New katana star effect

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
pixelfck
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Am I the only one who kinda likes the katana star cannon effect? I always thought it looked good and gave a fair idea of what to expect when being hit by one.

I like the weapon effect as shown in the OP, but I don't think I would like it as a replacement.

~Pixelfck
Download the Black Market Expansion from Xelerus.de today!
My other mods at xelerus.de
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

pixelfck wrote:Am I the only one who kinda likes the katana star cannon effect? I always thought it looked good and gave a fair idea of what to expect when being hit by one.

I like the weapon effect as shown in the OP, but I don't think I would like it as a replacement.

~Pixelfck
I'm pretty much of the same opinion. There's ways it could be made more flashy....but I dunno how it would actually fit the weapon.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

I'd like to see it smoothed out a bit, but making it larger and more impressive doesn't really fit the current effect.
Novak 67
Miner
Miner

JohnBWatson wrote:I'd like to see it smoothed out a bit, but making it larger and more impressive doesn't really fit the current effect.
Currently, I just want to adapt the current effect of the star cannon to the new effects that was introduced at 1.3. I think that somewhat all 1.3 or later projectiles effects is now somewhat 3x bigger, so I also want to adapt that as well to the new look.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The current star cannon effect is good enough. It is distinct from other ion cannons. The proposed effect looks like a dull blue star pasted at one end of an Ares lightning cannon shot. Not that it is bad, but it is not distinct enough.

Some older effects are still good. I sometimes prefer the old green particle beam effect over its replacement.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Novak 67
Miner
Miner

PM wrote:The current star cannon effect is good enough. It is distinct from other ion cannons. The proposed effect looks like a dull blue star pasted at one end of an Ares lightning cannon shot. Not that it is bad, but it is not distinct enough.

Some older effects are still good. I sometimes prefer the old green particle beam effect over its replacement.

There, I tried to convert the star blaster into the new ray effect, so it has a mix of the old version (the same colours of the star cannon and somewhat the look) and the new effect at the same time. How about that.
Screen Shot 2015-05-06 at 10.22.35 pm.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-06 at 10.22.35 pm.png (21.28 KiB) Viewed 4292 times
digdug
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Novak 67 wrote:
PM wrote:The current star cannon effect is good enough. It is distinct from other ion cannons. The proposed effect looks like a dull blue star pasted at one end of an Ares lightning cannon shot. Not that it is bad, but it is not distinct enough.

There, I tried to convert the star blaster into the new ray effect, so it has a mix of the old version (the same colours of the star cannon and somewhat the look) and the new effect at the same time. How about that.
That one looks great.
I have only 1 doubt about these new katana effects: is passthrough dependent on the size of the effect ? If I have a larger effect, will I land additional passthrought hits ?
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

digdug wrote:
Novak 67 wrote:

That one looks great.
I have only 1 doubt about these new katana effects: is passthrough dependent on the size of the effect ? If I have a larger effect, will I land additional passthrought hits ?
Not as far as I can tell. I made a passthrough (100%) weapon beam larger than a starfish, but it only registered hits along the center of the beam.
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."