rearrange ship configuration

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

With weapons, shields, and everything else on three different screens it's more of a pain than it needs to be to count device slots. There's enough screen real estate to fit everything -- or at least everything but the armor -- on one screen if we sacrifice the fancy arrangement. Setting the square icon blocks in rows by type would make good use of screen width.

If weapons are displayed positionally they can also appear on their own screen, but they don't appear to be for the default playerships and having them also appear on the all devices screen would make it easier to count slots.
Literally is the new Figuratively
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I would like to be able to set weapon icon location for weapon mounts of various ships (for Playership Drones) if it is possible.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Pairing armor and shields is reasonable due to how they work, and the current configuration is a lot more intuitive than what you suggest.

I could support having weapons and devices paired up, however. Keeping dedicated weapon slots in a row on the top, dedicated armor slots in a row on the bottom, and the rest in the middle, shifting to either side then occupied, would be helpful to newbies and people trying out new ships.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

JohnBWatson wrote:Pairing armor and shields is reasonable due to how they work, and the current configuration is a lot more intuitive than what you suggest.

I could support having weapons and devices paired up, however. Keeping dedicated weapon slots in a row on the top, dedicated armor slots in a row on the bottom, and the rest in the middle, shifting to either side then occupied, would be helpful to newbies and people trying out new ships.
It's important to know your total power needs, determined by adding up the standby draws of all devices, the peak draw of devices not under your control (like shields), and the highest combination of peak draws of devices under your control you expect to use at the same time. It's important to know how many slots you actually have free, determined by counting slots.

If you absolutely must see your shield and armor at the same time it can appear on both screens, but it's important that all devices appear together on one screen.
Literally is the new Figuratively
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Atarlost wrote:If you absolutely must see your shield and armor at the same time it can appear on both screens, but it's important that all devices appear together on one screen.
 I’d prefer it that way, personally. I like being able to manage all of my major defensive attributes at the same time.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
NMS
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Even if they were all on the same screen, you couldn't determine your number of free slots by counting because all the specialized slots have to be shown whether they're full or empty and there has to be an empty generic slot to install slotless devices (including side-mounted weapons). That's why it tells you how many slots you have free in the ship stats on the dock services and ship status screens.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Some armor use power too: Rasiermesser's powered armor in the standard game and derivatives in mods.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.