Parallax Weapons?

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

Is it possible to make a parallax weapon/effect? One that won't interact with anything whatsoever?

I was thinking about using weapon effects like the shockwave or plasmaSpikes for purely aesthetic purposes and initiating them through temporary installment of a virtual weapon. Some of them look pretty cool and I want to re-purpose them without having to create my own in Paint.
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

It is possible to create shockwaves and other effects (that do not hit stuff) without resorting to weapons.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
catfighter
Militia Commander
Militia Commander
Location: Laughing manically amidst the wreckage of the Iocrym fleet.

Hmmm... How would I invoke such a thing and could I get a code example of how to make it non-interactive (I'm not all that fluent in t-Lisp)? I know plasmaSpikes in and of themselves don't interact with anything, but I haven't seen a code snippet I can adapt for other effects.
Behold my avatar, one of the few ships to be drawn out pixel by pixel in the dreaded... Microsoft Paint!

Day 31: "I have successfully completed my time reversal experiment! Muahahaha!!!"
Day 30: "I might have run into a little problem here."