Rin/currency display

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I always find it frustrating trying to remember how many rin I have when not docked at a rin using station. My suggestion is to have the "Credits:" display on the dockscreens scroll through the currency balances when you click on it. It would start on Credits and after you dock at a rin using station then you could then click on the "Credits:" display and have the Rin balance come up. Another click to go back to the Credits balance or on to any other currency you have, etc, etc.

Either that or a dropdown display that shows all currencies when you put the mouse over the "Credits:" display or click on it.

I haven't seen a mod do that does this and I think (and could very well be wrong) it needs to be done in the core code.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

It would be nice to open a dockscreen to show balance of all currencies. It is not too hard to implement.

Now that you mention it, I can adapt my money cheat from Godmode and make a mod to add this feature.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
NMS
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Or you could just press F2...
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hmm. As a concept, it might be worth investigating having a separate player inventory on the ship screen that stores (and allows for tracking of) the following:

-All money in any currencies that are currently in the possession of the player (IE: Only track money types we've got)
-ID ROMs
-Possibly enhancement ROMs fitted to the ship?
-Small quest items (eg. Thioseptal)
-Active microsaurs (sorry) [/notactuallysorry]
-Anything super-small that doesn't belong in the cargo hold.

Then make that be a zero-mass storage space that basically models having a bunch of boxes around your cabin.

But I definitely agree that it'd be cool to manage currency viewing a bit better...but it might be a good opportunity to handle some other things at the same time.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Actually, that would be more of a on-the-player's-person inventory. Except the microsaur, which depending on how they're interpreted might be walking beside the player like an obedient dog.

An ID should fit in your wallet. So should currency chips. Other stuff of similar mass can be hidden by a slave in a coffin. Stuff like that should just fit in your pockets or purse.

The difference being that a bunch of boxes in your cabin could include stuff like cases of luxury items that aren't of negligible mass and wouldn't automatically come with you if you switch ships.
Literally is the new Figuratively
pixelfck
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

while we are on the topic of organizing the stuff laying around in your cargohold: I always think that the ammo for my currently equipped weapon/launcher not be in my cargohold, but in some magazine/loading tray instead.

Right now, we have the situation where one might expect messages like: "Your NAMI Launcher malfunctioned because a microsaur was inadvertently shoved into the missile tube."

~Pixelfck
Download the Black Market Expansion from Xelerus.de today!
My other mods at xelerus.de
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

NMS wrote:Or you could just press F2...
...That ...works!
pixelfck wrote:while we are on the topic of organizing the stuff laying around in your cargohold: I always think that the ammo for my currently equipped weapon/launcher not be in my cargohold, but in some magazine/loading tray instead.
I frequently dump ammo and/or ID cards (by accident) along with everything else when managing items. Occasionally, I try to fire my launcher only to realize I stashed ammo (and possibly the ID too) at a safe place with the rest of my loot.

Placing ammo at a separate stash apart from cargo would be nice. As for ID, they should be abstract powers, like targeting program or Nethack's intrinsics.
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!

Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

PM wrote:As for ID, they should be abstract powers, like targeting program or Nethack's intrinsics.
You don't want them to be like the targeting program. That's stored on the ship not the player and you really don't want to lose your ID when you change ships.
Literally is the new Figuratively
pixelfck
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

right now, gPlayer and gPlayerShip are kinda blurred. If I remember correctly, the player skill on repairing armor is stored on gPlayerShip, to name just an instance.

It would be nice if they became more distinct. (storing rin and credits on the player instead of in the players ship for instance).

~Pixelfck
Download the Black Market Expansion from Xelerus.de today!
My other mods at xelerus.de
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Indeed, ship changing makes attaching powers to a ship inappropriate if the power persists on the pilot and not on the ship.

My point about ID is it should be abstract, an intrinsic part of the character, like in Nethack. I frequently dump ID by accident (then promptly backtrack when I realize I do not have it anymore). ID could even be a global accomplishment instead (as long as only one playership needs ID).

JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Could probably have ID cards be usable, with the use function be 'pocket' which removes them from the cargo hold and adds them to the player's personal inventory. Add a dockscreen to access the personal inventory, a check to ensure that the player only carries 1 ID of a kind at a time in the personal inventory, and a key to send an item in personal inventory back to the cargo hold, and everything's pretty much handled. Adding items to the player permanently would make sellable IDs and the like unnecessarily complex. Have any ID card checks also check personal inventory.

As for ammo, it's reasonable to give an option to show/hide ammunition for currently installed weapons.

For the thioseptal, just stop considering it a medical item. The Fleet has no use for it, given that its only use is to activate a Huari symbiote, and nobody else has any reason to buy it.

Also, in - universe, how do IDs work? The Militia and Fleet treat me as the same rank with a found ID card as with one they gave me, so they apparently don't store name or rank. If they have a database of all of their officers, why not use that at their bases and confiscate any IDs found in the hands of non - members?
Last edited by JohnBWatson on Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
relanat
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Thanks NMS. Helpful to know.
I might have a go at putting a rin balance at the bottom of the dockscreens (like the small PgUp/PgDn text). Not very elegant but functional.
Stupid code. Do what I want, not what I typed in!