'll have a look.
Ihlosi
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

JohnBWatson wrote:In addition, this may have changed, but don't map ROMs use an RNG to determine which stations they uncover?
As far as I have seen, regular map roms uncover all friendly stations and a percentage of the enemy stations (which drops the farther you proceed).
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Ihlosi wrote:
JohnBWatson wrote:In addition, this may have changed, but don't map ROMs use an RNG to determine which stations they uncover?
As far as I have seen, regular map roms uncover all friendly stations and a percentage of the enemy stations (which drops the farther you proceed).

That may be the case. Anyways, I just remembered an item that suits your needs perfectly.

The Explorer auton will go through your system and check whether you've missed any stations, in addition to moving in their direction. You can find it by doing a mission for a professor at St. Katherine's Star.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

JohnBWatson wrote:
Ihlosi wrote:

That may be the case. Anyways, I just remembered an item that suits your needs perfectly.

The Explorer auton will go through your system and check whether you've missed any stations, in addition to moving in their direction. You can find it by doing a mission for a professor at St. Katherine's Star.
Downside being that it's rare, expensive, incapable of defending itself and very prone to being EMP'd/Ventari'd. Still a useful tool though.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Downside being that it's rare, expensive, incapable of defending itself and very prone to being EMP'd/Ventari'd. Still a useful tool though.
Indeed. The safest(albeit slow) way to use it is to release it, see how it moves, and then continue on that path while it waits.