Colorblind mode?

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Ihlosi
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Would it be possible to make the HUD and radar dot colors configurable, to make the game more accessible to people with a color vision deficiency? I'm lucky to have normal color vision, but some of my relatives are affected by color vision deficiency, so I know about their problems. (Statistically, about 10% of the male population have some sort color vision deficiency).

E.g. the game might offer green, light blue and dark blue for friendlies, and red, yellow and purple for enemies. This allows different combinations of hue and brightness,
Ferdinand
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Being colorblind myself (red/green) I can only say that this is a very good idea.
For me it is very hard to distinguish the red dots from the green ones on screen. So usually i find out if something is hostile when it starts shooting at me. Does not make the game impossible to play, but just a little bit harder. If hostile factions were blue or yellow it would be very much easier for me.
Ihlosi
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Ferdinand wrote:So usually i find out if something is hostile when it starts shooting at me.
Bad if that something is armed with Ares lightning turrets ...
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Though it's likely that there's software available for switching colors around for colorblind users, a lot can and must be figured out from the movement patterns of the dots. Indeed, even for non - colorblind users, there's been requests to alter the minimap to make factions more obvious.

As a rule, a cluster of dots moving in unison is a transport, either belonging to the Ares or drug dealers. In either case, it can be killed and looted, and has relatively little armament.

A single, standing cluster of dots is likely a Charon frigate or a CSC depending on your position in the galaxy.

A single dot moving in a wide arc is likely to be a hostile capital ship.

A large group of dots moving across the screen is likely civilian traffic.

Dots moving towards the center of the minimap are enemies hunting the player down.

In addition, the Targeting ROM helps quite a bit. It's how I identify everything in the game once I have it.