Rework disintegration into a nano perk

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Disintegration is currently hardcoded as an instakill effect that's only useful on one gun. The blue effect makes it literally useless for anything else (it's ugly), and the lack of immunities make a lot of armor useless to no-shield runs. It also makes no sense as an antimatter perk. Finally....it's instakill. And instakill is really, really hard to balance. It's also redundant since for real instakill you can just use Shatter.

What I'd suggest is the following:

1. Remove the current disintegration system entirely. It's not fun, it's hard to balance, and it's not particularly useful. Unless you've got a few dozen identical blue weapons that use it in Part II, that is.....but I still think this is a bad mechanic that needs to be retired.

2. Add a replacement system, tied to the nano damage type.Nanites degrading things into their base molecules makes sense for a special status effect. And this wouldn't be a blue flash of death. Instead, it would be damage over time to the affected segments. This would be a stackable effect: getting hit a lot would increase your problems up to a certain amount. Use the 1-7 scaling system so you can control how long the effect lasts (or how much damage it does?). So in effect, it's a combination of the radiation and organic acid effects. If an armor segment is destroyed by the status effect itself, disintegration would either kill you with a nice dissolve effect that isn't blue (so that weapon colours aren't restricted), or leave you on 0hp on the affected armor (and end the status effect). Thus, it's a terrible thing for a no-shields ship....but it's not that terrible. It should also work on stations and wrecks, destroying them exceptionally quickly by draining HP.

3. Add counters in the form of regen barrels, solvents, and other items. Because having counters to DoT status effects when they're introduced is not something this game has been good at in the past. And it's important to have a counter, particularly as this would be a very rapid, high damage effect. High-mass armors could be resistant to disintegration (chance to avoid + slower HP drain if you do get it with no change to duration), and the existing immunities would still be very valuable for preventing it......but armors that have no resistance (or a vulnerability) wouldn't be instakilled regardless of HP.

4. Remove the Iocrym Disintegrator, and replace it with a new weapon with a similar name and brand new non-blue effect that uses nano damage and the new disintegration.

5. Rework the Gaian Demolition Cannon to also use nano damage (current damage level is fine because it's terrible. THe DoT effect would make it very dangerous, but hard to use) with the disintegration effect. Remove that nonsense on the description about mysterious energy sources, and have it be recharged through the use of a barrel of degenerative nanos. Add these barrels as an assured drop in Gaian dustbins. Thus, the gun actually makes sense for the first time ever. #SavetheGDC

This would add the nano damage type to Part I, give us a nice introduction to it, and also rework a status effect that's been troublesome for many, many years. The Q-sphere is iconic.....but it's not worth wasting a good status effect over. There's a lot more that can be done with disintegration. Rather than an instakill that messes with game balance (and makes no sense since that makes two instakill specials), let's have it be a top-level equivalent to radiation, with possibile utility in Part II as a low-level hazard as well. :)
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Yes. Please. Instant kill effects — particularly ones that have a one-hundred-percent chance of working unless very specific circumstances are involved (such as having one of, like, three armor types in the game that are immune to it) — are pretty much universally reviled by gamers. This rework would not make the weapon a weak weapon, but it would definitely stop it from being the instant u-lose-lol it currently is.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Shrike wrote:The Q-sphere is iconic...
But it's iconic of one of the odd numbered Star Treks. One so bad they redid the uniforms for WoK which was already suffering budget issues because the Motionless Picture had bombed so badly.

Most people aren't going to get the reference anymore because everyone now knows that odd numbered Trek films aren't worth watching except Search for Spock, which is not nearly as bad as the others and acts as a bridge between the unparalleled Wrath of Khan and Search for Spock. And anyone who does recognize it will be reminded of the time they spent two and a half hours watching a camera slowly pan lovingly over a model a lot more interesting than the Dread Gazebo.
Literally is the new Figuratively
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Qsphere is an instakill? :O
thanks for the info! I have never ever died coz of Qspheres. They are so easily overcome. There is a way to balance the Qspheres. I agree that nanos should be the way to go in fighting the disintegration. What i understood of disintegration before this thread was that 'it was so hot that it made the ship's constituent material break up to atoms' and hence the disintegration. There is no point in giving the GDC that bluff. Let em be with those thermo weapon. Or maybe give em a plasma weapon! A plasma slam cannon aha! Maybe Qsphere can be 'terrible shield damage (for level) and 25% chance to instakill upon impact on hull and 75% chance to slowly eat the armour (as Shrike said) till death'. Or maybe do what it is done to the APA in the new weapons. Add particle effect. So if 75% or more of the Qsphere hits you, you are dead meat. If less, then you got your armour being eaten slowly for sometime, maybe till your shields get back on.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

In any case, a main weapon that is useless against shields and has no support isn't particularly well balanced. While I'm opposed to making the game much easier, I do agree that 'gotchas' are not the way to maintain difficulty, so a weapon that's only useful against an unsuspecting player with a startlingly unlikely endgame setup precisely once is definitely not desirable, nor is an effect that effectively becomes obsolete before it's even introduced.

Thus, here is my suggestion:

- Make disintegrate immunity less common, so that it actually has a chance of effecting a player who knows it exists. Possibly limit it to Neutronium for the current array of armors.

- Rather than being an instant kill, Disintegrate should deal rapid DOT equal to half of the remaining HP of any armor that it hits(non - stacking, obviously). This would make it about as harmful as any other effect while retaining its uniqueness and not seeming 'cheap'. The old effect could be used for when a disintegrate weapon's raw damage depletes a ship's armor or hits the internal HP of a capital ship.

- The Q - sphere must be supported by other weapons fire capable of dealing anti - shield damage, or have its own shield damage severely increased.
giantcabbage
Militia Lieutenant
Militia Lieutenant

Shrike wrote:Disintegration is currently hardcoded as an instakill effect that's only useful on one gun. The blue effect makes it literally useless for anything else (it's ugly), and the lack of immunities make a lot of armor useless to no-shield runs. It also makes no sense as an antimatter perk. Finally....it's instakill. And instakill is really, really hard to balance. It's also redundant since for real instakill you can just use Shatter.
Disintegration/shatter does make sense as an antimatter effect - there will be annihilation when it meets something made of matter, so anything without shields would be in serious trouble. However, there are other damage modifiers available now which could be better the current all-or-nothing disintegrate.

How about, give the Q-sphere (and other antimatter weapons):
High damage against unshielded targets. Either give them high armor penetration and internal damage (maybe better than WMD:7), or increase the base damage while making them weak against shields.
A decreased chance of leaving wrecks. This could be mass dependent like shatter and use the same visual effect (although the Q-sphere could retain a unique visual effect)
This would also make antimatter weapons a bit more interesting than just "energy weapon level 5"

I agree that a degenerating effect associated with nano weapons would be good, but it should not be an exceptionally quick effect. Something that very quickly reduces armor to 0hp unless you've memorized the keystrokes to apply the counter-agent is little better than an instant kill effect. The player needs time to both realize that they've been hit with a special effect and to try various counter agents.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Much as I dislike "Gotcha" surprises in Roguelikes, they are classic, and part of Nethack which Transcendence takes inspiration from. (That said, Transcendence feels much closer to Diablo than Nethack.)

EDIT:
One-hit kills do put the fear or dread in players, even if hated.

If you want disintegration (and shatter for that matter) be more merciful, make the target disintegrate on death instead of any unprotected hit.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Sigh. The ICS is already a challange for the casual gamer. Why make it more of one? The Qsphere is an unbalanced weapon, deadly to new gamers. Why not balance it such that it is still a challange, but a less severe one? I agree that disintegration is not supposed to be an antimatter effect. Heck, the Sung contain antimatter IN matter (wth?), how is that supposed to be possible? The antimatter weapons must be more of armour killers, and not a bit of shield busters. Plasma is supposed to be the shield + armour balanced damager (because of the nature of plasma). Heck, I dont understand whether the Iocrym were brainless bastards or they really wanted us to beat the ICS. A guy killed the ICS with a pentient cannon! Lol. I think Qsphere must not be a tracking shell, but a straight firing missile. It should also be really fast, fast like a particle beam weapon. Then it would be great! And it should not be a shield buster, but armour killer, with chances to disintegrate and OHKO the pilgrim!! Maybe fast firing like those Gotha missiles, but with an overheat counter.
sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

Well, any antimatter containers could only be viably built from matter. It would then presumably utilize some form of electromagnetic field or perhaps tractor beams of some kind to hold antimatter inside it. What else would you use build an antimatter container, if not matter? Containing antimatter in antimatter seems rather pointless.

The Quantum Spheres wouldn't really benefit much from becoming armor killer, if it is to retain disintegration, chance-dependent or not. Personally I do not mind the ICS having the surprise of insta-kill. It rather piqued my interest when I was first disintegrated.

Another addition to the ICS I would like to propose is some kind of anti-shield attack, to go with the QSphere. Perhaps a device that makes the player's shield regenerate slower, or cannot recover from a collapse. Or maybe just a terrifying weapon that eats through any shield, but does no damage to armor.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Disintegration being an antimatter special effect as it is now is fine. I do not see any good reason why nano should get it instead of antimatter, since both damage types are on the same tier.

As for being unfair, this is the final boss of part 1, and immunity or reliable defenses can be obtained one way or another. There are other classic games that insta-kill you if you do not have the necessary items.
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!

sun1404
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I agree. Disintegration isn't so out of place with antimatter for a game like Trans. And as for balance, I think insta-kill have a place in any game, especially a rogue like. And where better than from the final boss?

In any case, insta-kill isn't that unbalanced. For one, it only works when your shield is down, while there's the APA which does instantly kill anything without armors higher than level 6 and a good shield. I believe even level 9 or 10 armors can be insta-killed by an APA shot. In fact, the Phobos is even more unfair to new players than the ICS. Letting the big boss have one impressive weapon won't hurt.
Yes, look at my avatar, I have a wyvera type ship.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

My preference is that disintegration be dropped as a mechanic, but barring that it should absolutely be moved away from antimatter.

Antimatter is pretty much antimatter. If antimatter disintegrates things then all antimatter and positron weapons would disintegrate. Since we cannot have the Ares Positron Cannon, Ringer Positron Lancer, Qianlong Archcannon, and Lamplighter Archcannon disintegrate neither may any other antimatter or positron weapons. Nano and Dark Acid are the only reasonable types for it, but dark acid is used by the penitents and at least the high volume blastwave should disintegrate if dark acid disintegrates. The Penitents could be moved to another damage type if dark acid is to be a late game disintegration type I suppose.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Given how Transcendence is inconsistent with various damage types, not all antimatter needs to disintegrate.

I suspect nano will simply be a reskinned kinetic or blast damage type, maybe with some special effect limited to some weapons.

P.S. If all antimatter (and positron) should disintegrate, then they all should have high (or no) WMD. Positron weapons have no WMD, antimatter has high to max WMD. So far, Transcendence treats positron like a reskinned yellow particle beam weapon, much like a sword +3 instead of a sword +1.

Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Everything about WMD is nonsense. That doesn't excuse putting disintegration on antimatter using the excuse that because antimatter makes big explosions it should also do magic disintegration effects.

It's not like putting it on nano is part of the conspiracy to get rid of it. Nano is of the same tier as antimatter.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

All the more reason to leave it as it is.

I have no problem with antimatter's "magic disintegration effects".