Internals Discussion (Split from balance suggestion thread)

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Things were getting away from the balance issues that the balance thread was really intended for, and onto a more detailed discussion of internal HP and compartments. I've moved all the relevant posts here without editing them (except this one obviously), if it feels a bit odd, that's why. -End Comment
Atarlost wrote:
TheLoneWolf wrote:Thanks guys! Now i actually know whats going on. Maybe we should configure ion weapons to be powerful against shields and compartments.
Making them stronger against shields would make one of the omnithor devices redundant, but the suggestion to increase the WMD on the EI ion blasters is to make them more powerful against compartments.
Compartments in general are a bit of a tricky one...it's a problem that George definitely know about, but it's not one that's going to be easy to fix.

I think I'll see about porting those guidelines over to a forum guide. It's been a while since I tried it and it's a difficult set of things to work with.....but it'll be useful!
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
PM
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Shrike wrote:I think I'll see about porting those guidelines over to a forum guide. It's been a while since I tried it and it's a difficult set of things to work with.....but it'll be useful!
That would be good. All I have to go on for balancing weapons is whatever I reverse-engineer from the xmls.
Download and Play in 1.9 beta 1...
Drake Technologies (Alpha): More hardware for combat in parts 1 and 2!
Star Castle Arcade: Play a classic arcade game adventure, with or without more features (like powerups)!
Playership Drones: Buy or restore exotic ships to command!

Other playable mods from 1.8 and 1.7, waiting to be updated...
Godmode v3 (WIP): Dev/cheat tool compatible with D&O parts 1 or 2.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Shrike wrote:
Atarlost wrote:
TheLoneWolf wrote:Thanks guys! Now i actually know whats going on. Maybe we should configure ion weapons to be powerful against shields and compartments.
Making them stronger against shields would make one of the omnithor devices redundant, but the suggestion to increase the WMD on the EI ion blasters is to make them more powerful against compartments.
Compartments in general are a bit of a tricky one...it's a problem that George definitely know about, but it's not one that's going to be easy to fix.

I think I'll see about porting those guidelines over to a forum guide. It's been a while since I tried it and it's a difficult set of things to work with.....but it'll be useful!
Some of the guidelines aren't very useful. The adjustments for particles and spread only make sense for those spreads for example. I did some extensions at one point, but I seem to type in tongues when deep in a project and I'm not entirely sure what my notes are saying.
Literally is the new Figuratively
TheLoneWolf
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

It would be very wise to know the nature of the compartments, if we dont know now. Do they behave as the armour they lie underneath? Or are they independent of the influence of the armour?
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Compartments gain certain resistances from armor (eg. EMP immunity), but damage done is purely down to WMD rating.

Anyway, we're getting a bit off-topic. Let's keep this as a suggestions thread. If there's other chatter, set up a thread in Commonwealth for it. :)
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

…That’s actually a decent balance suggestion in and of itself, though. If a particular segment of armor has been dropped to zero, it shouldn’t offer its benefits — EMP resistance, particle/ion reflection, radiation proofing, etc. — to the ship anymore and leave it vulnerable to status effects. There would need to be some safeguards in place for, say, taking down one segment on the ICS, tapping it with a Reaper, and wandering off to let it die of radiation poisoning, of course, but that could probably be addressed by giving radiation, EMP, and the like the same sort of gradation that WMD already has.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

AssumedPseudonym wrote: …That’s actually a decent balance suggestion in and of itself, though. If a particular segment of armor has been dropped to zero, it shouldn’t offer its benefits — EMP resistance, particle/ion reflection, radiation proofing, etc. — to the ship anymore and leave it vulnerable to status effects. There would need to be some safeguards in place for, say, taking down one segment on the ICS, tapping it with a Reaper, and wandering off to let it die of radiation poisoning, of course, but that could probably be addressed by giving radiation, EMP, and the like the same sort of gradation that WMD already has.
I have, in fact, made this suggestion before. Not as detailed as that though. As George commented there (and as you've said), it's a complicated thing to implement without overpowering or underpowering it, and it's gonna need a very hollistic approach.

Other balance stuff from today was the Hauri missions, which as was shown quite clearly on the devstream today, have some issues with balance when earth slavers turn up. So since we seem to have run out of bad guns (for now), let's take a look at that sort of thing. I've made a few suggestions on how to deal with it on this ticket here, and I'd previously made a ticket about Hauramarca here. Comments on the ideas there, and on other missions that have lost their balance over time would be very useful. :)
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

When it comes to things like this, the best way to solve them is to just think logically about what would happen. If a reaper hits a ship that's been up-armored against radiation weaponry and the armor fails, it should certainly be irradiated. If the ship's got military grade systems that are hardened against radiation, then it shouldn't, even if it's armored with nothing but titanium barricades.

Thus, it makes sense for ships to have 'innate immunities' that they always have, in addition to armor - based resistances and immunities. Thus, a Charon frigate that found a way to nail Iocrym plate to its hull would be just as rad - vulnerable as ever once the armor falls, but a Phobos outfitted with light titanium would always be immune to radiation regardless due to its systems being hardened against it. Could likely be done similarly to how armor works, with reactor level replacing armor level.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Something of an odd thought for making internal compartments less ridiculously overpowered: Remove the WMD requirement to effectively damage them. There would have to be rebalancing across the board, yes, but that’s going to happen no matter how internals are eventually dealt with.

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

AssumedPseudonym wrote: Something of an odd thought for making internal compartments less ridiculously overpowered: Remove the WMD requirement to effectively damage them. There would have to be rebalancing across the board, yes, but that’s going to happen no matter how internals are eventually dealt with.
A capital ship should not be plinked to death by a laser beam as easily as a fighter. Of course, it should also not take 25 howitzer hits to destroy its unarmored interior either.

My suggestion, in its most concise form:

- Merge internal HP systems: Internal HP should be possible to deplete entirely, but the ability to kill critical armor segments and the chance to kill a ship with a WMD hit to a noncritical should return. This is both more realistic and more fun.
- Nerf internal HP overall: Reduction by a factor of 2 should suffice for any given ship.
- Make armor relevent in defending capital ships: A multiplier from 0.5 for WMD 0 to 1.5 for WMD 7 should be applied to all shots hitting a capital ship's armor. Serves to make WMD truly useful in addition to making fighting capital ships a bit different from fighting noncapitals.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

JohnBWatson wrote:A capital ship should not be plinked to death by a laser beam as easily as a fighter.
 They already aren’t. You can plink them to death, but it takes a really… long… time. They also have a tendency to shoot back at you and move around, which generally makes it harder to actually focus on that one armor segment you were trying to focus on. Kiting doesn’t count, since if you’re actually doing a mission, you generally don’t have that option. Given that most weapons that have WMD tend to already do a lot more damage than those that don’t, I don’t think removing the WMD requirement is worst way to go about it.
 Besides, even most capital ships should be easier to take down than an armed and armored station; currently, that’s rarely the case. Further buffing a capital ship by requiring WMD on its armor just because it’s a bigger ship than a gunship is not going to fix that, especially since capital ships have both armor and internal HP to carve through instead of just a single HP pool like stations have. Also, giving armor different rules for capital ships as opposed to gunships, on top of the different rules imposed on capital ships already in the form of internal HP, is only going to frustrate players — “Whaddya mean, this piece of armor that took me five minutes to drill through with a dual TeV9 isn’t going to last me fifteen seconds against a Mark I howitzer!?”

JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

They already aren’t. You can plink them to death, but it takes a really… long… time. They also have a tendency to shoot back at you and move around, which generally makes it harder to actually focus on that one armor segment you were trying to focus on.
Right now the system allows us to destroy capship armor as easily as ever with weapons that really shouldn't be able to rip through massive armor plating that easily, then hits us with a few hundred bonus hitpoints that are nigh - immune to powerful, slow firing non - wmd weaponry but can be torn through with fast weaponry through scratch damage that rounds up to 1 per hit about as fast as with a WMD weapon. That basically serves to make slow firing non - WMD weaponry useless, being worse against gunships than omni - weaponry and being worse against everything else than every other kind of weapon, while making weapons that do small, rapidly inflicted amounts of damage overpowered.
Kiting doesn’t count, since if you’re actually doing a mission, you generally don’t have that option.
That's how I've killed most mission - generated Phobii.

Besides, even most capital ships should be easier to take down than an armed and armored station; currently, that’s rarely the case
That is because stations are currently trivial to destroy mid to late game. They face the same scratch damage issue as everything else(A lancer will kill them like it's the Death Star's main weapon), cannot move, and can be killed from a distance with no retaliation.
Further buffing a capital ship by requiring WMD on its armor just because it’s a bigger ship than a gunship is not going to fix that, especially since capital ships have both armor and internal HP to carve through instead of just a single HP pool like stations have.

That is why I recommended nerfing internal HP severely(reread the rules I wrote there and tell me that wouldn't make destroying internal HP a lot more pleasant). A ship's defense should come from its armor. Having WMD weapons not be especially good against capital ships is very counterintuitive and leaves no reason not to just stick to a single omni - weapon against everything but stations once the kiting problem is fixed.
Also, giving armor different rules for capital ships as opposed to gunships, on top of the different rules imposed on capital ships already in the form of internal HP, is only going to frustrate players — “Whaddya mean, this piece of armor that took me five minutes to drill through with a dual TeV9 isn’t going to last me fifteen seconds against a Mark I howitzer!?”
A 50% penalty is not drastic, and it can be explained as Capital ships just having more of their armor. A few scattered shots from a Tev9 isn't going to be as harmful when they're spread out across an utterly massive armor segment, but a shot from a howitzer or missile explosion is likely to get a much more solid hit. It's really quite intuitive.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

JohnBWatson wrote:
They already aren’t. You can plink them to death, but it takes a really… long… time. They also have a tendency to shoot back at you and move around, which generally makes it harder to actually focus on that one armor segment you were trying to focus on.
Right now the system allows us to destroy capship armor as easily as ever with weapons that really shouldn't be able to rip through massive armor plating that easily, then hits us with a few hundred bonus hitpoints that are nigh - immune to powerful, slow firing non - wmd weaponry but can be torn through with fast weaponry through scratch damage that rounds up to 1 per hit about as fast as with a WMD weapon. That basically serves to make slow firing non - WMD weaponry useless, being worse against gunships than omni - weaponry and being worse against everything else than every other kind of weapon, while making weapons that do small, rapidly inflicted amounts of damage overpowered.
 I’ll get to this further down.
JohnBWatson wrote:
Kiting doesn’t count, since if you’re actually doing a mission, you generally don’t have that option.
That's how I've killed most mission - generated Phobii.
 Key word there is “generally.” Exceptions exist, and likely always will.
JohnBWatson wrote:
Besides, even most capital ships should be easier to take down than an armed and armored station; currently, that’s rarely the case.
That is because stations are currently trivial to destroy mid to late game. They face the same scratch damage issue as everything else(A lancer will kill them like it's the Death Star's main weapon), cannot move, and can be killed from a distance with no retaliation.
 Then that’s a separate balance issue altogether that doesn’t need addressed here in the internals thread.
JohnBWatson wrote:
Further buffing a capital ship by requiring WMD on its armor just because it’s a bigger ship than a gunship is not going to fix that, especially since capital ships have both armor and internal HP to carve through instead of just a single HP pool like stations have.

That is why I recommended nerfing internal HP severely(reread the rules I wrote there and tell me that wouldn't make destroying internal HP a lot more pleasant). A ship's defense should come from its armor. Having WMD weapons not be especially good against capital ships is very counterintuitive and leaves no reason not to just stick to a single omni - weapon against everything but stations once the kiting problem is fixed.
 Yes, halving internal HP would make things a lot easier under the current system, but dumping the WMD requirement would serve a similar effect (and yes, I realize that some ships would probably need their internal HP raised as a consequence). This would not make WMD weapons less effective against a capital ship, but neither would a lighter weapon be practically useless against them, either. Besides, once you do get through armor, I would expect shooting a faster firing weapon through a hull breach probably would wreak havoc on the guts of a ship.
JohnBWatson wrote:
Also, giving armor different rules for capital ships as opposed to gunships, on top of the different rules imposed on capital ships already in the form of internal HP, is only going to frustrate players — “Whaddya mean, this piece of armor that took me five minutes to drill through with a dual TeV9 isn’t going to last me fifteen seconds against a Mark I howitzer!?”
A 50% penalty is not drastic, and it can be explained as Capital ships just having more of their armor. A few scattered shots from a Tev9 isn't going to be as harmful when they're spread out across an utterly massive armor segment, but a shot from a howitzer or missile explosion is likely to get a much more solid hit. It's really quite intuitive.
 A 50% penalty is more drastic than you might think, but my real issue here is your claim that a capital ship with the exact same type of armor as a playership is somehow going to inexplicably have a segment of, say, blast plate both cover more area and be harder to damage while retaining the same mass. That’s like saying dough for a small pizza is harder to put a hole through if you spread it out to cover the size of a large pizza. And please, do correct me if I’m misinterpreting what your intended implementation there is, but that’s the way I’m understanding it as it’s been presented. It strikes me as more than a little immersion-breaking. If they have more armor, they should have more armor and not something that amounts to a handwave that says, “Oh, there’s more of it because it’s a bigger ship, you just can’t see it.”
 If anything — and I know this has been suggested before — capital ships need to have dedicated armor made for them, on the order of dozens of tons and ranging from three-digit to four-digit HP per segment on the high end of things in the late game that you’re not going to get through with a few shots of a TeV9 and that are entirely too heavy to put onto a typical playership. Think along the lines of quad-titanium barricade or massive Tharsis plate, but expanded to include the likes of reactive or ceralloy or what have you.

pixelfck
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

I've two thoughts on compartments:

One thing that always surprises me is that you can destroy a compartment, without the adjacent compartments taking any damage. I would expect the adjacent compartments to be damaged quite a bit by destroying the compartment directly next to it.
This change could make taking out capital ships easier (or not, depending on other balancing decisions). Maybe introduce a nice explosion chain when enough compartments are badly damaged and destroying one causes the next one to be destroyed as well, which causes the next one to reach 0 hp, etc.

Right now, the system is black or white. As we have seen before, all or nothing solutions usually lead to balance problems. So, why not introduce something like a 'compartment strength rating' (CSR) ranging from 1 to 7 for example (to counteract the WMD rating). As a result, an Earth Slaver doesn't need to be as though as a Phobos-class dreadnought, which is a good thing: more shades of grey creates a more interesting game experience.

Cheers,
Pixelfck
Download the Black Market Expansion from Xelerus.de today!
My other mods at xelerus.de
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

AssumedPseudonym wrote:  Key word there is “generally.” Exceptions exist, and likely always will.
Strikes me as the rule. I don't know of any vanilla counterexamples, at least, and I've been playing for a while. A few can be distracted during the mission and then kited afterwards, but that's the limit of it.
 Then that’s a separate balance issue altogether that doesn’t need addressed here in the internals thread.
If something is drastically unbalanced, it can't really be used as a metric by which to balance everything else.
 Yes, halving internal HP would make things a lot easier under the current system, but dumping the WMD requirement would serve a similar effect (and yes, I realize that some ships would probably need their internal HP raised as a consequence). This would not make WMD weapons less effective against a capital ship, but neither would a lighter weapon be practically useless against them, either. Besides, once you do get through armor, I would expect shooting a faster firing weapon through a hull breach probably would wreak havoc on the guts of a ship.
Only if it hit something important. That's covered in the other half of my proposed rebalancing.
 A 50% penalty is more drastic than you might think, but my real issue here is your claim that a capital ship with the exact same type of armor as a playership is somehow going to inexplicably have a segment of, say, blast plate both cover more area and be harder to damage while retaining the same mass. That’s like saying dough for a small pizza is harder to put a hole through if you spread it out to cover the size of a large pizza. And please, do correct me if I’m misinterpreting what your intended implementation there is, but that’s the way I’m understanding it as it’s been presented. It strikes me as more than a little immersion-breaking. If they have more armor, they should have more armor and not something that amounts to a handwave that says, “Oh, there’s more of it because it’s a bigger ship, you just can’t see it.”
I believe it's best explained like this:

There is undeniably more of the armor. The ratio of segments to surface area on a capship is vastly different from the ratio of segments to surface area on a non - capital ship, meaning each segment must be orders of magnitude bigger in order to cover the entire ship. The same effect could be achieved by doubling/tripling/decupling the number of armor segments and giving WMD weapons the ability to damage nearby segments, but that would be somewhat storage and runtime - inefficient, not to mention that it would make destroying an armor segment of a capital ship a bit too arbitrary for my taste without incorporating AOE weapons.

You make a good point about the illogicality of being able to transfer the armor to a gunship after looting it, but as I understand it that appears to be something that's just assumed to be possible for the sake of gameplay at this point, like the ability to repair armor without using materials, its ability to be fitted to vastly different hull types, and so on. While I certainly understand your concern here, this strikes me as the best way to maneuver around the physical impossibilities without breaking too many things.
 If anything — and I know this has been suggested before — capital ships need to have dedicated armor made for them, on the order of dozens of tons and ranging from three-digit to four-digit HP per segment on the high end of things in the late game that you’re not going to get through with a few shots of a TeV9 and that are entirely too heavy to put onto a typical playership. Think along the lines of quad-titanium barricade or massive Tharsis plate, but expanded to include the likes of reactive or ceralloy or what have you.
That's another reasonable way of doing this, which I recall proposing a while back. One important point, however, is that DPS for WMD weapons and non - WMD weapons is roughly even without multipliers, meaning weapons that logically should be weak against massive armor segments work just as well as the superheavy bombardment weapons that should logically be effective against them. Thus, I suggested a multiplier that went into effect for extremely large armor segments, making them better resist low - WMD weapons fire.

Overall, what I'm saying here is that, at present, WMD weaponry is not inherently more powerful than non - WMD weaponry, but ammo requirements, cost, rarity, and lack of omni/firerate do often make them a worse choice for fighting off gunships. For the sake of both balance and realism, they do need to be somewhat more useful for dealing with capital ships.

Another way to achieve balance here while retaining uniqueness and a sense of fun could be to make WMD weapons actually be more powerful, with radius effects, much higher damage, and the works, and then massively cut down on their firerate/accuracy to make them less useful against gunships. This would fit well if you're dead set against WMD multipliers, but if we're going that route it would make sense to just eliminate the 'WMD' field entirely(not that there's anything wrong with doing that).

pixelfck wrote:I've two thoughts on compartments:

One thing that always surprises me is that you can destroy a compartment, without the adjacent compartments taking any damage. I would expect the adjacent compartments to be damaged quite a bit by destroying the compartment directly next to it.
This change could make taking out capital ships easier (or not, depending on other balancing decisions). Maybe introduce a nice explosion chain when enough compartments are badly damaged and destroying one causes the next one to be destroyed as well, which causes the next one to reach 0 hp, etc.

Right now, the system is black or white. As we have seen before, all or nothing solutions usually lead to balance problems. So, why not introduce something like a 'compartment strength rating' (CSR) ranging from 1 to 7 for example (to counteract the WMD rating). As a result, an Earth Slaver doesn't need to be as though as a Phobos-class dreadnought, which is a good thing: more shades of grey creates a more interesting game experience.

Cheers,
Pixelfck
1. It could be possible to rig a compartment to explode when destroyed. This strikes me as similar to the previous method of capital ship destruction, where a lucky shot on a non-critical area could destroy the entire ship after the player took down the armor segment covering that area.

2. I like something like this, giving the internal part of capships more nuance. Using my own suggestion as an example, ships could have an 'internals' variable, which could specify hard coded resistance to various weapon effects(not dependent on armor), internal HP's damage multipliers for different WMD types, and outer armor's multipliers against different WMD types.