Weapon balance proposal

Post ideas & suggestions you have pertaining to the game here.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

JohnBWatson wrote:Find a good reason to use a missile or mag launcher over a howitzer. Compare the mk V howitzer to the tritium cannon or Katana, and find any real reason not to use it. Ditto for the Mk III and the Nandao, Behemoth Cannon, or Tev9. Compare the lancer or Flenser to the Sunflare, dual particle weapon, or heavy slam cannon.
Higher DPS and no recoil for the tritium cannon.
Higher projectile speed, no recoil, higher DPS, and a less resisted damage type for the Katana.
The Katana, until recently, completely dominated level 7 weapon selection. The wheel will turn back towards it when internal structure is revised.

The Nandao just sucks. It's balanced as if it didn't use ammo, being a near Mark III clone in particle apart from that drawback. Obviously it can't be buffed without making Earth Slavers overpowered, but I have no clue why it hasn't been turned ammoless. That would make it pretty well balanced in a single stroke. Of course then you'd be complaining about it.
The Behemoth cannon is a higher type weapon than the Mk III with higher WMD and doesn't have recoil. Under the current internal structure mechanics this is just a vastly superior choice apart from the "minor" issue that it never shows up for sale and can't be looted until after higher level weapons are available.
The TeV9 also just sucks, though not as badly as the Nandao. This is related to allied NPC balance.
Level 6 is kind of a desert for good dogfighting weapons that it's actually possible for the player to acquire, though the Thorin 10 has some merit.

The Sunflare just sucks. It's a deliberately sub-par weapon for NPCs that show up before any other particle weapon users at a time when the preferred armor resistances are blast and laser.
The dual particle also kind of sucks. It appeared superior to the lancer when we believed George was using integer division.
The heavy slam cannon just sucks.
Of course the lancer also sucks right now because of the ubiquity of particle resistance. No meaningful balancing can be done on any particle weapons until the planned changes to armor resistances in the ungoverned territories have been released and tested.
The actual preferred dogfighting weapons at this level are currently the Moskva 33 or X-ray.

Comparing "overpowered" weapons either to weapons that are already known to be weak doesn't prove anything and some of your "inferior" alternatives are better than you think.
Literally is the new Figuratively
Aury
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Location: Somewhere in the Frontier on a Hycrotan station, working on new ships.

Smarter more responsive AI should be the solution - if that means adding more behavior and ships, so be it.

Thats the approach I'm taking in TSB
(shpOrder gPlayership 'barrelRoll)
(plySetGenome gPlayer (list 'Varalyn 'nonBinary))
Homelab Servers: Xeon Silver 4110, 16GB | Via Quadcore C4650, 16GB | Athlon 200GE, 8GB | i7 7800X, 32GB | Threadripper 1950X, 32GB | Atom x5 8350, 4GB | Opteron 8174, 16GB | Xeon E5 2620 v3, 8GB | 2x Xeon Silver 4116, 96GB, 2x 1080ti | i7 8700, 32GB, 6500XT
Workstations & Render machines: Threadripper 3990X, 128GB, 6900XT | Threadripper 2990WX, 32GB, 1080ti | Xeon Platinum 8173M, 48GB, 1070ti | R9 3900X, 16GB, Vega64 | 2x E5 2430L v2, 24GB, 970 | R7 3700X, 32GB, A6000
Gaming Systems: R9 5950X, 32GB, 6700XT
Office Systems: Xeon 5318Y, 256GB, A4000
Misc Systems: R5 3500U, 20GB | R5 2400G, 16GB | i5 7640X, 16GB, Vega56 | E5 2620, 8GB, R5 260 | P4 1.8ghz, 0.75GB, Voodoo 5 5500 | Athlon 64 x2 4400+, 1.5GB, FX 5800 Ultra | Pentium D 3.2ghz, 4GB, 7600gt | Celeron g460, 8GB, 730gt | 2x Athlon FX 74, 8GB, 8800gts 512 | FX 9590, 16GB, R9 295x2 | E350, 8GB | Phenom X4 2.6ghz, 16GB, 8800gt | random core2 duo/atom/i5/i7 laptops
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Higher DPS
Barely ten percent higher, and significantly lower once the speedloader is factored into the equation.
and no recoil for the tritium cannon.
Recoil is a slight annoyance for newer players and a slight advantage for experienced players(not factoring in its high usefulness for kiting, because kiting isn't really balanced to begin with). It's nowhere near enough to offset the range, and poweruse differences. Making a weapon more annoying to use isn't a balancing factor, at any rate.
Higher projectile speed, no recoil, higher DPS, and a less resisted damage type for the Katana.

Ion is not less resisted than thermo, at least not enough for it to be worthwhile. Projectile speed is high enough for the mk V that it isn't much of a real problem for it, and DPS is, again, a very small advantage that turns heavily in the opposite direction once the howitzer speedloader is installed.
The Nandao just sucks. It's balanced as if it didn't use ammo, being a near Mark III clone in particle apart from that drawback. Obviously it can't be buffed without making Earth Slavers overpowered, but I have no clue why it hasn't been turned ammoless.
Earth Slavers are arguably OP now, given their turret guns' high DPS and their level of health. Aside from hitting them at range or using overleveled armor, they can't really be beaten efficiently. At any rate, making it ammoless makes it a clone of the mkIII, so I'd suggest giving it a fragmentation effect, better range, and 1.5x damage increase, and leaving it at that.
The Behemoth cannon is a higher type weapon than the Mk III with higher WMD and doesn't have recoil. Under the current internal structure mechanics this is just a vastly superior choice apart from the "minor" issue that it never shows up for sale and can't be looted until after higher level weapons are available.

MKIII DPS is thirty percent higher, and much moreso with the speedloader. Blast isn't resisted nearly enough to offset this, and WMD damage is much higher for the howitzer due to the aforementioned damage disparity. It's an objectively and massively better weapon, and the behemoth cannon, like you said, is nowhere near underpowered.
The TeV9 also just sucks, though not as badly as the Nandao. This is related to allied NPC balance.
Eh, it threatens me as much as anything else in the same region on the occasion that something manages to hit me with it. Centurion firerateadj makes it seem worse than it is.
The Sunflare just sucks. It's a deliberately sub-par weapon for NPCs that show up before any other particle weapon users at a time when the preferred armor resistances are blast and laser.
I'll have to agree on that one. It was designed for back when Heliotropes appeared in the New Beyond(as was everything else of theirs). They should either be moved back there or completely rebalanced, because right now they aren't really a threat to anything.
The dual particle also kind of sucks. It appeared superior to the lancer when we believed George was using integer division.
The heavy slam cannon just sucks.
Depends on your reference point. They're better than lower tier weapons, but they're overshadowed by the ones I pointed out. The curve from average lv5 weapon to average lv7 weapon fits them well.
Of course the lancer also sucks right now because of the ubiquity of particle resistance.
It's not as OP as the Flenser, but it's still OP. The Outer Realm sans Dwarg can basically be solo'd with it.
No meaningful balancing can be done on any particle weapons until the planned changes to armor resistances in the ungoverned territories have been released and tested.
The actual preferred dogfighting weapons at this level are currently the Moskva 33 or X-ray.
Flenser's also objectively better than the x-ray laser, which is rare and powerful enough that nothing of its level should be better for dogfighting without significant drawbacks(like the Moskva's effective range).

Wolfy wrote:Smarter more responsive AI should be the solution - if that means adding more behavior and ships, so be it.

Thats the approach I'm taking in TSB
I'm all for that, though I'd still say that every advantage should be paired with an equal drawback. High range makes it much easier to fight slow enemies using a weapon, so low firerate should be added to make it harder to kill fast ones with.

By the way, how would one go about coding in better AI in a mod? Isn't the basic fighting system hard coded?
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

JohnBWatson wrote:I enjoy(and, in general, prefer) sniper weapons, but at a certain distance they start getting overpowered. Past 100ls, they can effectively kill a station and its entire set of guards with impunity, as well as quite a few late game capital ships. Even 85ls is enough to cleanly avoid any short ranged weaponry while still being vulnerable to retaliation from stations and not breaking the facings system for AI.

I use howitzers as my primary weapon in almost every game. I've hit a friendly ship only a few times, and only killed one, if I recall correctly, so it's hard to call their range a negative balancing factor.
JohnBWatson wrote:Compare the mk V howitzer to the tritium cannon or Katana, and find any real reason not to use it.
 In a word? Recoil. Yes, it really does screw with my playstyle that much, and I seem not the only one. George himself is a good example, if you watch his streams. Watch him with a howitzer and watch him without one; there’s a notable difference (which is a big part of why I suggested he go tritium over howitzer when the upgrades became available).
 I’m going to guess that you have considerably better aim than either George or I do. To me, at least, their range actually is as much a liability as a blessing. Add recoil to the mix and I rarely touch the things. If anything, nerfing their range would give me more incentive to use them, not less.
 Regarding Flensers, I’m not sure they need nerfed, either. Yes, they have a good fire rate. Yes, they have good range. Yes, they are kinetic weapons, which limits their usefulness once you start running into higher level armors. Even something like advanced reactive can take a lot of the sting out of the damage they do. To keep them competitive at all past where you usually can find one (barring the RNG smiling on you in the early systems), you basically need a cannon accelerator, which effectively makes it a two slot weapon at that point. It gets hard to justify spending two device slots on a first tier damage type once you start getting into the Ungoverned Territories, especially since you start getting thermo, ion, or even high-level particle options at that point, and dropping the cannon accelerator pretty much turns it into an underpowered for the enemies you’re running into by then flyswatter and suboptimal basecracker.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

AssumedPseudonym wrote:In a word? Recoil. Yes, it really does screw with my playstyle that much, and I seem not the only one. George himself is a good example, if you watch his streams. Watch him with a howitzer and watch him without one; there’s a notable difference (which is a big part of why I suggested he go tritium over howitzer when the upgrades became available).
It may be a slight factor for very new players, but at worst it makes the weapon somewhat more annoying to use. While I do believe that making a weapon harder to use effectively is a good way of adding a negative balancing factor to a statistically stronger weapon, recoil can be negated by just holding the period key, and over time becomes more of an asset than a drawback.

Ultimately, I don't believe a weapon should be useless to the player after the first run of the game, nor do I believe that there should be a weapon whose only negative balancing factor is being a bit disorienting to use initially.
Yes, they are kinetic weapons, which limits their usefulness once you start running into higher level armors.
Having used it extensively, I don't believe kinetic resistance is sufficient to balance against all of its advantages. It's a cheap, very powerful weapon that can be gotten at a point where it blows everything else in its range out of the water.
It gets hard to justify spending two device slots on a first tier damage type once you start getting into the Ungoverned Territories,
What else would one use the Wolfen's extra(after reactor and cargo bay) device slot on that early in the game? There isn't really another device that doesn't suck power like crazy for a much lower benefit than greatly improving an already unrivaled weapon.
especially since you start getting thermo, ion, or even high-level particle options at that point, and dropping the cannon accelerator pretty much turns it into an underpowered for the enemies you’re running into by then flyswatter and suboptimal basecracker.
I don't swap it out until encountering either the MK V(If I've got a dual Flenser) or the MK III(for a single one). It's still quite viable up until the end of the Ungoverned Territories, which is a bit much for something that can be found in the back end of early game.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

JohnBWatson wrote:
Higher DPS
Barely ten percent higher, and significantly lower once the speedloader is factored into the equation.
You shouldn't be factoring the speedloader into the equation. It costs a slot and gives what the slot is worth. Slightly less, actually. The median enhancer is +50% and the speedloader only works out to +42%. If you run a speedloader on the Mark V and a Lithium Booster on the Tritium Cannon the DPS gap increases.
and no recoil for the tritium cannon.
Recoil is a slight annoyance for newer players and a slight advantage for experienced players(not factoring in its high usefulness for kiting, because kiting isn't really balanced to begin with). It's nowhere near enough to offset the range, and poweruse differences. Making a weapon more annoying to use isn't a balancing factor, at any rate.
AP and George consider the lack of recoil a value. And for close fighting it is, particularly on the Sapphire.

Ion is not less resisted than thermo, at least not enough for it to be worthwhile. Projectile speed is high enough for the mk V that it isn't much of a real problem for it, and DPS is, again, a very small advantage that turns heavily in the opposite direction once the howitzer speedloader is installed.
Ares are ion vulnerable and thermo resistant. Ranx are substantially thermo resistant. Rogue Fleet has ion resistant shields and thermo resistant armor, but gets more of its HP from armor, particularly accounting for the shallow poor natural resistance curves on shields. Only the Kobol and Ventari in the outer realm resist ion more than thermo.

The time gap between a howitzer shell reaching max range and a katana bolt is as great as the entire maximum travel time of the kinetics whose shot speed you always complain about.

MKIII DPS is thirty percent higher, and much moreso with the speedloader. Blast isn't resisted nearly enough to offset this, and WMD damage is much higher for the howitzer due to the aforementioned damage disparity. It's an objectively and massively better weapon, and the behemoth cannon, like you said, is nowhere near underpowered.
Thermo does 66% more damage to level 6 armor than blast. It does 150% more damage to level 7 armor. It only does 25% more to level 5 armor, but at that point level 5 is generally mook armor that either weapon will smash through easily.
It's not as OP as the Flenser, but it's still OP. The Outer Realm sans Dwarg can basically be solo'd with it.
You mean Ungoverned Territories. The Flenser is barely fit to handle sandstorms in the outer realm. You should be able to solo a region with almost any level appropriate weapon. You can solo the Outer Realm except the Iocrym with a tritium cannon or the Ungoverned Territories with a Ballista. You can solo the New Beyond apart from the Charon fortresses with a dual laser.
Flenser's also objectively better than the x-ray laser, which is rare and powerful enough that nothing of its level should be better for dogfighting without significant drawbacks(like the Moskva's effective range).
No it's not. 8d4 is significantly more than 4d8 and the laser collimator is the one enhancer that does more than the median 50%. The extra range is of no advantage in dogfighting. The damage is. Resistances to laser and kinetic are equal on everything in the level 5 weapon domain except pirates and marauders, who use reactive armor. I get the impression you've never done any dogfighting at all. A dogfighting weapon needs almost no range, just enough that you can drop out of your target's explosion size for the last couple shots. This, incidentally, is why almost all of the middle of the road weapons are bad. They aren't getting the higher DPS of a short range configuration or the range for sniper duels and that that combat regime just isn't useful.
Song
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

People, let's avoid having a quote war here. This thread is kinda important.
Mischievous local moderator. She/Her pronouns.
AssumedPseudonym
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

JohnBWatson wrote:It may be a slight factor for very new players, but at worst it makes the weapon somewhat more annoying to use. While I do believe that making a weapon harder to use effectively is a good way of adding a negative balancing factor to a statistically stronger weapon, recoil can be negated by just holding the period key, and over time becomes more of an asset than a drawback.

Ultimately, I don't believe a weapon should be useless to the player after the first run of the game, nor do I believe that there should be a weapon whose only negative balancing factor is being a bit disorienting to use initially.
 You are not every player, and every player is not you. Not everyone is going to handle every weapon the same way, or like every weapon for the same reasons. I don’t like recoil. Some players don’t like ammo-based weapons. Hell, the guy who got me into the game hates omnidirectional weaponry, of all things. You are stating opinions based on your own playstyle in your arguments, not irrefutable facts, and opinions are subjective by definition. And yes, I am entirely aware that I am doing likewise.
JohnBWatson wrote: What else would one use the Wolfen's extra(after reactor and cargo bay) device slot on that early in the game? There isn't really another device that doesn't suck power like crazy for a much lower benefit than greatly improving an already unrivaled weapon.
 An omniturbo with a laser collimator is just as viable a combo as a Flenser and cannon accelerator, and is an even better option if someone can’t otherwise hit the broadside of a barn. I don’t see you complaining about that, though.
JohnBWatson wrote:I don't swap it out until encountering either the MK V(If I've got a dual Flenser) or the MK III(for a single one). It's still quite viable up until the end of the Ungoverned Territories, which is a bit much for something that can be found in the back end of early game.
 Again, you don’t swap it out. Admittedly, I’ve been known to run a dual Flenser and cannon accelerator all the way out to Jiang’s Star, but that tends to be because the RNG has been laughing at me for that run and I either haven’t found enough loot to fund a non-howitzer replacement I like or I just straight up haven’t found decent non-howitzer replacement I like. …But I’ve also done the same thing with an omniturbo or an AK505 with their respective enhancer devices.

…Which is sort of wandering off point, which is that not everything you think needs adjusted for balance actually does, and not everything you think is overpowered actually is, and not everything you suggest as a fix for an issue is necessarily necessary, particularly if it isn’t really an issue to begin with. Loudly declaring something to be a problem does not automatically make it such. Likewise, stating a “fix” for the problem won’t fix a problem that wasn’t there to begin with. Suggesting that there might be an issue with something and offering a potential solution will also rub a lot fewer people the wrong way.
 Of course, loudly proclaiming that nothing is wrong doesn’t mean it isn’t, either.
 In an environment such as this, though, we really do kind of need to aim for an approach that satisfies the most people. If only one person thinks something is wrong when everyone else thinks it’s fine… it probably should be left alone rather than changing it to something everyone else winds up disliking.

Also, I’m sorry, Shrike. I’d started on that post before Atarlost had posted his own reply.

Mod prefixes: 0xA010 (registered) and 0xDCC8 (miscellaneous)

My mods on Xelerus: Click here!

Of all the things I’ve lost in life, I miss my mind the least. (I’m having a lot more fun without it!)
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Atarlost wrote:You shouldn't be factoring the speedloader into the equation. It costs a slot and gives what the slot is worth. Slightly less, actually. The median enhancer is +50% and the speedloader only works out to +42%. If you run a speedloader on the Mark V and a Lithium Booster on the Tritium Cannon the DPS gap increases.
That's only applicable for the Wolfen, and only when running Corporate Command. For every playership with more than one spare device slot, the Lithium Booster exacerbates the difference, as it stacks with the speedloader to push the Mark V even farther above the other weapons of its level. Given that the stock Wolfen can outrun almost everything in the game, the major advantage provided by the range difference is more than enough to compensate for only being able to benefit from one of two enhancers at a time(as opposed to the tritium cannon, which can benefit from one of one enhancer with the Wolfen).
AP and George consider the lack of recoil a value. And for close fighting it is, particularly on the Sapphire.
It's a moderate subjective difference at best. I consider it an advantage, you consider it a disadvantage. The weapon's got almost a quarter more DPS(and twice its base DPS) on an optimized Sapphire than the much shorter ranged, 25% higher poweruse tritium cannon. That's a huge objective difference.
Ares are ion vulnerable and thermo resistant. Ranx are substantially thermo resistant. Rogue Fleet has ion resistant shields and thermo resistant armor, but gets more of its HP from armor, particularly accounting for the shallow poor natural resistance curves on shields.

The Ranx and Ares also tend to rely on capital ships, for which the passthrough doesn't really match WMD damage. The Rogue Fleet has two variants of the same slow, large gunship, an enemy type the Katana is specialized to kill, but they're also a minor faction that doesn't really threaten the player(they really do need their firerateadj toned way down).
The time gap between a howitzer shell reaching max range and a katana bolt is as great as the entire maximum travel time of the kinetics whose shot speed you always complain about.

Early game enemies feature many more light, fast foes, for which shot speed is more essential, especially considering the weapons there tend to be very close ranged, and enemies don't really move in straight lines. When fighting an enemy at long range, especially a capital ship, shot speed is a minor factor.

In addition, the difference there is more a result of the Katana shot being fast than the howitzer shot being slow.
Thermo does 66% more damage to level 6 armor than blast. It does 150% more damage to level 7 armor. It only does 25% more to level 5 armor, but at that point level 5 is generally mook armor that either weapon will smash through easily.
A lot of the better armor is only used by the player(and occasionally friendly ships). The Earth Slaver's armor, for example, doesn't resist thermo at all.
You can solo the Outer Realm except the Iocrym with a tritium cannon
I recall killing it with a MK V, so tritium should work too. In any case, there's no reasonable way anyone's killing Phoboses, Deimoses, or even Kobol with the tritium cannon and not having extreme difficulty.
or the New Beyond with a Ballista.
You can beat the New Beyond with a laser cannon, but that's really more the fault of the two major threats emigrating to the Ungoverned Territories.
You can solo the Ungoverned territories apart from the Charon fortresses with a dual laser.
There's no way anyone can reasonably kill Earth Slavers or Heliotrope destroyers with the dual laser. Not in any sensible amount of time, at least.

In any case, a weapon acquired at Rigel shouldn't be able to clear everything up until we start seeing CSCs without difficulty.
No it's not. 8d4 is significantly more than 4d8 and the laser collimator is the one enhancer that does more than the median 50%.

On average, it's two damage per shot better. That's slightly better than 10% damage in exchange for vastly higher range and much more damage to capital ships and stations. The laser collimator is good(good enough that the OTL crushes its particle counterpart), but ultimately it's only 25% of the original damage better than the kinetic enhancer.
The extra range is of no advantage in dogfighting.
Yes, it is. Pretty much every gunship in the region can be killed or almost killed with the Flenser in the time it takes them to close the distance between the Flenser's max range and the Xray's max range. If you're faster than the enemy, you can permanently stay out of their weapon range.
A dogfighting weapon needs almost no range, just enough that you can drop out of your target's explosion size for the last couple shots.
Only capital ships explode(well, explode enough to hurt, at least). The Xray doesn't have WMD, so it can't kill those(in theory). Dogfighting is for killing gunships, anyways, as dodging turret fire kills your DPS unless you've got the range to stay away from them or an omni weapon.

Back on topic, range definitely matters in dogfighting. Aside from the ability to get the jump on the enemy, a faster(or equally fast) gunship with higher range can just avoid ever getting hit.
This, incidentally, is why almost all of the middle of the road weapons are bad. They aren't getting the higher DPS of a short range configuration or the range for sniper duels and that that combat regime just isn't useful.
Isn't this my point? Omnidirectional weapons can always hit the target, so they have an advantage at short range, making them worthwhile. Howitzers can hit the target from outside retaliation range, making them worthwhile. Medium ranged weapons, like the tritium cannon, EI plasma cannon, or Lamplighter have similar or worse damage than howitzers without the higher range, leaving them desperately in need of an edge.

The most intuitive way of going about this is to divide up their strengths by target. Omni weapons are already best for killing small targets, which is a good niche for them to have. Right now, howitzers can kill everything except very small targets, and the Flenser/Lancer can outright kill anything easily. To make medium ranged weapons viable, Howitzer firerate should be reduced such that they are no longer effective for killing medium gunships and intercepting light gunships before they reach weapon range, making midrange fixed angle weapons the premier choice against medium - weight enemies like heavy gunships while retaining the ability to fight capital ships better than omni weapons and fight interceptors better than heavy weapons.

Basically, I'm saying that the APA is a good model for weapons of its class.

Edit:
Also, I’m sorry, Shrike. I’d started on that post before Atarlost had posted his own reply.
Ditto on that(though I started shortly after Atar's reply, of course).

Now, let's drop this and get back to the topic. What's everyone's opinion on the Uraks' weapon selection? Is the advanced Urak mass driver good enough for its level, and should the Urak howitzer get another buff or is it good as it is? Also, are standard Urak mass drivers used by their sentinels hit by the same problem as the Marauders' turbolaser cannons?

Also, should the Kiloton be buffed? It's a bit weak for a weapon with such heavy ammo, and the RDN definitely feels like a bit of a pushover now.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I swapped Ungoverned Territories and New Beyond.

When you called the Ungoverned Territories the Outer Realm I mentioned it, and then actually addressed the point you'd obviously intended to make. The mention of pirate fortresses, which only exist in the New Beyond should have tipped you off.

I've also addressed your points about the dual flenser as being about the dual flenser where you compare it to level 5 weapons even though you persistently use the name of a lower level weapon.

Lets all not pretend that mistaken terminology is deliberate obtuseness.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

There's been discussion of launchers on Ministry. Is there a graph of those?

Is the Raisermesser ammo common enough? It seems like a fairly effective weapon, but the high cost of getting set up with one has kept me from testing it all that much.

The MAG launcher seems somewhat overspecialized. It's got several kinds of expensive ammo, but they all fill a similar niche, and many aren't really good enough to make it worth forgoing the easier to aim missiles of other launchers.

Micronukes seem better against capital ships than most other missiles, due to their shockwave effect and the fact that they can be resupplied without much cost. Do other late game launchers compete well enough with this?
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

JohnBWatson wrote:The MAG launcher seems somewhat overspecialized. It's got several kinds of expensive ammo, but they all fill a similar niche, and many aren't really good enough to make it worth forgoing the easier to aim missiles of other launchers.
Lower end ammo for the MAG launcher is very effective in the early game, since the 400 MAGs are WMD5 and are cheaper than NAMI missiles.

800F and ZG24 are very effective as anti-ship weapons because of their fragmentation - they're especially great for swarms, and you'll encounter the Dwarg and the Sung shortly after they become common.

Hi-Flux mags are incredibly effective anti-station weapons and anti-capship weapons (probably the best way to save the Charon korolov currently) even into the late game.

The outlier is the JB shield buster, which isn't entirely effective now that there are better shield buster options.

All in all, the MAG launcher is a very well rounded weapon, even without tracking capability.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
JohnBWatson
Fleet Officer
Fleet Officer

Interesting. NAMI missiles can generally be gained in nearly infinite supply just by killing whatever Charon ships happen to attack our Korolov freighters or guard fortresses, while mags tend to be more difficult to acquire. From what you say and their raw stats, they seem balanced enough, but I, at least, was discouraged from using them by the lack of supply.

George has indicated that this will be resolved in 1.7, but what do you think of the idea of mag pods? They'd be slotless external weapons that fire a few mags, to let people try out the weapon before making an investment.

Also, are external launchers supposed to take up a slot? I feel like that kind of defeats the point of having them, and being slotless like CC's side mounted weapons could be the advantage they need for people to start using them.
Xephyr
Militia Captain
Militia Captain

JohnBWatson wrote: From what you say and their raw stats, they seem balanced enough, but I, at least, was discouraged from using them by the lack of supply.
They're available in the hundreds from weapon dealers and stations, which is quite enough for typical gameplay.
JohnBWatson wrote: They'd be slotless external weapons that fire a few mags, to let people try out the weapon before making an investment.
They're not prohibitively expensive, especially compared to late game launchers. It makes more sense to just try it out on whatever playthrough is convenient, particularly when you consider that external launchers aren't really all that popular for most players.
Project Renegade (Beta) : "The Poor Man's Corporate Command!"
Real programmers count from 0. And sometimes I do, too.
Atarlost
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Xephyr wrote:
JohnBWatson wrote: From what you say and their raw stats, they seem balanced enough, but I, at least, was discouraged from using them by the lack of supply.
They're available in the hundreds from weapon dealers and stations, which is quite enough for typical gameplay.
Unless George broke something with the new buy interface, ammunition sold in shops is unlimited if you wait.