The new way stations sell stuff: in the dock screen

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Brzelius
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

I really dislike some of the "features" the new dock screen brought. It certainly is a great idea, but only being able to buy weapons, armor, shields and devices in the dock screen has some very annoying side effects. It's all fine for ammunition though.

I can't buy devices into my inventory for later use. Instead, I always have to install it right away, even when I'm only planning on using it five systems hence. when already using all available device slots, I have to replace an existing device, or as some stations don't replace some devices, I'll have to find a station that does remove one and then fly back and get it installed. Then, I will have to fly to the station able to change devices, and repeat the procedure. For example: I bought an unknown device at Adventurer's outfitters; I just wanted to identify it first with my analyzer. Instead, I had to deinstall my particle accelerator, fly to Adventurer's outfitters, get the unknown device installed, identified it as a lithium booster (useless to me as of yet) and then, as Adventurer's Outfitters wouldn't deinstall it, I had to find some darn station able to get rid of a level 8 device. This is very tedious and unnecessary. Why not sell this stuff in the normal item list?

Another example: Getting a dual mark III howitzer built by a tinker station. I had to first uninstall two weapons, then install two mark III howitzers, then uninstall those, then uninstall a device, then install a makayev weapon enhancer, then uninstall this one, then fly to the tinker and get the dual mark III howitzer built, then install this one and the weapons I wanted to go with it. Extremely convoluted process... why not an option to buy stuff without installing it right away?
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Press "S" to display dock service items in the commodities screen.

It says so to the side, but it isn't really conspicuous.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
gunship256
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

Xephyr wrote:Press "S" to display dock service items in the commodities screen.

It says so to the side, but it isn't really conspicuous.
It would still be nice to be able to uninstall items. For example, if I want to buy a high-level device at Adventurer Outfitters but don't have a slot open, the station says I can't install the device. If I then fly somewhere to get a device uninstalled, I still can't install it at Adventurer Outfitters unless the installation happens at the same time as a purchase. The device may be too high level to install at most other stations. The result is that I have to hang onto the device until I find a Black Market shipyard.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Some places, like Commonwealth Fortresses, do not even offer a commodities screen, meaning you can only buy items by upgrading your ship in dock services. Very annoying because I lose money when I buy items from fortresses (55% or so market price at max rank) for the sole purpose of reselling them at the Black Market for a profit.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
gunship256
Militia Commander
Militia Commander

PM wrote:Some places, like Commonwealth Fortresses, do not even offer a commodities screen, meaning you can only buy items by upgrading your ship in dock services. Very annoying because I lose money when I buy items from fortresses (55% or so market price at max rank) for the sole purpose of reselling them at the Black Market for a profit.
It's the way I prefer to make money in midgame, and I thought George had taken it away purposefully. It's still worth doing with reactors, though, since CW stations will buy any reactors for 90% of what they're worth.
Brzelius
Commonwealth Pilot
Commonwealth Pilot

Thanks, that solves that problem. Just didn't see the hint in smaller font...